Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm quite miffed. What would you do?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blkcat, Oct 3, 2018.

1. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Blk had been throwing up for the last day or so. Mostly clear liquid, sometimes with fur in it.

I thought it was a bit strange he was throwing up fur, because he's barely shedding when I brush him at the moment.

Got up this morning and he had scabs on his neck.

I found a flea on him this morning, just one. All the pieces fell into place.

He's allergic to fleas. He's been over grooming his tummy because of this.

Thing is, Blk hasn't been outside further than the balcony for months. He hasn't hasn't had fleas for I can't remember how many years.

He did go to the vets for his annual check up three weeks ago at the vets though. That's quite literally the only place he's been. I've barely left the house myself in the last week or so, I've had flu.

I did find one tiny scab behind an ear a week ago, but didn't think too much of it because, he a house cat who hasn't had fleas for years and he'd just had his annual all clear.

Do you think I'm right to suspect he got them at the vets and if so, should I say something to them?

I know we will get it back in hand. But I'm so annoyed seeing him suffer. It feels needless, we've kept the critters at bay for so long.

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Personally I would be surprised if he managed to pick up fleas at the vets when all he was in for was an annual health check as tables are disinfected between clients ( or at least should be) .
    It is more likely someone or something has brought them in on footwear or clothing.
    It only takes one bite from a flea to start a reaction in an allergic cat so it is always possible that the scab you found behind his ear was also from a flea,

Royalty, moggie14, Tigermoon and 3 others like this.
  3. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I guess that's what I'm getting at. What if something has gone a miss? They always use one of their own combs to check for fleas.

I don't mean to accuse them, but I wonder if I shoukd say something so they can look into their cleaning processes.

No one has been out or out if my place expect me. The few times I have been out, I haven't been further than the local shop.

I know it could still happen, but when it hasn't done so for many years it's really got me wondering.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I remember recently reading a thread where a newbie was similarly annoyed because she suspected her cat had picked up fleas from a vet visit. Very similar answers to what you're getting

chillminx and blkcat like this.
  5. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

So his flea treatment is up to date? I really have not heard of a cat getting fleas from a vets but I would think it’s not impossible.

blkcat likes this.
  6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Highly unlikely he picked it up at the vets as he wasn't an in-patient. As three weeks have passed, your whole house would be jumping if he had.

moggie14, buffie and blkcat like this.
  7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I suppose if another animal at the vet had fleas, not necessarily on the exam table but in the waiting room etc. it could have gotten on your clothing, footwear or your cat. Even his carrier and you accidently brought it back.
    I don't know about the combs but would assume if it was done they would sterilize or disinfect the combs between use.

Linda Weasel, Soozi and blkcat like this.
  8. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Fair enough. Thank you all for your input. I'm glad I asked before I made a thing of it with them. I'll focus my frustrations on cleaning instead.

I guess I was pretty shocked because after his allergy diagnosis, we've only ever had one reoccurance in 8 or 9 years and I knew exactly why that was (I let another cat visit).

sandy-cat and Soozi like this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Just as a precaution as he is indoors aside from the balcony, ask they don't use a flea comb on him next time. I am assuming with his allergy, he would react if exposed, so you would know he had fleas.

blkcat likes this.
  10. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I think that's the most proactive thing I can do next time, I suppose I could even take his own comb. Thank you for the suggestion :)

Summercat likes this.
  11. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

To be honest the last batch of fleas we had I have no idea where they came from. I found three, 1 on one cat, and 2 on another cat, never found anything on any of the others, not even dirt. I treated them all and sprayed the house. We hadn't had fleas for quite a while before then, so I was baffled.

blkcat likes this.
  13. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

Such puzzling things, perhaps it's silly trying to guess. I'll just count myself lucky I've only found one solitary beast all day. Hopefully that will be the last one of I'm vigilant.

Thanks for helping me think this through out loud.

14. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

In all my years of owning cats, I've never had a vet check them for fleas. Is that weird?

15. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I think your word should be good enough really. I always tell him he's clear, but they always check anyway. They only comb just above his tail and the back of his neck. I've always wondered if it's to make it easier to sell spot ons.

I didn't really mind, at least they are being thorough.

MilleD likes this.
  16. Clairabella

Clairabella PetForums VIP

It is possible that it could have been brought into ur home on your clothes or on the clothes of someone who has visited or ur partner even? Can you link anyone with animals?

Council workers in particular seem to take them home where they are in and out of different houses where pets are. My sister was also sat next to a colleague in work and one jumped on her, on a ward!

I’ve also had fleas brought into my house on more than one occasion and at the time I didn’t have pets. Amy was a baby. I had them in my car where the person had been given a lift too.

Is there anything similar u can think of? A visitor perhaps with pets or you or ur partner having contact with other people’s pets and could’ve then carried them home to ur house on ur clothes xx

Gallifreyangirl, Soozi and Summercat like this.
  17. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Does it really matter where they came from? It’s not like it was done deliberately. Just as it’s possible for humans to pick up viruses in a doctors surgery; I guess it’s possible for animals to pick up fleas from a vet’s waiting room if another cat with fleas has been there. All that matters is that you know they are there, so now you can carry out the necessary treatment of your cat and home to get rid of them. I don’t think going to a vet making accusations is a good idea at all. You have no proof.

mrs phas likes this.
  18. Royalty

Royalty PetForums Member

Totally agree

19. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Are there any cats in your neighbourhood ? If so flea eggs would be shed into the environment from those cats. The flea eggs hatch and become larvae which hide in nooks and crevices and feed on detritus in the environment then pupate. Newly hatched fleas are attracted to warm sources passing by and that could as easily be a human as another animal. I don't think it would be unusual for fleas to be carried into the home on clothing and therefore start a population inside the house if they have a food source (your cat).

Vets surgeries have fewer nooks and crevices in communal areas and most areas are cleaned thoroughly thouroughly. In addition most cats are brought in in baskets or crates. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that a flea ridden cat transferred their cargo to the vet who then passed some on to your cat but I think the chances of that are as likely as bringing them in yourself from the environment. I certainly wouldn't recommend you challenge the vets about it unless you have proof.

Any contact with the outside world that your cat hahas either directly or indirectly potentially exposes them to pathogens and parasites. Unless you use a barrier approach and keep all street clothes and objects brought in from outside separate from your cat there will always be a minor risk of transference. That's why vaccinations are recommended, at least the first ones as disease can as easily be brought in.

It's good you noticed something was amiss and able to rectify it. If you have a cat dense population in your area or neighbours with cats then it would be advisable to treat your cat with a flea product regularly as a preventative measure as well as your home.

blkcat likes this.
  20. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

I was never intending to accuse anyone. I simply wondered if I should bring it up because at that moment, I was totally at a loss as to what could have happened. I'm not really sure what protocol is, hence me asking the question. If I knew, I wouldn't ask.

Still haven't found anymore, or any eggs or dirt. Scabs are healing, if anyone wondered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice