Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm scared stiff can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lollielou, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Lollielou

Lollielou PetForums Newbie

Hi there,
    I guess I'm posting here because no one in my world really understands or can advise me. My whole world is wrapped up in our fur baby. He's a 121/2 year old staffy cross and last Thursday he was diagnosed with lymphoma Literally the bottom has fallen out of my world. He's been prescribed perdnisone which has brought back his appetite. He's a happy boy but at times he pants a lot and it's breaking my heart watching him. I only want to do the best for him. I'm bewildered, scared and so sad

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

I'm so sorry. It's hard to know what to say in situations like this. Treasure the time you have with him. Make some good memories. And when you need to talk, there are people here who have been through the same thing.

What has the vet said about treatment?

Lollielou likes this.
  3. Lollielou

Thank you so much for your reply. The vet says it's not curable and chemotherapy wouldn't help him it's beyond that. The thing is 3 months ago at his last check up he was fine. They found nothing wrong. Basically he's on palliative care. My heart is aching. He's such a good happy wee thing. Never been sick a day in his life. I keep wondering was it something I did wrong?

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

No, it's not. Cancer is just one of the things that happens. And sometimes it happens quick. Don't be beating yourself up about it because that will take away from what time you have left.

Dogs live in the moment. Might be a good idea to follow his example.

Lurcherlad and Lollielou like this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

No, you haven't done anything wrong and there is nothing you could have done to prevent this happening.

Sadly, when we get dogs, we know that one day we will lose them, we just don't know how. It always comes as a horrible shock when we realise that day is coming.

All you can do is treasure the time you have left, give him everything that makes him happy and be ready to let him go when he has had enough.

Kimmikins, Lollielou and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Moving to dog health and nutrition for more replies for you.

Lollielou likes this.
  7. Lollielou

Thank you all so much. It really means a lot to me. People think I'm crazy I've heard "it's only a dog" so many times I want to scream.

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Just ignore people who say that. They don't know what they are talking about.

Lollielou and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

That is the last thing anyone here will tell you. They are part of our family.

Lollielou and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Lollielou

He's the child I don't have. I've been in his life since he took his first breath. I revived him when he was born and we formed a bond from then on. He's my partner in crime and best buddy

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Is that him in your avatar? With the big teeth? :D

Lollielou likes this.
  12. Lollielou

Yes that's him. He's called tj. He's the silliest dog you could imagine. So much fun bless him

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sad to hear :(

Cherish the time you have left and take some comfort from knowing you can save him from suffering when the time comes.

Lollielou likes this.
  14. Lollielou

That's what we are doing. He was spoilt silly amounts before he got ill but now ive progressed to hyperdrive spoiling. I'm trying to squeeze in every single ounce of love I can. People don't understand that they depend on us for everything and in return they give so much unconditional love and loyalty

15. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry that TJ has been given this nasty diagnosis. Cancer sucks, and when it affects our babies it feels so unfair. I can only echo what everyone has said, really; treasure every moment with him, make lots of lovely memories and love him as much as you clearly do xx

Lollielou likes this.
  16. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Best wishes and gentle hugs !

Lollielou likes this.
  17. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about Tj. I lost one of my rottie bitches to lymphoma some years ago now, she was 6 and it broke my heart.

Lollielou likes this.
  18. Lollielou

Thank you all so much for replying. Oh my goodness, six is so so young. Did it just come out of the blue like his has? I spend so much time with him I can't believe I didn't see it coming.

19. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I know exactly how you feel - helpless. When Ferdie was struggling to get to his feet and there was nothing I could do to help him because he was 12 stone and I'm on my own, I just wanted to cry. But he was ten and a giant breed and he had had the best life he could have had and that's what you have to remind yourself. 12 1/2 is a good age for any dog and I bet he's been spoilt rotten. You don't really want to put him through chemotherapy, do you? So the vet saying it wouldn't help is probably a blessing. He has taken the decision out of your hands and you won't have to feel guilty because you didn't use it.

Cancer can strike anyone at any time, even in humans. My husband had an uncle who died of lung cancer without ever knowing he had it, just passed away in his sleep. He had a cousin who thought she had an abscess on her tooth but it was cancer. Two days later, she was gone. If you dog is still smiling, he's not in any pain and he's enjoying his food, all you can do is love him.

Kimmikins likes this.
  20. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Yes, she was a happy lively girl, pulled up lame on a walk one day, took her to the vet - they advised rest and pain relief, next day noticed a big lump in her groin which was black coloured, took her back to the vet, they didn't like the look of it so biopsied it and it came back as lymphoma, it was a lymph node that had gone necrotic and was causing discomfort so they removed the whole lump and we tried chemo but it only put her in remission for about 6 weeks then came back with the lymph nodes in her neck so big she stopped eating. It was such a shock.

Lollielou likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice