Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm at a loss of what to feed now

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tessi, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Tessi

Tessi PetForums Newbie

Hi All,
    I've been reading the various threads regarding cat food as I have three very fussy eaters; Tigger (exotic short hair persian), Milo and Gypsy (Ragdolls). I have been feeding them dry food since they have been kittens (Royal Canin) and used to feed small amounts of Applaws wet food every now and again. I stopped feeding them Applaws as Tigger kept throwing up and had an upset tummy. On the advice on my vets, who keeps a close eye on their weight, I started feeding them Royal Canin Slimness but Royal Canin have gone an changed the ingredients and all three are no longer interested in their food! I called up Royal Canin who confirmed the ingredients change. I've tried other Royal Canin varieties but they don't seem very interested and there is often food left in their bowls (generally this doesn't happen!). They get a measured cup in the morning and evening. I'm now trying Natures Best which they seemed okay with up until a couple of days ago and now there is once again food leftover in their bowls. I'm at a loss of what to feed them now. Should I just persevere with Natures Best? I've tried several times to incoporate wet food in their diet (small amounts) but as soon as I do Tigger gets sick :(. Natures Best seems to be upsetting our other little boy Milo now as I've seen him throw up almost immediately after eating :mad: Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

try calling Orijen? I had a 20 chat with their nutritionist and she was happy to discuss mixes/options/ingredients and even what balance raw to dry I should feed plus some tips on the raw foods I use. She was fab!

They're not much more expensive than RC per bag and Zooplus have free p&p on them.

+44 (0)1737 767679
    Bern Pet Foods Ltd.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Got to agree with Indysmamma, give Orijen a try. One of the best dry foods in my opinion.

When you talk to them at Berns Pet food or have a look at their website, they also do acana - similar to orijen - as well as ziwi peak. May as well have a look at them too as those three are amongst the best.

At first glance expensive, but as I calculated in another thread, not much more expensive than Royal Canin.

4. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

A dry only diet really isn't good for cats for a number of reasons, but having two very fussy cats myself I understand how it's easier to just feed dry. I've tried and tried to find a balance between wet and dry.

Royal canin isn't a great food IMO (vets recommend it because they get a kick back for selling it), so if I were you I'd try another dry food. One with a high meat content, Orijen, or pets at homes purely (either the normal purely, or the more meat purely), orijen has a high price tag but lasts an age because of the high meat content, purely is very reasonable at £6 for 2kg.

I'll post some foods listed by Hobbs2004 in a similar post I made a few weeks back, hope hobbs doesn't mind.

There's also Hilife, Feline fayre, bozita, purely pouches and purely trays, almo nature, deli cat (from p@h), natures menu, animonda carney. Those are the ones I tried with no success. I've heard a lot of people have had success with bozita and it's v high meat content so may be worth a try. Mine are currently (touch wood) happily eating Schesir. Natures menu had a high meat content too, so if you're will eat pate type, maybe try this?

Have you tried raw at all? prawns? chicks wings?

5. Tessi

Tessi PetForums Newbie

Thanks all for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I have called Bern Pet Foods and am waiting for Karen to give me a call back.

I do feel extremely guilty for just feeding them boring dry food! A few months ago I thought I might try the Applaws fishy flavour (small tin) which they got very excited about! But Tigger got sick and dry retched on and off for more than 24 hours; I felt so sorry for him because it must have been very sore for his tummy with so much heaving. I took him to the vet and she gave him an injection and told me not to feed him wet food :frown:

Lyceum, I would give raw food a try but am really scared of the consequences. If Tigger can't handle wet food I'm really scared that raw would be worse? I'm sure he would probably eat it but it's the after effects that worry me!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Tessi, please don't feel guilty. Sometimes that is just the way things are and perhaps one of your cats will do better on dry food. If you feed dry, just make sure that you feed them the best dry food you can, have plenty of water bowls or a water fountain for them.

Re raw, it may be worth to try that with your sensitive cat (as well as your other cats). Raw is a great way to go if you have got a cat with stomach problems, such as IBD.

If you have some chicken, just cut it up into strips or chunks and feed it to them uncooked. Or next time you go shopping just pick up some beef, lamb or chicken and see how that goes down. I would say that even if your sensitive one vomits one type of meat back up, that it might be worth trying a different animal meat - just in case there is a sensitivity there.

If it sits ok, great, then you can look into raw feeding a bit more; if it doesn't, ah well at least you tried :D

#6 hobbs2004, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  7. Tessi

Tessi PetForums Newbie

Thanks Hobbs :) I will be popping out this afternoon to pick up the Orijen
    400g sample bags. After speaking to Karen at Bern Pet Foods I'm going to give it a go! There is a stockist literally 2 minutes from our house which is fantastic! Once they have settled on the dry food I will try the raw chicken (heaven help me!).

I always give the kitties fresh filtered water every morning and top it up at night :thumbup:

I will keep you posted!!!

8. Tessi

Tessi PetForums Newbie

:(I have gone through such a variety of foods that my kitchen cupboards look like a mini pet store :lol:I tried the Orijen (bought a sample bag of chicken and fishy flavour) which Tigger absolutely loved but Milo nor Gypsy would touch :( I gave it a few days but got concerned as they were not eating enough (there was lots left over from their morning and evening feed). I then tried the Pets at Home purely, they weren’t interested at all. I was at my wits end so we went to Pets at Home and bought a few bags of different foods. We tried Applaws, again they didn't like it and then I tried Natures Best (food which they used to eat before I changed to Royal Canin). They all seemed happy to eat this until yesterday, not sure why but don’t seem to be keen on it anymore but at least they are still eating. Tigger seems to be the only one with no eating issues.

Am I not giving them enough time to get used to the new food? Applaws and Orijen are meant to be yummy and good for them

#8 Tessi, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Tessi, Tessi, Tessi.... Yes, that is just what I was going to say to you. :D

I would just persevere - if you keep changing the food then they get used to that and you run the risk of them becoming even fussier. :D

Perhaps weigh them every so often to make sure they aren't losing any or too much weight.

I guess if they eat Nature's Best then feed that for now. You could always try mixing in some Applaws or Orijen to move them over if they are dragging their paws a little.

It may also be worthwhile feeding them some wet food once they are happy with their dry ...

10. Tessi

Tessi PetForums Newbie

Hi Hobbs,
    I have persevered and all three kittypooh's are now eating Applaws and none are throwing up :thumbup: Thank you so much for your advice and guidance on the various types of food. It makes such a huge difference when you receive really good advice and tips on kitty stuff.

I'm sure I will get a telling off by the vet because Milo definitely seems to be a little heavier with all the swapping and changing of the foods he really got stuck in; but he is back to his measured amount so hopefully he will loose a little weight before his next vet visit.

#10 Tessi, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Great news! Thanks for the update :)

Hopefully this is a happily ever after food story....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice