Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm confused

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lucysmum, Aug 10, 2009.

1. lucysmum

lucysmum PetForums Member

I'm not sure I'm feeding my puppy enough food. She is consantly looking for food, steals it, and scavenges too.

Shes a 20 week cocker spaniel who weighs approx, 8 kilos. She is slim built.

I feed her Hills puppy chicken dry food, sometimes with natural yoghurt, sometimes with gravy topper. She has some snacks in between meals during the day. But she contstantly seems starving. I dont weigh but i give her a generous handful , 3 times a day.

Am i not giving her enough?

2. rona

rona Guest

Well if you don't weigh it and don't know yourself.
    How are we supposed to know ;):D

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

My cocker's on hill's give her abit more you soon get to no how much is enough:D

4. betterdogs

betterdogs PetForums Newbie

What I would suggest you is to get your dog trained. The best way to train your dog is to train it at your home. I know of one such trainer who trains your dog right at your home. They are Better Dogs. They specialize in Oakland County dog training and many such services.You can visit their website for more details.I am sure they will be of great help. Kudos!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Depends how big your hands are.

It really would be wise to weigh it out correctly. Then you will know if you are on the right lines.

If she is food minded then you can try putting it in a treat dispensing toy, r stuffing a kong to make it last longer and keep her busy,

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would weigh it out correctly too.
    You can get a cheap measuring cup from pets at home.
    Remember that the amount on the side of the bag is only a guide and if your pup seems hungry still, add a little more.

x

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Hi i have a cocker and his foods weighed out and split into two meals a day one morning and one at tea time. He has the correct amount and we keep a eye on his weight due to him getting pancritis before . Hes a nightmare for trying to get hold of food and always has since his puppy hood. He knows the word leave and wait but if he spots something left just in reach its gone before you know it. My friends lab is also the same . He knows hes done wrong as he sort of slopes away . Im not sure after 8 years that its something mines ever going to get out of. Ive just learnt not to leave anything in doggie height of lying around. I also invested in a bin that opens by double clicking the top of which hes not managed to figger out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice