Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm thinking of leaving the world of rats....

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by simplysardonic, Feb 11, 2012.

1. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been thinking about this for a while, I can't take the heartache of losing little ones every few months & their short lifespans, the horrors of finding mamm lumps & subsequent removal & treating respy issues, so I'm thinking once my 2 mischiefs have all gone to the Bridge of having a break from ratties:(
    It's been a hard decision but OH has expressed an interest in taking on a couple of ferrets in about 2 or 3 years (he grew up with them & is a big fan) & from what I've read they don't suffer with illness to the extent rats do

2. bewitched

bewitched PetForums VIP

Aww hun, that must be a really hard choice to make but you have to do what's best for you.

3. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

********hugs******

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Awwh I know how you feel...I'm taking a break from ratties after my current lot go over the bridge. In future I might have a small group from Spoiled_Rats as her line seems very healthy and robust, slow aging and long lived. One of her girls turned 39 months recently and she looks amazing. I'd love for my kids in future to experience the love and companionship of some ratties, and I'd love having them again :)

But after my Humbugs leave me, I'm going to concentrate more on making a life for myself, house, car, marriage, travel, and then perhaps going into fostering dogs for a bit.

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I was where you are a few months ago, then I lost Cookie and although this seems totally backward I now feel that instead of worrying how short their lives are I tried hard to remember what their lives were, how they played and loved and enjoyed life. Theres nothing saying you cant have ferrets and rats together but try not to feel too disheartened they have amazing lives with you and enjoy every moment of them, I dont think I could never have a ratty kiss again :eek:. I lost a lot of my rats (the litter mates) very closely together and I wont ever have a large group of similarly aged rats as I couldnt cope with that loss but I will have more rats in the future despite saying that I wouldnt.

6. xkimxo

xkimxo PetForums Senior

I completely understand how you feel, before I started taking in the unwanteds I was actually not planning to get anymore . Then one day decided just to have a look on preloved and was shocked at how many there were being given away. I had 2 pts yesterday which has made me feel incredibly low and I have 4 more that wont be with me for long :(. Sometimes I'm not sure why I put myself through it. Even if you don't have anymore you know you'll get to see some lovely ratty pics on here :)

7. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh Kim, that's awful, sleep tight little ones:(
    ((((hugs)))) to everyone who has lost ratties xxxx

8. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

:(
    It took me years to get back into having rodents I hated losing them and I know in a year or two (hopefully two) when most of mine are older I will feel the same and be heartbroken they are such amazing little animals it's horrible that they don't live longer :(

9. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

((((Hugs))))

10. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Ive had rats on and off for the last 13-14 years.
    Then two years ago I had a break from them.
    Now I have 11 of the stinkers and I wouldn't be without them again I missed them too much. I too felt the same way as you but I just missed kissing those ratty bellies and getting my teeth and ears cleaned and oh that buck smell.

You have to do what's right for you hun xx

11. Donna3939

Donna3939 PetForums Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you are struggling with the (understandable) losses of your beloved rats. You must do whatever is right for you and your situation.

How do you feel about taking of ferrets??

I, on the other hand, have decided to enter the world of rats. I've been doing a LOT of research and have been accepted by a very reputable breeder for some of her rats.

I realise that they are so short-lived compared with other small furries and have accepted that their time on earth is short, however I would like to think that in their short life they will have a good life with me filled with love and fun.

I know what loss feels like, having lost 4 cats (well kittens really, they were all were under 10 months) under various circumstances and like to think that the pain I felt at their deaths were somehow balanced out by all the good times and memories I have of them.

I hope that you can find an answer which sits right in your heart whether that be by leaving the world of rats and staying like that or whether that means you take on a couple of ferrets to fill the gap that will be left by the rats. The best of luck. xxx

12. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Good luck with getting your lovely ratties, they really are very special.
    As to how I feel about ferrets, I love them (there really isn't any animal I don't like TBH) but I'd want them as pets only, hubby would like to work them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice