Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm going insane!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jun 30, 2009.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I have been job hunting for about a 2 weeks, and I still don't have a job!

I have looked on job centre plus, and applied for jobs by phoning up, sending emails, and all that

Some people have the phone off so I can't get through, no one has bothered to get back to me, and everywhere needs experience, (i have 5 months retail experience.... everywhere wants 6! GRRR!) and 1 years experience as a dinner lady but them jobs are second to none!

I want to do bar work but everywhere wants experience, how can I get experience if no one will hire me? I'm at uni, so I'm not as flexible as everyone wants me to be!

McDonalds didn't even want me.......!

Its driving me crazy, why can't employers just send me an email saying I was unsuccessful?

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

It's infuriating I know, my OH has been out of work for 7 months and lately its really been getting to me! We have applied for jobs left & right and nobody even bothers to acknowledge you with a short reply. :(

Sorry I'd like to say something will come up soon?

p.s Hope your CAB visit went OK :)

3. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Hi there, have you looked at other job boards?

I work for a group of jobsites, and unfortunately there are a lot of other people in the same boat as you, so employers think they can afford to be mega picky - a lot of people being very unrealistic in their expectations.

However, I wouldn't let the fact that you have 1 month shy of 6 months experience put you off from applying. If you are the right person for the job then they would be mad to not take you on for the sake of 4 weeks!

Sell yourself with your CV and cover letter :D

Would recommend Search for seasonal jobs, temporary jobs & part time jobs - hotrecruit and UK Jobs from the best companies - JobSearch cos they are owned by the same company that run the jobsite that I work on... ;) but lots of others out there too, run a google search for jobs you are interested in. Also a good tip is to put your CV on the CV database so employers can search for you - to this end if you do not have experience in particular roles which you would be interested in it may be worth adding keywords of typical job titles that you would be interested in at the bottom to make it more searchable (don't go too mad though as it looks really odd!)

That's mainly what I can think of off the top of my head, but any Q's give me a shout :D

4. CharleyRogan

.... RBS made me pay £300 upfront, which my dad paid for and he slight peeved now.....!

and said I need to pay my student loan in. They said that they could go the police as i also broke the contract, because I had a Lloyds TSB account as my first account. They were sooo arsey with me and not very high on my ratings of telephone manner!

5. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Also although you may not have experience, in your cover letter make sure you highlight your transferable skills and why you think you would be good for the job - it is something not enough peole do!
    e.g. customer focussed, flexible etc etc

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

thats what the CAB office told you?

7. CharleyRogan

Nope RBS

I couldn't go CAB cos wanted me to make an appointment, and it wouldn't have been same day and 29th was deadline for me to respond before they got their creditors involved.

They threatened me if i didn't pay £300 that day then they would give me a bad credit history

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

oh nooooo They tried that sh*t on me too! I told them they could wait 3 months and I would pay in full or they could kiss goodbye to it as I didnt work etc ...

They do tell horrendous porkies just to get a payment.

9. CharleyRogan

They said at first they wanted the whole £1400, and I told them thats wishful thinking cos I don't have that money... then she talked to her manager, who offered £300 for payment.

They use scare tactics, it pisses me off the way if they want money they want it straight away, if they owe us money it takes ages to come through! If i threatened someone like that, i'll prob get arrested for verbal assault or threatening behaviour or summat!

10. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Yeah probably!

I must admit it wasnt straight forward, I told them I wanted to speak to the manager and told him myself, the customer services people dont really have the power to do anything so not worth talking to imo especially when its somehing like this. I can still remember all the headaches it caused :(

It might still be worth writing a letter to the manager.

11. CharleyRogan

I might go CAB anway, although the initial threat has subsided to see what they can do for me.

12. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Yeah its worth a shot, I hope they can help.

13. CharleyRogan

I don't wanna be messed about by RBS

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice