Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

im officially in maine coon labour...(questions about deformed chest also pls help)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marleyboo, Jan 16, 2012.

1. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

update , we will be getting our beautiful new boy on the 29th , hes so beautiful im so excited

these are susans photos from her wonderful site x

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thankyou so much for the help everybody, i heard back from this sweet lady about tarrique, and im now trying to arrange a day or time that will be convienient to pick him up. im so excited hes perfect for us. hes due to be neutered this week which is ideal too.

she also mentioned she has another boy there too. he has a deformed chest, i wanted to ask to see how severe off an issue it would be.

this is her information for me?she initially thought it was just a deformed ribcage...

"The vet told me he has a condition that affects the diaphragm and heart. He does have a mild heart murmur however lots of kittens do have this , the vet said it could be what they call an innocent kitten murmur which will fade away."

were seriously considering both boys, im just not sure how severe this is? also if he needs any treatments, is there any kind of help we can recieve toward the cost? id love to take this home also give him a forever home , but i have to know before i commit that i can financially cope with this little guy???

has anybody perhaps had an experience of this? the breeder is a lovely lady .

no matter what we decide we defonetly want tarrique, just hoping and wishing we can bring the other boy home too xx:001_wub:

#1 marleyboo, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    Ingrid25 likes this.
  2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't like to comment on a deformity I've not seen nor had any experience of so can't really help with any thoughts on that. If the kitten has future health problems I honestly cannot see where you might be able to get some financial help - unless this was formally agreed with the breeder at the outset.

The murmur could be innocent. However, I think it well worth asking, if you haven't already, if both parents of the kittens have been tested for HCM (a heart condition) which is something of a problem within Maine Coons. Reputable breeders screen for this via a simple DNA test.

3. McSquirtle

McSquirtle PetForums Senior

Hi :)
    How exciting that you'll be picking up your baby soon. I love maine coons, beautiful.
    It would depend on the severity of the condition, if she has had him checked by a vet could you gain more information from the vet or probe the breeder (rescue) about it more? It obviously needs careful consideration. Do you know the grade of murmur he has? What is the deformity affecting his diaphragm?
    I don't want to discourage you too much but we had a silver maine coon kitten that came into work. He was found to have a grade 4 heart murmur and had to be on constant medication. Unfortunately the owners handed him over, but he was adopted by one of our nurses. Last week he deteriorated and she had to put him to sleep.(he was around 2 or 3 I think) Because of our occupation she was very lucky to receive the medication he required at cost, but they would have been very expensive as heart conditions are costly to treat.
    Hope this helps, sorry to put a dampener on the situation. You need to make the right choice for you ultimately :)

4. marleyboo

thankyou both very much. i just called my vets im registered with xrays will be around 80-90 pounds, she said if the cat does have more problems they may be costly :(

im not sure what kind he has...she just said mild. il ask her on the next message.

i called our rspca clinic and they dont have xray equipment there.:(

wish there was some sort of financial help you could recieve.. i hate talking about animals and money but they cost so much to keep, and with vaccinations , flea treatments and unexpected problems that will incur costs its a tough situtation,

i wish there was some kinf of insurance you could use? but im guessing even if there was they would not insure a cat like this :incazzato:

going to feel so guilty picking big boy up and leaving this little guy there. desperatly want him :( xxx

5. marleyboo

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Marleyboo....I would advise strongly against letting your heart rule your head in this situation. Taking on this little guy could well leave you with untold vet bills and untold heart ache. remember that these conditions will not be covered by any insurance policy.
    It is situations like this which should convince people that breeding properly is not easy, really I think the breeder should be keeping this little one herself and accepting responsibility. I am surprised that she is prepared to even think about selling this kitten to someone she has just made contact with ( ie, I could see her letting the kitten go to a close friend/contact or relative where she can keep some element of control if she really has no space in her own home for it ) Nothing personal against you of course!
    Tarrique is gorgeous, so very very handsome.....enjoy him but don't bite off more than you can chew!

colliemerles likes this.
  7. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Better speak to the breeder's vet directly, and have him show and explain the x-rays. If necessary, seek a second opinion.

8. marleyboo

hi paddy paws thankyou for your sensible advice, sorry i didnt want to make it sound like this breeder is irresponsible. she wasnt offering him for sale attal. i told her we were interested in a cat/kitten she replied with the older boy , then mentioned she did have a younger cat but he had medical problems. shes been very upfront and honest about the cats condition, so please dont think bad of her. there was no talk off *buying this kitten* . ofcourse i would love to give this little guy a forever home , but i know what you mean.im going to have a talk with my o/h when hes home. i do truly want to bring him home hed ve so happy even if his life was short , its just a shame there is no kind of insurance or something that could help with the costs off taking care of a poorly animal :confused:

just want to repeat to anybody reading this breeder is a very resposible and sweet lady... she has asked for no cost for the kitten, hes having his second lot of vaccinations this week so perhaps she will know more about his condition then? thankyou for your advice again xxxx

9. marleyboo

thankyou! i called our vet this morning to see costs for xrays and any treatment the cat would need. she said xray would be around 80-90 pounds but they would not know what treatment hed need without seeing the xrays.

she said many cats can lead happy normal lives, its depends on the severity of the condition. :( just cant help think off giving this baby a huge snuggle.

will keep you al updated we are going for tarrique for sure, she said he gets on with other cats very well and is a sweet sociable boy, i think hed be the perfect addition for us :001_wub:

10. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

:001_wub: the little tortie & white girl!!

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Yes!!!! I think I could relax my 'no ginger cats' policy for her, what a beauty.
    Marleyboo.....Sorry if my reply sounded harsh or critical of the breeder, it wasn't meant to come over that strongly. Her cats look absolutely divine and I am sure she is 100% committed to them.

12. marleyboo

oh not attal , i just didnt want anybody thinking id wrote this all and was speaking negatively about the breeder as shes been wonderful.you didnt sound harsh attal... i honestly appreciate your advice. were definetly bringing tarrique home :yesnod::D

but i dont think well be bringing little man home. she did say he cannot go yet anyway. he is seeing the vet. so were going to bring tarrique back home and il keep in contact about the little man , if money wasnt such a horrible issue nothing else would matter :(xx

we should be picking him up on the 29th of this month so im really excited now. we shall have to prepare for his arrival and ofcourse make lots of fuss of marley too so she does not feel left out :001_wub:

13. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Oh wow, Tarrique is gorgeous :D

Holly was diagnosed with a grade 1 heart murmur at her first lot of jabs.
    The vet said the same thing about it being innocent and could fade.
    At her second lot of jabs it had vanished :)

I cant offer any advice about the chest deformity though, but I would wait and see what happens with the murmur at his next visit, it could well be gone by then :)

14. marleyboo

isnt he just adoreable! he looks a similar colour to your mc (who you must know i think is gorgeous!).. she said hes not ready yet. so i think when we pick tarique up well see him and have a snuggle and keep in contact id really love to offer him a home , just have to make sure financially i can look after him the way he deserves to be looked after :)

if it were just the murmer wed take him, its the chest that worries me...nothing cosmetically he could have 3 eyes for all i care, but from what ive read it puts pressure on the internal organs :( poor little boy xx

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

is it flat chest syndrome? Have a look at this PawPeds Seems to indicate that if they survive to 16 weeks and are a good size and kitten like then they will be okay. Looks like neutering can be a little more risky but other than that they should lead a normal life. I would ask for him to be neutered if he hasn't already and then take him - he will be a very loving boy.

#15 spid, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  16. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

Does this cat have FCKS? Flat Chested Kittens

My Peggles has this, because of it his organs have moved slightly to where they normally would be and he does get very out of breath quickly. He also had a very badly deformed leg so only has 3 legs. The vets have told me that Peggles is unlikely to live a very long time because of his condition too. I took Peggles on knowing full well he might not live long but I knew what I was getting into with him and did a lot of research on his condition, had lengthy talks with the vets about him before I made my decision. Before you take this cat on make sure you are aware of everything to do with his condition, ask the breeder to pass on the cats vet records to your vet so he can tell you what you are getting yourself into before making your mind up.

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

snap . . . . .

18. Crushmer

Crushmer PetForums Member

The chest thing could also be Funnel chest, rescued a kitten once who had it quite severely and she is fine. Only thing I've noticed is when she runs and plays she will get tired quicker than a normal kitten, but will just rest a while and continue playing...:)

19. marleyboo

hi ladies , i only know what the breeder has told me, she said shed ask the vet for the medical term. i think you are right about the flat chest yes!

he looks perfectly healthy , i think maybe one of his legs is slightly bowed(i think) i could have been the angle of the photo?

he has a heart murmer, she says until he has xrays nobody knows how bad it is? she said currently he appears very happy and healthy but the vet has told her sometimes its not too serious sometimes it can be, he is having his 2nd lot of vaccinations so shes going to let me know how it goes...

ladies believe me i would not take a cat i couldnt afford to care for which sadly i think would probably be the case :( i doubt well take him. however im going to keep in touch and see how he gets on... it could turn out after xrays and further examinations it may not be as serious.?? id so love to give this baby a home but im trying very hard to use my head on this one... :001_wub:

20. marleyboo

thankyou for all of this advice again, you ladies are fab. i hadnt got a clue about this... so thankyou.

my older boy is 100% healthy , its just this little kitten sadly. im keeping in contact with her and il meet him when we bring tarrique home. perhaps well know more soon about this little man and what exactly is wrong with him.

xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice