Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm not trying to be sexist but..

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by lily74, Oct 22, 2012.

1. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

Does anyone allow extra caution if a single man rings up asking for his dogs to be walked?

Personally get a bit wary if a single man rings me up, in this day and age it is right to be cautious right? I know I shouldnt prejudge but I think safety is paramount

What measures should I put in place if any going to their house for a consultation etc ?

Thanks

2. Chelsie02

Chelsie02 PetForums Newbie

I would be cautious, but that's the news and media of today that makes you think like this, but it doesn't hurt to be careful!

If it was me, I'd maybe go with a friend/family member to meet the man... they don't have to come in with you, but as long as they're outside, then you have a lifeline. If you both have your mobiles with you, then that's even safer, if anything happens, ring your friend. Even if you can't speak to them if something did happen, as long as it rings their phone, it could be a warning sign that things are not going well?

Personally, that's what I'd do lol :)

3. EssexWags

EssexWags PetForums Member

I had a meet and greet with a male dog owner at the park, he bought his dad with him....guess it works both ways :):)

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I make it that if I don't phone there's a problem.

5. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

Yes, think I will do that thanks:)

6. melbury

melbury PetForums VIP

try a shotgun lol:001_tt1:

7. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

sorry but just coz he is single and male doesnt mean to say he is going to attack you. yes there are a tiny few that could, but a great deal wouldnt. i for one being single would NEVER attack a women

8. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

I understand where you are coming from totally, and I never said he was going to attack me, I just said I have to be careful. Most men wouldn't attack a woman, most men are gentlemen, but I have to remember he is a stranger and I will be a woman on my own entering a strangers house...

I have been followed before, and I am now naturally careful you have to be unfortunately:(

9. BoredomBusters

BoredomBusters PetForums VIP

I don't take any extra precautions because I never ask marital status when I make appointments, so wouldn't know if someone is single, gay, married, divorced etc.

Apart from anything else, I have their address...

10. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

i understand what you mean, its a shame our world has turned into this.

11. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

Yes I agree, nothing against you or mankind at all, as I say I know alot of men that wouldn't hurt a flea, but better to be safe than sorry I think you just dont know who is out there...

Once you have have bad experience its hard to trust again sadly, it makes it a grim reality that you never thought would happen:(

Before I was followed I would walk anywhere, etc and not give it a second thought.

12. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

I think that woman on general are more like maniacs than men!!!

I'm female, and I find females much more irrational than males.

If it was me, I'd probably take my dog along to the meet and greet if I thought there would be a problem. Or take a panic alarm or something.

13. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Not sure what I can add advice wise if you have to visit their homes for the initial consultation.

I know it's not exactly the same thing because the nature of dog walking is quite different but people that work as self-employed holistic therapists have no end of trouble with dodgy characters. Out of my friends I can't tell you how often you can get to the end of a seemingly perfectly legit consultation only to be asked if you offer a "happy ending" or equally creepy requests. It's the reason why a lot don't work out of their own homes because it's just too risky! I'm also sad to say that it is pretty much exclusively male clients asking for that sort of thing- though on occasion you get a wife asking on behalf of their husband! :eek:

14. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

That honestly doesnt surprise me at all, as I say I have been on the receiving end of someone dodgy and it is more common than people realise!

Women, and men need to protect themselves especially meeting strangers but I feel women are more vulnerable.

I agree with the op women can be equal or worse than men violence wise, but we need to remember that most rapes/ attacks are commited by men and men are usually stronger than women and more able to overcome them thats a fact.

15. lily74

lily74 PetForums Senior

Totally agree about the irrational bit, I lack the strength of a man that is the problem that I would have defending myself.

I would take my dog but he is a big softy!lol Panic alarm is a good idea for piece of mind though.

16. househens

househens Guest

I think you should do a whole days plan, areas you intend to walk, and times, and send to someone trusted. Will help if you have an accident, as well. If you break down/are in need of lift, photograph the plate no AND SEND TO A FRIEND, you know is responsible and will know what is happening. Don't delete if they drive off, as often baddies will stop, assess opportunities, and return. Photograph all cars that stop or slow down and SEND them. You can delete them later, and if anyone seems odd, tell them their no plate is already on a friends computer. When at initial interview, ring your home or close friend and say where you are and how long you expect to be there, and pretend you are having to buy something and return ASAP, in front of person..

#16 househens, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2012
  17. jesterjenn

jesterjenn PetForums Senior

I doubt he'd be a big softy if his pack was threatened!!!

I used to have a Westie before the shepherds, and he was one to watch if someone put us to threat. He left holes in my Dad's thigh just from play fighting with us. He was as soft as putty the rest of the time though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice