Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm having a crisis of concience.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JSR, Aug 14, 2009.

1. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Right anyone that 'knows' me knows I'm rescue 100%? But I have a problem. I've been offered my pick of the litter from a friends puppies. She is expecting lurcher puppies from her whippet (crossed with bedlington) and as a 'gift' because I've helped her out in the past and she knows my dream has been to have a bedlington lurcher, she's offered me the scruffiest male!

BUT I'm very torn, I have always said I will only take rescues dogs and usually the one's that otherwise might struggle to find homes. I got my dream dog with Sidney (Poodle x bedlington) who I was lucky enough to be able to adopt from a rescue at 9 weeks old, so I think I should refuse her kind offer and stick to my principles. BUT the other side of me says I've already given homes to 4 dogs that otherwise might have been PTS so even though I have Sidney as my gift to myself dog, I should be allowed to take the lurcher too.

What to do? Throw all my principles to one side because I WANT the puppy or stick to them and avoid any guilt and hope that one day I might find the bedlington lurcher puppy I want from rescue?

2. Trevs_mum

Trevs_mum PetForums Member

I think you should have the puppy, you deserve it! Have it as a gift to youself.

xxx

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Like you said you have already saved 4dogs from being pts..so well done for that..
    I think you should have the puppy its a dog you have always wanted..Dont feel guilty about it..You have already done so much more for rescue dogs than most people.

4. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I agree with both of the above :)
    x

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

You have done a wonderful thing rescuing 4 dogs who might be be here without you, Treat yourself to a little gift.xx

6. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I think your dog's are lucky to have found you, Go for it with this one your'll regret it if you don't;)your not throwing your piniples away your excepting a gift;)

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Go for it or tell your friend to stand it at your gate an then pretend you've rescued it :D. . . . . . simple.

Have it you deserve it.

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

haha love it :)

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I would feel exactly the same, what a dilema!

I think the question you need to ask yourself is, can I live with this and not feel guilty?

If the answer is yes, then go for it. But if not, then don't.

You do amazing work and help a lot dogs, so you are entitled to get something back.

x

10. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I think you should take the puppy. You have done more then most by adopting 4 that would have been left in a home so i think you deserve it.

11. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Good idea!! I should tell her to sign the puppy over to my other friends rescue then I can adopt him!! :smilewinkgrin:

Anyway Bonny might not even be in pup, and she might not have a scruffy male or she might only have one pup and I can't expect her to just give me that one, so I guess I'll wait and see and if one of them takes my heart then I'll have a proper think about it. :idea: I've not been able to stop thinking about it since she made the offer..one minute I'm all 'sod it take the pup' and the next I'm all self rightous and No I'll only rescue! :eek:ut:

12. rona

rona Guest

This puppy is coming into this world whatever you do. It's already conceived.
    Think about all those dreadful homes that it could end up with, and I know you know what I mean. ;)
    Go with your heart and be proud that you are giving a pup a home that others can only hope for.
    Not all sad dogs are in rescue, there are many sitting in homes all over the country sad and neglected

13. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

You might find a similar lurcher mix in a rescue, but puppies don't come up as often as older dogs. If you want a puppy then you shouldn't feel guilty about having one :)

I'm sure you do plenty to encourage others to adopt rescues as well as taking on your own rescue dogs. I don't think getting a non-rescue pup should be seen as straying from your beliefs, we all deserve to fufill a dream and i don't see why the 2 should be exclusive, if you switched the situation round nobody would think it wrong for someone who normally gets dogs from pups to take on a rescue, so stop being so hard on yourself ;)

14. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

oh thats a hard one!

if the same situation happened and some one else had the breed you want and you didn't really know them and they were just giving them away - would you even consider getting one from them?

did your friend breed her bitch on purpose?

15. Jo P

Jo P PetForums VIP

There's nothing wrong with having a mixed household - I've got one breeder bought, one rescue and one re-home - go on, be a devil - you only live once:smilewinkgrin:

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Yes she is a breeder. She's actually the owner of the yard I keep my horse at and while I struggle with the breeding side of her 'job' she does care deeply for the dogs, so much so she has just paid out £600 for one puppy who had to have his leg amputated. She was given the choice of PTS or amputation and she didn't for one moment consider PTS, she's also kept the pup and he's running riot on the yard with 3 legs!! I've helped rehome a few of her breeding bitches and when she's had dogs dumped on her (because locally people know she's a soft touch!) I've found homes for them.

17. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

its clear that you like your friend a lot :)

but if it was someone else, someone you didn't know - would you still want to get one of the pups?

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

No I wouldn't. I do think I'm being selfish, and if the offer hadn't happened I wouldn't think twice about waiting until a pup comes into rescue (although I have to admit I've been looking for years and never seen one!). I want a puppy lurcher because I want to train it myself so if I take a lurcher on it has to be a young dog. All the other breeds and crosses I take on I don't mind if they are older.

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You should not feel guilty whatsoever. You do so much for rescues and all those lost little dogs :)

And you have a right to be selfish once in a while!!

20. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

To be honest I don't see much conflict if you are not buying the pup.

Buying pups profits the breeder and encourages further breeding. This is something that rescue-oriented folk may want to avoid but it doesn't apply to gifted dogs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice