Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Im joining you lot! I quit!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Apr 17, 2011.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

I only have 3 'PET' rabbits :D

Lily, Calla & Richard are the only buns left in carrot cottage except 12 babies which are currently up for sale.

I thought long and hard and as money, time and health were all difficult at the moment i decided to rehome some of my buns and keep just 3. I am in financial difficulties and needing to work more hours and i seem to be unwell a bit lately, havent been right since swine flu then having 2 abcesses on my teeth so not getting to spend any time with them and im scraping to buy feed.

I am thinking of nuetering them all and bonding so they can all live in a 10x10 shed with lots of fun activities but 1 thing i am worried about is lily is 3 years old, will she get through nuetering? I am really worried as she is my baby and scared of losing her big time!! Will 2 does and 1 buck bond ok if previously bred?

So there you go, im now like the rest of you here, a pet bunny owner :D And guess what??? It feels bloody good lol

2. purple_x

purple_x PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear things have been a little tough for you, I hope your health and things improve very soon :)

But yay, hello fellow pet bunny owner!!

I am sure a 3 year old female will be fine going for a spay, if she is in good health then she'll be ok.
    I got my Angel when she was almost 3years old and she had just been spayed a few months before at the rescue and she was absolutely fine.
    And as long as you bond them all slowly then 1 buck and 2 does should be fine but that's up for the bunnies to decide of course!

3. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

aw sad to hear you are giving up breading you have such lovely bunnies. bonding them will be hard work but I promise it will so be worth it, to see them laying in the sun together is heart melting :) I'm sure lady Lilly will be fine if you take her to a good rabbit vet perhaps bring her inside for a while if you can

4. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

aorry to hear youve been having it tough :(

as for lily, you should be fine getting her spayed, shes not particularly old, i had a buck neutered at 6 and he was fine.
    aslong as she is a good weight and in good health, and you go for a bunny savy vet there shouldnt be any issues

as for bonding, aslong as they are all neutered it wont matter if they have had litters or not.
    spaying the does will get rid of most of their hormones

once they are done you will need to wait 6 - 8 weeks before attempting to bond them

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties Frags :(

I'm sure bonding won't be a problem, remember your Dylan has two girlfriends who are both older than him, Rosie is six now and the oldest of the group.

As for spaying, three is still a baby in my eyes. Daisy was spayed when she was 4 and that was by a not too good vet, but she done well and was still perfectly fine in herself up till last year when she become really ill.

I'm sure if you want a bit of help with bonding I can pursuade Will to bring me and leave Jack with the grandparents for a day.

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Thanks Kammie thats really sweet of you.

Thank you all for you replies, i felt so relaxed this morning knowing i dont have mega chores to do with the buns.
    I have a mini lop doe left that has 2 babies (yes my 1st surviving mini lop litter) but i am pet homing her once the babies are old enough, so if anyone is looking for an adorable mini lop in marten smoke colour and can get to Essex in 4 weeks time feel free to let me know :D

I dont think it will be hard to bond these 3 as they are all very chilled out buns, but i cant wait to do them a massive adventure home :001_smile:

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Awww Frags you'll make a great 'pet' rabbit owner :D she'll be fine, 3 is still very young as long as shes fit and healthy :)

Frenchies are so much more laid back im sure you will bond them ok, we'll be on standby for advice and to calm you down! ;) Set yourself some time aside once they are nautered and hormones have settled and let us know when the bonding is scheduled :)

8. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Well at mo i have big money problems so i cant book them in for neutering at mo but as i have 12 yes 12 baby french to sell im going to use all money from sales to get them done, will prob do 1 a week so i can give them the care and attention thats needed.

You know what Crofty, im so bloody excited about making Carrot cottage into a huge house for them, i cant wait to get rid of those nasty breeders stacks! The Frenchies are currently in 6x2x2 but i want them to have the full 10x10 with tunnels and adventurous play things, i have a 4x2x2 stack which was used for seperating babies, this is going to be laid on its back and holes cut in each level so it will be like a maize. ooohhhh im so excited :D
    Im even tempted to keep 1 of the babies and bond 4, or am i going over my own head? LOL oh i dont care i want 4 pet bunnies.
    yippeeee i feel so good and freeeeeeeeeeee!!!

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Lol I'm positive once you've got over the neutering and bonding stress (im not going to pretend its easy lol) you will enjoy your buns so much more. A bonded four sounds great ;) will look forward to updates of your bunny project :) how exciting!!!! x

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

What will be better? Keeping a buck so 2 bucks 2 does or a doe so 1 buck 3 does? I have my eye on a really beautiful doe i have :D well theres 2 i like but im only looking at having 4 ;)

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I don't think it makes a huge difference, I would go with who are more relaxed temprement wise. Ive had 2 bucks and 2 does combo and then my 3 bucks and one doe combo, my new four work better but i think thats because Saffy was such a fiesty doe, she was hugely better spayed but always had that stroppy streak in her!

12. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Welcome to pet bunny land :)

It is a huge shame that a great breeder like you has to give it up :( but in a selfish moment, at least I got my frenchies first :p
    You maybe shoudnt have mentioned the Frenchie babies and the Mini lop tho! lol

I dont think it will matter if you keep a buck or doe tbh. I have the 3 boys and the 3 girls, and the boys are definatley the calmer ones of the group.

*Heidi*

#12 hazyreality, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  13. frags

frags PetForums VIP

You know you want one :tongue_smilie:

14. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

We want piccies!!!! :)

15. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Yeh I know I WANT one but its a case of I SHOULDNT have any more! lol.
    Risking upsetting my 6 is what worries me the most really!

And I agree with Crofty, we want piccys!

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice