Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm new to DIY raw feeding.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Chris Mason, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Chris Mason

Chris Mason PetForums Newbie

I just need someone to check my maths.

All three of my dogs are premade raw fed and I'd like to move over to doing some DIY raw meals (I don't plan on going full DIY, we don't have the time sadly)

The first meal I'd like to do is:
    lamb heart(122g),
    chicken feet(31g -roughly 45% meat 55%bone)

Lamb liver(8.5g)
    Lamb kidney(8.5g) (or what ever we can find organ wise)
    +
    Cotswold Shepard's mix + organic tumeric powder.

If my maths are correct this will be 80% 10% 5% 5%.(170g per meal for the eldest dog) I know raw feeding can be balanced over the course of the week but these meals will be fed along side pre-made raw and I know I'll forget and struggle to keep it balanced if I don't prepare meals like this. We chose chicken feet as she's a senior, we chose hearts as we can get a good deal and we will choose what ever organs are available.
    Feel free to correct this recipe or improve it.
    She's a senior and on 170g per meal - mixed breed (rescue-Romanian street dog)

Thank you, kindest regards

2. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

Be careful not to overfeed her.

Paelo Ridge have a calculator on what you should be feeding daily: https://paleoridgeraw.uk/raw-dog-food-calculator

I wouldn't over obsess with the % especially if she's older.

@niamh123 is a firm-believer on give your dog what you think is enough for them; i 2nd that.

It only ends up coming out the other end sooner or later! If she's a street dog I am assuming she has long walks so that'll help her walk it off

3. Chris Mason

All three dogs are lean and in my opinion the perfect weight so I'm not worried about over feeding. (I know to do 2 / 2.5 or 3% of ideal weight)

Would you consider that recipe to be okay though? I agree and I know unless you're feeding a puppy or a dog with very special nutritional requirements then you don't need to stress over the diet of a average healthy dog with no history of any medical problem. I know that if I take it up a notch and feed more DIY I'll continue to offer a very broad range of meats and organs, I know variety is key, but would you consider that as a meal for your dogs?

This recipe will be modified to feed my other two a little younger (adults) dogs. No, they're three rescues, they used to be street dogs, they now live with us in rainy england, they were severely abused, they enjoy a quite life here with us now.

4. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

I did DIY daily feeds on my 7 month old until I had the time to go visit a RAW farm / provider and stock up. I only changed as it was just as expensive be going to Sainsburys vs buying complete RAW and plus I have a growing boy; I wanted to ensure I was giving him all he requires...

Things I use to do.......
    egg (crushed with the shell), lamb mince (frozen / thawed overnight), brown rice, braising steak (cut up), lamb's heart, lamb's kidney, chicken's liver, chicken breasts (boiled), broccoli and carrots (finely chopped), banana, pro-biotic yogurt, cranberries.

5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

That meal sounds okay just make sure you have enough bone content:)

6. Chris Mason

I
    Would you modify it at all?

If I'm correct it would have around 17g of bone in which is 10% of the meal.

7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Yes that sounds fine,if their poo looks too soft just add some more bone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice