Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm so sick of my job!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by rachael, Jul 3, 2009.

1. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

For those who don't know I work at a local cattery (animal shelter, but only in the cat unit)

I didn't sign up to clean cat poop.. I signed up to get cats the homes they need!

Our shelter opens to the public at 11am... 4/5 of the days that I work I have to come in at 7am - 12pm.. by 12 we usually have just finished up with cleaning and feeding..

Everybody else working the morning shift is so mean.. They are so negative..

When my boss called me 3-4 weeks ago saying I got the job she told me that my job would be getting to know all the cats and helping people find the perfect one for them..

Once school starts I'll have no choice (thank god) but to work part-time.. But right now they wouldn't change my hours if I asked because three people just quit... (gee I wonder why)

To make matters worse, we are under quarantine for ringworm and have to wear these ridiculous plastic gowns.. It gets so hot!

School starts next month.. I think.. I wish it would come sooner..

2. harleigh

harleigh PetForums Member

I hate my job too. It's awful isn't it? Especially when you think you'll love it and get let down. I'd love to run a cattery one day

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im a nurse and I too hate my job!LOL
    There is something about 'caring' professions that just leave you worn out and totally disillusioned with life..:(
    Buck up though! remember somebody has to do it!!

4. Aud's_Mum

Aud's_Mum PetForums VIP

Hi Rachael.....when you say school do you mean high school or Uni?

I don't think many people enjoy their jobs - its a way and means of paying the bills and the very, very annoying tax man!!

Your boss and colleagues might not appreciate the work you do, but those cats will - just think of that :D

5. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Ill swap jobs with you anyday, cats have to poop and someone has to clean it up, if your there 4/5 times a week then obviously your not the only one cleaning up after them.

I think you should be thankfull you have a job, when there are so many people who are out of work. If you dont like it why not find another job;):)

dipdog likes this.
  6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i may have missed somethin here but surely working with cats if its wat you really wanna do youd be willin to clean poo up.
    its all part and parcel of havin a job. id jump at the chance of working with animals so much so cleaning poop would not bother me in the slightest.

just think you cleanin and feedin them ensured there in a good mood for when their potential owners come along.

no one wants to home a grumpy cat

7. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I would take that job! If it means I get to work with animals, then I can deal with poop scooping, you know you are helping the cats out by doing it, they cant do it themselves.

*Heidi*

8. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

sorry would have to agree with this im unemployed at the moment and would love a job like yours, to work with animals, but there quiet rare to find, beats working in a factory imo, but a job is a job, and it beats being unemployed.

Jen26 likes this.
  9. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

It's not that I'm completely against the idea of scrubbing vomit and poo.. But that is ALL I do!

By school I meant college.

I'm just very disappointed. I wanted to work with the cats.. Not only their fluids!

I want to talk to people and get the cats homes.. I put on a surgical mask today while I was doing some smelly work and my co-workers gave me trouble and said I should just get used to it.. But that's not a smell I want to be okay with. It's natural for me to not like that.

I thought you guys would be a little more supportive..

When I applied for the job this wasn't what I applied for OR what I was told I'd be doing.

10. Shmitty!

Shmitty! PetForums Senior

For the first time in my life I love my job. Sorry. I demo and sell computer games consoles however it is only part time, if it were full time I'd get pretty sick of it too. Day in day out.
    The best jobs would be two part time jobs I reckon.
    I also haven't had a nice job for years and in fact was out of work for a while too.
    I'd love to help in a cattery. I love cats so much.
    You should rest in the knowledge you are doing a wonderful thing and helping those poor cats have a better life while they are there, clean and fed. X

11. catlover

catlover PetForums Member

Welcome to the adult world.. Is there anyone who likes their job???

12. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I think it's really important you should like your job! You're there quite a lot of the time. I loved my previous job. I really enjoyed going to work each day. My currenty job I hate, hate so much I'm leaving after a month. My new job I am so excited at the prospect of starting. I know in this climate people need to be carefull and greatfull they've even got a job, but, I still think it's important to find something you enjoy. I definately work to live, but I still want to look forward to going to the office each day.

To the OP, I worked in a cattery for a couple of years, but I did sign up to clean the poo and also play with the cats. Maybe if you proved yourself, they'd consider reassesing your role there?

13. catlover

catlover PetForums Member

Well i'm nearly 30 I havent enjoyed any job I have ever done, the one I do now is particularly ghastly and the people are awful..still bills have to be paid.

That, at the end of the day is what work is about.

14. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I worked for a shelter, I was told I would be working with the dogs. i started off cleaning up the kennels and sorting out the food. I occasionally got to do a bit of paperwork. I was doing that for ages before I started going at a different time to volunteer to walk the dogs, then I started working with them.
    I didn't care about cleaning up the mess, someone's gotta do it, and you don't start a job at the top, you've gotta work your way up :)

x

kittykat likes this.
  15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you trained and qualified to make such decisions as to who should have what cat and why?

I worked in a kennels and cattery for 7 years, and loved every minute of it, even the poop, pee and vomit. Because i got satisfaction knowing i was making the animals environment pleasant for them.

There is no job with animals that doesnt entail the dirty work. Sometimes you have to start at the bottom, gain some experience and knowledge and work your way up.

Ive worked with aniamls my entire life, and its very rarely hands on, cuddling and playing.

16. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Absolutely - !!!!

17. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

Yes there is one other lady who has been a volunteer (full time.. every day 11am-6pm except Sundays) at the shelter since 1995 who is the one who finalizes and exits animals.. But the days that I actually work later hours I help her and show people cats and give them applications to fill out.

I disagree that it's okay and normal to hate your job. It really upsets me that most of you think I should be okay with cleaning vomit and poo.

Sure you say "someone has to do it".. Well hell that's not me! I feel like I was scammed!

This is bullshit! somebody else can do all of this crap!

I'd feel better about doing it if every other co-worker that I have didn't throw all of their work on me as well and yell at me 24/7.

You guys have no idea what my job is like. I'm constantly taken advantage of and yelled at! These freaking people think they can take their anger out on me! I set them straight today.. And about time. I finally stood up for myself and told them to do their damn job.

I cleaned freaking 30 cages today. By the time I was halfway done one of my co-workers only had done 2 or 3. I told her: "Lynn.. I don't want to rush you, but could you please try to do this a little bit faster.. I could really use your help in the front room when your done in here.."

And you know what she did.. She freaking spent 3 more hours in the damn room doing absolutely nothing!

So then I put my foot down and said "These cages need to be cleaned now and you need to hurry up."

I guess her apology to me was vacuuming and mopping and saying I could clock out "early" even though if she were to be quicker I could have left hours earlier.

Actually today was the 4th of July and I called my boss and she said "Once everybody finishes cleaning then EVERYBODY can leave. But everyone has to finish first."

And when I told this to Lynn she said "Oh great! I'll take my time!"

ASS HOLE. I told her no. I said I have plans to spend the day with my dad for the Holiday so don't take your time..

She did anyway.

And another co-worker of mine finished cleaning one small room and came to the front to help me and I said "Janae, could you please start on the d/d cages?" (d/d is a type of food.. we call one of the big cages that because all the cats in it have the same diet. It's like 5 cats in a three story cage that has holes on each floor. One cat has a chronic illness where it always sneezes so it's a pain to clean his dried up snot.)

She smiled at me and said no. I said "Why not?" and she said "I hate cleaning the d/d cage" and I said "Janae, nobody likes cleaning any of the cages, but we have to do it and I could use your help." and she said "I'm not cleaning d/d/." and all I could say is "Janae.. You work here.. This is your job." and she goes "So do you"

I'm so fed up I'm having such a hard time not typing about swear words. I know I said "crap" and "freaking" and possibly "****" but that's unlike me. I'm so angry!

And I can't just quit because then they will all say things like "Oh I knew she couldn't handle it"

They can all go to hell because one month from now I have a legit excuse to only work afternoon hours and I won't have to deal with their crap!

You know what I'm probably going to call my boss and ask her when is a good time for me and her to talk because I really have problems working with some of the people there.

Sorry for getting angry, but I need to vent somewhere.

18. Shmitty!

Time you got another job hun, if you dislike it that much. You don't HAVE to go somewhere you don't want to. It's your life. Don't be a martyr, just tell them and leave. (find another job first)

19. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

Hi Rach,

Sorry to hear you're having a hard time in your job. I would say screw what they say about you 'not being able to handle it'- if these people are as mean as you say they are then their opinion is worth nothing!

I've been in jobs I hate, I used to cry outside before going in to one of my jobs cos I was bullied by a colleague. I am now in a job that I am happy in and it makes a HUGE difference to my personality. I really think you need to get out of there as soon as possible, for your sanity.

Good luck :)

20. Shmitty!

Here! Here! :smilewinkgrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice