Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

im new here can i have some help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by scooby09, Aug 12, 2009.

1. scooby09

scooby09 PetForums Newbie

hey well we got our border terrier last week he is now 9weeks old and 2day we took a visit to the vet to enquire about injections the 1st vet we went to was recommended by a few family members. so my partner went in and he came out and said that the dog was due an injection tomorrow which we didnt think he needed 1 then she said wed need another 1 for him when he was 12weeks.

so my partner thought something didnt sound right and we visited the same vet that the breeder who we bought our dog from took the pups to for there 1st injections at 6weeks and the girl said that the dog needed 1 more injection in 2weeks time and thatd be him for a year

on his health card there are to stickers a yellow 1 and a green 1.
    can any help??? ive read alot of conflciting information on the internet tonight and am confused hope some1 can help
    thanks in advance

2. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

2 mins i will chek my pups card and let you know she has had both done x

3. staceydawlz

ok well my pups card has a greeny goldy coloured sticker and a blue one...that was for her first injection then the same again that was for her 2nd injection x

4. scooby09

okay thank you

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

What does it say on the stickers?

6. scooby09

what age was ya pup when he/she got them injections????

7. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

this seems to be a fairly common problem ,if your able to complete the vaccination course with the original vet thats the best ,mind you it can become confusing as your puppy had first vaccine at 6 weeks which is very early ,you can always change to a differnt vets after ,each vet may have a vaccine from differnt companys which are administered differntly and puppies can become over vaccinated

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Mine was ten weeks when she had the second one because the breeder's vet had given her the first one. Our vet checked what she had had as it was ticked on the card and there was also some stickers and said she just needed the second one. She had her first at 8 weeks old.

9. scooby09

sorry the stickers are light blue and yellow the blue 1 says eurican p merial and the yellow 1 says eurican L merial

10. staceydawlz

my stickers say nobivac lepto2 and nobivac dhppi

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Maybe it was just a parvo injection that he had at 6 weeks because they aren't meant to have their first proper injection before eight weeks and their second before ten weeks according to our vet. They still have immunity from their mothers at 6 weeks.

12. staceydawlz

she was vac at 8 weeks then 10 weeks i think... i did them myself(her breeder didnt do any)

13. scooby09

sorry people we just checked his biirth date was the 3rd of june and the date of 1st injections was 28th 7th 2009 which means he was 8weeks old when he had them injections

14. terriermaid

then its best to get next vaccine at original vets ,then change vets if easier

15. scooby09

thanx for all ur help we just wanna make sure our puppy is happy and healthy we are gonna stick to the orignal vet that breeder had him at and then change after all vacnations has been given.

16. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

When i was in vets the other day i heard them telling a breeder that new owners vets will try it on saying different vacc dont work together. She said they had been in touch with manufacture and they said nearly all vacc are compatable..................after all its very rare you will have the same make vacciene throughout the dogs entire life...................i know both my girls cards have different makes on (spose it depends what maker is being pushed that month at the vets lol):p

17. terriermaid

agree with you and hope you enjoy your pup

18. scooby09

my head is alot clearer now thank god lol it was annoying me the fact that i didnt know if what we was been told was right im glad i signed up to this forum

19. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hi there is a vaccine on the market which many vets are using and thepups can be vaccinated at 6wks old - sounds like your breeders vet is using this type however i think they still cant have their 2nd vax until 10 wks old.If your other vet is not using this brand that is why he will want to restart so i would take back to breeders vet and get the final injection with them.:)

20. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

my vet gave Perry his first injection 2 weeks ago, the vet never gave me the booklet with the stickers in - it seems to be policy at my vet that whenthey have ur first jab there to make sure u come back to them they keep the paperwork till the 2nd jab is done.

I have no way of checking what Perry was given and to be honest - even if i read the label i would still be none the wiser. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice