Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm alright, honest ........... How to befriend a cat who seems to think you are the enemy?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ForestWomble, May 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM.

1. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

As some may remember I have a neighbour who has a cat who attacks Bungo. To start with she (the cat) only had a problem with Bungo, however about a year ago now (I think?) she started hissing etc at me.
    She has decided that my bins are a great place to be and won't move, hisses etc at me, goes into what I call 'halloween cat pose' and everything :Wideyed
    The problem is she does stand her ground and I've not been able to get to my bins at times, I dare not try and shoo her off when she is lying on a lid because I am a wheelchair user and the bin lids are face height, so not worth the risk.

Part of me thinks I don't stand a chance, but I'd like to try to change her feelings around me, I feel so sorry for her and it would be nice to not have her dictate when I can and cannot use my own bins.

Any ideas?

Just to add: I'll get the full works - halloween cat mode, hissing etc when I've just opened my front door, so I'm still inside so this is extreme.
    Also I have never, ever hurt her, I've never allowed my dog to chase etc so never done anything to scare her, this is just the way she is sadly.

Thank you in advance.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

She sounds a very troubled puss if she is this aggressive to you though brave to stay put. You could rub your bin lid with something like oranges/peel which all my cats have always hated, that would put her off sitting there. Some cats, my Bunty is the same, just don't like humans and nothing will make them be friendly with you so I'm not sure how you could improve matters.

ForestWomble likes this.
  3. ForestWomble

Thank you.

I'll try the orange peel idea to keep her off the bins.

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Am I remembering correctly that you have already spoken with the cat's owners and no luck?

It's really not right that this cat is causing you to not be able to use your own bins. Like you I feel very sorry for the cat who's obviously very distressed, but I'm feeling rather annoyed for you as it's completely unacceptable for someone to allow their pet to behave this way towards others.

The smell deterrent sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it works :)

ForestWomble likes this.
  5. ForestWomble

That is correct, yes, no luck with the owners :(

I agree it isn't on, I just keep reminding myself that it isn't the cats fault and, as silly a hope as it might be, I was hoping there might be a way to help her.

I shall certainly give the smell deterrent a go.

O2.0 likes this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Honestly I would be using a strong water gun. It won't do any harm and will infinitely more effective than citrus peel. If you get one with a good range, you will be able to keep well back

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

As I read it, @ForestWomble was looking for ways of if not befriending the cat, at least making the cat less nervous of her. I'm not sure this goes in that direction.

Have to say for sure FW is far more patient than I would be, and I might consider shooing the cat away with water or loud pans or a broom or whatever, but I also feel really bad for the poor cat who's obviously not happy with people at all. So if the orange peel works to deter the cat, seems like a better solution all around.

ForestWomble and cheekyscrip like this.
  8. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I decided not to mention a water gun or hose to avoid @ForestWomble having to go outside where the cat is as she is in a wheelchair plus, as its a nervous or aggressive cat, this seemed a kinder deterrant.

ForestWomble and O2.0 like this.
  9. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

I'm in a car club, and people have deterred cats from sleeping on their car bonnets by rubbing them with WD40 (the car, not the cat!) as they don't like the smell. It might last longer than citrus peel.

SbanR and ForestWomble like this.
  10. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

@ForestWomble it you would prefer to "befriend" the cat rather than just scaring it off, do you think that going out to the bins armed with some treats which you could toss to the ground (hopefully the cat would follow the treats!) in the hope that the cat might come to view you as the bringer of good things rather than than the enemy ?

ForestWomble likes this.
  11. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

A cat that is this frightened is unlikely to come around and if it does, it will take many, many months of hard work. I applaud the sentiment, but it's an unlikely to work

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I will clap or even sing... they would definitely run a mile...

Citronella oil rubbed on it stronger than orange peel.
    You can use your mobile with recording of a lion...

ForestWomble likes this.
  13. ForestWomble

Thank you all.

I will try the deterrent of orange peel first, if that doesn't work I do have some WD40 I think so can try that, or if not I could look at citronella oil. (or singing, but I'd rather not deter the whole neighbourhood ;))

I would need to buy treats specially and while I would be willing to try I have no idea what she likes and don't have money to waste like that :(
    Actually, I've just had a thought, I have dried sausage for Bungo but I can't give him much of it at a time so have plenty spare, would that be OK? (I think it's pork and venison?)
    Just thinking when I go out, maybe I could have enough in my treat bag for B. and enough to throw at the cat if she starts stalking us to try to change her focus? So we can get away/get past while she's enjoying a treat? Or is that more dog rather than cat psychology?

14. cattherapy

cattherapy PetForums Newbie

Have you tried having the bin moved to a different position? (if that is possible) Cats get into routines and go back to the same place time after time and get fixated with the spots they choose. She might lose the appeal of the bin simply because her routine has been broken and find somewhere else to camp out and make spooky faces. Also for some reason she might be "defending" the spot she has and once the placement changes, this might also mean she drops the obsession and hence the threat that you are posing by, as she sees it, claiming "her space"

If you did that and maybe also the orange peel related ideas already suggested then (maybe!?) this might make her think.... Its always mind games with cats - whether they appear to hate you or whether they are adoring lap cats!

ForestWomble and SbanR like this.
  15. ForestWomble

It might be possible to move the bins but no idea when that will be able to happen, when I'm allowed to see my parents again I'll ask if they can be moved.

cattherapy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice