UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story but I'll try to shorten it...

My friend [Mum] and her OH [Dad] had a rescued Yorkie dog, gave it a good life with them for 12 years and then he died.... :'(

Fast forward 5 years... and mum decided she wanted another dog, dad didn't and was adamant about it, Son got involved and also said he'd like a dog but he's in his 20's and could move out at any time.
Mum dotes on her son and gives him all he wants ....and he wanted a Husky! [or even an Akita!!!]

Dad said no way!, but mum and son went off behind dad's back and left a deposit on a husky pup they'd seen. Dad knew nothing and weeks later mum & son went to pick up the pup, [an absolutely stunning husky pup], dad was not happy to say the least, and told them both they have to do everything for it themselves!

That was almost two years ago, during that time mum has hurt her shoulder as husky pulled her over so dad ends up doing 90% of the dogs needs [especially walks] and sons interest and life [girlfriend etc] have changed so he does less! :mad:
We have been away on holiday twice with them and the dog this year, and they have very little control over him, he drags them along most of the time.

This afternoon my SIL [who runs a small animal rescue centre] has been here and was telling me that both mum & dad were asking her recently [at a family party] if she knew of anyone that could take husky on as ''its their sons dog and he's lost interest in it, and its been left to them to look after.. but its too much for them to handle''!

I have of course put my SIL right and told her that IMO it was the mum who got this dog FOR 'her, and her son' without dad even knowing and that he'd now been left to see to all the dogs needs as neither mum or son could now be bothered.

I'm so angry about this because when I knew of their plans I told them that this breed is for people with knowledge, time, energy, and not a breed to take lightly.......their last dog was a Yorkie for goodness sake !!

There is no point at all to this thread other than for me to rant :eek: and hope that the outcome is a perfect one for this stunning dog :confused1:

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
He is gorgeous, not a great fan of huskies but he looks very nice indeed, such a shame.

My bro is talking about getting a husky or malamute pup at the moment and I have been bombarding him with advice from Malmum and SledDog till he convinces me he knows what he getting into. I even started a thread on here, as he says 'help, my crazy brother wants a malamute-what should I do!'

Pretty sure he is set on a pup though! Otherwise........

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
He is gorgeous, not a great fan of huskies but he looks very nice indeed, such a shame.

My bro is talking about getting a husky or malamute pup at the moment and I have been bombarding him with advice from Malmum and SledDog till he convinces me he knows what he getting into. I even started a thread on here, as he says 'help, my crazy brother wants a malamute-what should I do!'

Pretty sure he is set on a pup though! Otherwise........
I saw that thread :thumbup:

Hope he follows their advice xxx

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will the breeder not take their dog back? Poor dog. Being passed around through no fault of his own, just being born. So sad.:(
I have no idea :(

Bearing in mind she doesn't know that I know any of this, I cant really ask her outright, but I will get around to it somehow.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not too bright are they? :rolleyes:

Poor man being lumbered with the care of a dog he never wanted :(
Yea, I feel for him, he's a very placid bloke, just as well really otherwise things might not be as good as they are now?

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
And another one to add to the list.

The siberian Husy Club welfare scheme I know is full or it was with a waiting list and they will only take in KC reg ones anyway.

Might be worth contacting SHWA Raindogs a member on here, they are stretched too as far as I know but might be worth contacting at least.
At least that way he would have a good chance, if they just try to rehome him themselves he could end up going from pillar to post as people just take him on looks only to find they are too much.

About SHWA

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Will the breeder not take their dog back? Poor dog. Being passed around through no fault of his own, just being born. So sad.:(
Thats a very good point if they are a SHCGB member the code of ethics is they should take back a dog they have bred.

Will accept full responsibility for all puppies they have bred. They will always take back, or provide for, any dog of their breeding which needs a new home until they find an alternative suitable home.

Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.

Code of Ethics - Siberian Husky Club of Great Britain - Huskies UK

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And another one to add to the list.

The siberian Husy Club welfare scheme I know is full or it was with a waiting list and they will only take in KC reg ones anyway.

Might be worth contacting SHWA Raindogs a member on here, they are stretched too as far as I know but might be worth contacting at least.
At least that way he would have a good chance, if they just try to rehome him themselves he could end up going from pillar to post as people just take him on looks only to find they are too much.

About SHWA
The thing is they do 'care' for him and I know they would never let him go just anywhere, but when they do eventually tell me [and they definitely will - they are away atm and Husky is in kennels] I will be saying my piece and advising them where to try - I still have a sneaky feeling tho that he will be kept ?? :confused:

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Oh, how sad :( I do wish people would seriously think about pet ownership and not just get them on a whim, it happens all too often!

I've recently decided that I would love a dog at some point. This isn't an option at the moment though, and I'm certainly not going to start looking for any yet, dogs cost so much in terms of space, time and energy that I would have to be able to cater for all of this.

It's a shame not everybody looks into it in this way (then again, I see too many abandoned animals working at the shelter, I wouldn't be able to add to this crisis :mad2:).

I hope he finds a new home soon!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
The thing is they do 'care' for him and I know they would never let him go just anywhere, but when they do eventually tell me [and they definitely will - they are away atm and Husky is in kennels] I will be saying my piece and advising them where to try - I still have a sneaky feeling tho that he will be kept ?? :confused:
Maybe they will just stick with it then lets hope so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.