Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm allergic to cat litter - help!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Naomi84, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Naomi84

Naomi84 PetForums Newbie

Hi, this is my 1st post! Just to introduce myself, I'm the mum to two beautiful brown spotted baby Bengals (now 15 weeks) which I've had since last Sunday.

The problem is that I think I'm allergic to their cat litter! I don't think it's the cats as I was fine until I changed litter brands. We were given a bag of Yesterday's news from the breeder but I didn't think it was that great (it smelt of newspaper and dissolved rather than clumped) so I bought some cats best OkoPlus after recommendations from this forum but it really seems to set my dust allergies off and is giving me a sore throat & itchy eyes!

Does anyone else have this problem? I was thinking about trying World's best cat litter as I heard that's meant to be good too but is it dusty? I don't want to buy this expensive cat litter if I'm going to have the same problem! I need a litter thats not dusty and flushable, is that too much to ask? :eek:hmy:

Thanks!

2. andywest

andywest PetForums Junior

I use worlds best cat litter, and i don't find it dusty at all. I used to use catsan and that would end up all over the place where as worlds best does not.

3. Well there is a couple of things to try first.

Change the litter trays and refill outside, so the dust is blown away rather than hanging in the air in your house.

Get a big scoop so less dust gets disturbed when you scoop the poop.

If your not using one already get a covered litter tray (preferably with a door - but the kittens might take some training to use the door) - again minimises the dust in the room

Try to keep the litter tray in a room you dont use as frequently, such as spare bedroom, hallway, bathroom etc.

Worlds best is a fantastic litter, and lasts a long time which will save your lungs inbetween changes.

Hope it helps!

4. NoWoodsJustTrees

NoWoodsJustTrees PetForums Junior

I agree with the above post.

5. Naomi84

Naomi84 PetForums Newbie

Yeah i think I will move the litter tray into the hallway now so it's not in the living room. We were told to keep the kittens in one room for a couple of weeks but I think my chest can't cope much longer!

I do have a hooded tray but I have to lift the lid off to get the poos and wee clumps out so I guess the dust still manages to get out then. The thing is the litter isn't visually dusty so I'm hoping that it isn't an allergy to the kittens that is causing the problem. I'm really worried about that! We had a cat when I was growing up and I never had an allergy to him but I know that you can suddenly develop allergies that you haven't had before :(

I will try the worlds best litter. Can you buy it in any supermarkets or Wilkingsons? It is a pain having litter delivered. Is the cheapest online shop Zooplus?

6. Nerge

Nerge PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I've never seen worlds best in Wikinsons or any reguar supermarket, you can however get it from pets at home or onine at zoopus etc.

I tried words best with my new cat and it doesnt really seem that dusty to me athough it does track a little.

On the subject of worlds best I think I may try another, it's handy to flush it and Pippin our cat seems okay with it but I find it doesn't last long at all for us, but other people seem to say it does for them.
    I think it's mainly because I don't rate it's ability to control odour so end up having to change it quite frequently in addition to scooping anything out, even when everything is removed it tends to retain the bad smells after only a little while.

See how you go though, you may find it fine and as I said it doesn't seem that dusty and is made from corn so it's natural and all that.

7. i find the cheapest for worlds best is usually pet supermarket but there is a delivery charge, so perhaps buying a smaller bag elsewhere would be a better idea to start with.

Have you taken any antihistamines?

Could you bath the kittens and give them a supergroom to see if that improves your situation?

8. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi
    I used to get Worlds Best from our local post office, the owners stocks pet supplies too and orders it in for me. It is very good but I am going to try Chick Crumbs as recommended on here. Apparently its exactly the same as Worlds Best only loads cheaper. I have asked at the post office and I can order that too. 20kg for £10.58!

I don't pick my kittens up until the end of August so won't be able to try it until then.

Sharon
    x

9. chick crumb isnt exactly the same as worlds best, the main difference is the tracking (it tracks loads more - and worlds best tracks lol), and the dust! Lots and lots of dust - maybe no ideal for someone with sensetive lungs xx

10. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

are you sure it isnt the kittens you are allergic too?

11. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I would recomend using a pellet form of litter as you find there is not a lot of dust.

However I don't think it is flushable, although some may be?

12. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

As Cat Crazy Said Would It Be Better Using Pellets As There Not As Dusty As Some Others Litters As Mentioned Before Are You Sure Its Not The Kittens And Not The Litter.

13. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

If you put the litter tray in another room, you must be able to notice the difference. If you still don't feel well, you're probably allergic to the kittens. If you do feel much better with the kittens around, it must be the litter / dust you're allergic to.
    Anyway, if you keep feeling that way, I 'd go and see a doctor; he can test your blood and tell you what it is that causes your allergic reaction...

14. Naomi84

Naomi84 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the posts! I think I'm going to go back to Yesterdays news as I was fine until I move over to Oko. I'll get some tomorrow. I have moved the litter tray now but I think the dust can still be on the kittens after they've used the tray. I'm really hoping its the litter and not the kittens as this will break my heart!

If it is the kittens is there anything I can do to reduce my allergic reaction to them? i'm going to get a zoom groom to brush them with but are there any other products people would recommend I buy?

15. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

Piriton syrup really does work ;) my son takes it ;) x

16. Naomi84

Naomi84 PetForums Newbie

I've taken anti histamine for the last few days and its made absolutely no difference :( I also don't want to take them as a long term thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice