Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm so at a loss; what is my dog trying to tell me?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Stefanie jordan, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Stefanie jordan

Stefanie jordan PetForums Newbie

I have a three year old miniature Australian shepherd (Hermione); she is incredibly playful and not food motivated...at all. And at three years old I still wouldn't say she is comply housebroken and now we have leaped backwards.

A couple of points; she has recently started showing some interest in treats, but never if we are outside. We are talking about a dog that literally acts offended if you try to give her bacon when outside. I have tried praise and toys and play and nothing holds her attention like what is just naturally outside because what she really wants to do is run and chase bugs and birds.

When she was younger she defied the whole, "dogs won't mess where they sleep." she would; and then she would lay in it. Like she would refuse to go while we were outside, like literally for twelve hours, she would finally go, I would crate her to go to dinner for like...two hours, she would have peed and laid in it. She hasn't done that in a long time and I can safely crate her now.

So fast forward to now; I got a second dog two months ago because we moved from my brothers with his dog, yard, and kids and I felt like she was going to need a playmate. They play together, sleep together, she's generally protective of whiskey (the new dog) and even seems to take some queues from her sometimes...whiskey loves treats and that seems to have interested her in them. But all of a sudden she's pooping on the rug (the rug that she loves...seriously she refused to leave that rug for hours when I first got it) and just now ..she went in Whiskey's crate and peed all over her bed.

Is she jealous? Scared? Feeling displaced? Sick?

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Whilst she is able to happily interact with the other dog I suspect that she has felt the change of dynamics (both the move and the new dog) and so i would see it more as a displacement activity as she may not be quite as confident about the situation as she appears. Marking over the scent of another dog is a relatively common behaviour in dogs (ie; weeing in the new dogs crate) - I see scent marking is just a way of signing themselves in but it can show the dog is unsure why the other dogs scent is there.

When we bring a new dog into the family I think it's quite important to ensure that the established dog still gets some one-to-one time with their owners away from the new arrival. Maybe some walks without the other dog, some time playing in the garden etc. Introducing another dog should be a gradual change not a sudden change in their life. Perhaps take some time to do with with Hermione so that she can see she still has you to herself sometimes. And watch their body language when they are together so you can be sure that both dogs are communicating well with each other. There is often an assumption that dogs will automatically welcome a new dog 'to play with'. In my experience this is often not the case.

Ensure too that you don't make too much of Hermione's 'accidents' or this will further increase her anxiety - just ignore and clean up. Hopefully in time things should settle.

J

O2.0, Burrowzig, lullabydream and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice