Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm going away soon...what shall I do with kitties??

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by ChrisKon, Apr 9, 2013.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hello everyone,

I am going away on May 25th for 2 weeks, what is the best option for my kittens? They will be 9months old and they would not have been out the house yet as I think it's best to let them out for the first time when I get back?

I do have friends and family that would come round to feed them and I don't mind paying any professional cat sitters but which would be best to minimise stress?

Thanks

2. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

I'd be tempted to postpone the trip for a year but if not possible, definitely a cat sitter who will come round at least a couple of times a day to feed and also play with cats. They will already be distressed at your absence so a cattery, which would change their environment, I would rule out. I would also set up an IP camera in all main rooms so that I could sign on with my phone and see them + have a daily telcon with the cat sitter. Actually, thinking about all this, I would still (if poss) postpone the trip.

3. ChrisKon

I know, In hindsight I would have not booked this trip, it was booked before I even got Max and Buena. :( If I could postpone it, I would however a lot of money has been paid and can't move it to a later date (I asked).

I was leaning towards having a cat sitter actually for the reasons you stated. I also have family that would also go round their and give them extra attention which I will do.

I just feel bad really as I love them dearly but at the same time I can't not go away as this is a once in a life time trip.

Thanks for your input Satori, if any other ideas...I'm all ears!

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Not sure what to suggest to be honest.2 weeks is a long time for kittens to be left with only short visits in the day.
    For "short term" days away I would say catsitters every time but on this occasion I think I would feel happier putting them into a cattery,obviously you would need to do a bit of checking to find a good one.

#4 buffie, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  5. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

I guess you have already discussed but could those family members be persuaded / paid to come and live at your house for two weeks?

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I'm gping to go against the grain here and say for that length of time I would pout them in a cattery - I've had some fantastic ones before. They settle well, are looked after, groomed, played with - more than a cat sitter does (imv), my cats have always come out looking better than when they went in, and I don;'t have to worry about someone accidentally letting them out, or popping round late, or forgetting to come etc. A good cattery is worth it's weight in gold.

7. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

I'm not sure this is a help but maybe it could be considered in the future, we have just come back from a two week holiday and in preparation for this we have regularly taken our 3 indoor cats/now cat proofed garden to visit the inlaws in the car maybe twice a month since we've had them. They stay with them for the day or over night and in fact love it with all the new smells etc. They get adoring slaves who pamper them and are not stressed at all. We came back to find very relaxed dopey cats lazing around with the inlays chronicling every detail of their character and stay.

8. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

We pay for someone (family friend usually, or one of their kids) to come in and feed them. Much cheaper than putting them in a cattery and it is stress free for the cats. Mine are indoor/outdoor cats though, so no litter tray cleaning required.

9. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

I put mine in a cattery when they were around 8 months old and I went away for 2 weeks. I thought it would stress them out but they were good as gold. They loved watching all the other cats in their dens and as they had their toys, beds and some clothing from me they did absolutely fine.

Mine were feral when I got them and I expected them to have made a step back but it was the other way round. They were much friendlier and not as scared when I got back.

Consider too that if you have someone come to your house and one of the kittens manages to escape, gets ill or has an injury, what would you do?

10. ChrisKon

Hey everyboday,

Thanks for your input, I really am taking everyones advice into consideration.

It's not finalised but I think I will be paying my younger brother who lives round the corner to come round everyday to feed, clean etc.. and to also spend quality time (3hours at least) with Maxy boy and Buena. Also he will be sleeping overnight, a few nights too. I would rather have this than a cat sitter coming round.

However, If I manage to find a reputable and recommended cattery thats not too far from East london, then I may lean towards that option. Does anyone know of any good catteries in the london area?

I feel like I need to take their characters into consideration as well and kinda guess which option will suit them best.

:)

11. ellsbells0123

ellsbells0123 PetForums VIP

12. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I would definitely use a cattery if I had to - my cats like other cats so they wouldn't be too stressed. I know most cats would prefer to stay in their own familiar surroundings, but if you take some of their bedding and toys, as well as an item of clothing which smells of you, it should help them settle. xx

I would be far too scared of a cat sitter letting them out by accident! :eek:

13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I have never used a cattery, but have used house sitters many times
    Find House Sitters | House Sitting Guide USA Australia Canada NZ UK worldwide or MindMyHouse - Bringing home owners and house sitters together
    Basically you post a wanted ad and then sit back and wait for sitters to get in touch. IF you really don't find someone you like then there is no pressure to go ahead.
    Living anywhere near London you will have no shortage of offers.....I have had some lovely sitters over the years and I really like the idea that there is someone here all the time overnight etc which I think is safer for the house too.

14. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I have always had neighbours and friends who have cats, themselves, look after mine, and returned the favour when they are on holiday.

Nowadays my friend and their adoring furry godmother Carol looks after them, and they love the attention they get fro her. She spoils them rotten :D
    She comes in once a week to slean for me, as there are a lot of things I cannot do due to my arthrosis and fivbromyalgia, and they love it when she comes while I am at work, as they will get an extra helping of wet food and some treats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice