Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm planning on buying a puppy, but I have no experience. HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Megaan, May 31, 2010.

1. Megaan

Megaan PetForums Newbie

My family is planning to buy a puppy after we move into our new home.
    The problem is, I'm a first time dog owner and I don't know what breed I should buy, and what are the things I should look out for.
    Simply saying, I know nothing about taking care of dogs. :confused:
    I wanted to buy a Siberian Husky, but I researched abit and I found out they shed alot.
    Should I get a Siberian Husky?
    What breed do you suggest for first time dog owners?
    And to those experienced dog owners out there, please share some advice, it would be of great help! Thanks! :)

2. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Huskies aren't easy dogs incredibly intelligent but not inclined to listen to you, very high energy need a lot of exercise, high prey drive so can only be let offlead in safe areas. I wouldn't recommend them for first time owners.

What kind of dog do you want in terms of size, exercise, grooming, friendliness with children or other animals, friendly and cuddly or more aloof.

3. WeimyLady

WeimyLady PetForums Senior

Siberian Huskies are not for first time dog owners!

What is your planned schedule for the puppy? do you work (with a puppy, full time work is not generally compatible)? are fully aware of the commitment needed for the next 12+ years?

4. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Maybe go to a rescue....they can match a dog up to your experience and lifestyle. If not, then get a Jack Russell or Labrador, something that is family friendly and relatively "easy" to manage.

Labradors can be pullers, but are loving bouncy and fun.

My JR is a sweetie and loves everyone, not saying all JR will be like that, some are yappy.

Or what about a greyhound? They are easy and there are lots in the rescue. Couch potatoes and happy with 2 X 20 minute walks daily.

xx

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

What size of dog do you like? Do you like long or short coats?

labradors and caveliers are often recommended as first time dogs. Both are gentle and easily trainable.

There are loads and loads of loving dogs desperatley seeking homes in rescue at the moment.

6. Megaan

Megaan PetForums Newbie

Friendly and cuddly is a definite yes.
    I like big dogs, but I'm afraid they're hard to handle.
    As for exercise and grooming, I have time to do things like that, but I don't think I can handle those that need extra care.
    Thanks so much for the advice! :)

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

What about greyhounds? They only need 20mins of exercise a day, are friendly, short coat, low maintainence, just you can't let them off lead unless in a secure area and some may chase and kill cats and small mammals in the house.

Labradors are good first time dogs, friendly, low maintainence coat, does shed however, about 1-2 hours of exercise a day, great with kids and other pets.

#7 SEVEN_PETS, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  8. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Good luck in finding your new forever loving companion, hope all works out, all the best xxx

P.S. definately think a greyhound or lab!!

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Labrador, golden retriever or if you like even bigger dogs there are some great giant breeds for beginners like newfoundlands and saint bernards. Bigger dogs aren't too hard to handle I'm 5'1" and I'm getting a giant schnauzer next year you just have to train them well. Greyhound would be good too

10. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I think you need to give us some more information before meaningful advice can be offered. Tell us a bit about the enviroment you will be offering a dog and tell us why you want a dog i.e. what aspects of dog ownership appeal to you. Is it important to you to have a dog that can go off-lead? Do you want to commit yourself to long walks in all weathers or prefer a dog that will be happy with twenty minutes round the block? Easily biddable or independent spirit? Etc.

Since all breed guidelines are only guidelines and the individuals can vary from typical to a large degree, an assessed adult rescue from a reputable shelter is the best and safest bet for a first-time owner as the rescue will know the dogs well and will match temperament to owner's enviroment (as well as providing back-up).

#10 Johnderondon, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  11. Megaan

Megaan PetForums Newbie

Thank you for helping out! I guess I need to put more thought into this. :)

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Well people on here will be happy to answer any questions you're going about this the right way.

13. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

When you have an idea about breed or type and size there will be plenty of people that would love to help you on here.

Start looking at lots of breeds on the internet and narrow it down a bit. Then you can start to research which will fit in with your family.

Good luck

14. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

I think that owning a puppy/dog is more of a commitment than having a baby/child.:)

Children go to nursery, then school, they grow up, become dependant, dogs don't. You are responsible 24/7 for dogs.

Puppies are lovely and cuddly, they also chew, nip fingers and toes etc. wee and poo in house, until house trained, and even then you'll still get the odd accident, sometime due to illness. They need constant supervision and monitoring, as well as training.

The there's the vets fees when they are needed - unusually £25 plus consultation fee, before any treatment costs. Dog insurance is the easiest answer for that.

That's just a few things, there's loads more.;)

Dogs can be very rewarding, they can also be very demanding.

Good luck with your search for your puppy/dog, as mentioned, rescue centres are probably your best option as you will be able to get plenty of advise from them.

15. Megaan

Megaan PetForums Newbie

Maybe a lab or greyhound is good. But I might have to discuss it with my family.
    What about Shiba Inus?

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Not for beginners smart, fast, small but powerful, high prey drive and don't listen easily. Not that common here either or maybe just were I live.

Labs and greyhounds are good for beginners

17. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Shiba inus can be vocal dogs, I believe and they do need a lot of exercise. I would avoid the northern breeds, like huskys, malamutes, akitas etc.

18. Megaan

Megaan PetForums Newbie

Wow.. Okay..
    I guess all the beautiful dogs are hard to maintain. xD
    But I heard labs do shed alot. And my mom doesn't like cleaning and.. you know what I mean. xD

19. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Labs do shed quite a bit. How about a poodle? Standards are pretty big, smart, athletic

20. Megaan

Megaan PetForums Newbie

Hmmm.. Okay I'll think about it. :) Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice