Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm After Giant Bunnies

Discussion in 'Small Animal Classifieds' started by daisyloo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. daisyloo

daisyloo PetForums Newbie

I'm only after one.

I've decided that I would like a Giant rabbit, any breed.

Only one problem. I live in the North east of england, I'm not here to waste any ones time and I will pay £50 towards petrol for any one to drive here. Depending on how much you are selling the rabbit for.

I would like to know, what breed the rabbit is, the birthdate. Have they have any vacc's are they litter trained (as it will be an indoor pet) has it any problems (with it's teeth, eyes joints) and what you feed it on (will considor buying food from you if you have any spare)

I was tempted to get a bunny from pets at home for £130 but I can't trust them :( I've been told there is a waiting list around where I live for giant bunnies for £50 but I could be waiting months.

I will not pay via paypal, I pay cash in hand on the day you drop off the bunnie.

I can assure any one, you will be given my house number and address so you know that I'm not here to waste time. Pictures would be nice :D

Hope to hear from some one soon.

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Don't know if you have seen this site, but...
    Giant Rabbit Rescue

Even though they are based in the south, they may have contacts or links to your area. Keep looking at rabbit rescue sites too. Hope this helps :)

3. daisyloo

Saved the website, will email the lady soon to ask. I've been looking to see if there is any rescue centres around here. None so far :(

4. daisyloo

Some one is going to ask a friend if she has some but not heard back yet. Any one got any more info on housing Giant rabbits. It will be staying in my bedroom.

5. xXhayleyroxX

xXhayleyroxX PetForums Senior

i saw some at pets at home :001_tt2:

nothing much to suggest, just a liter tray, some newspaper to lie on (or a mat) and a little dark place for them to sleep :)

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Ouch... pleeease don't get them from there. Not only are they enormously overpriced but there's no way of knowing where they were born and no backup with the breeder if things go wrong. Giants have their own health issues just as giant dog breeds do, the main one being they don't live as long. Many come into rescue. If you are lucky enough to have a reputable Giant breeder in your area I'd say go there first, then try rescue. Put your name down and wait for a baby to become available from a breeder rather than buy from PAH... or wait for rescue.

Giant breeds include:
    Flemish Giant (the original english type - only in dark steel grey and an endangered rare breed now)
    British Giant
    Continental Giant (is called Flemish Giant in other countries)
    Giant Papillon
    Chinchilla Giganta

Belgian Hares are sometimes classed as Giant but in reality they don't get as big.

7. daisyloo

No, I wouldn't have any animal from pets at home. Nor do I like getting rabbits from a petshop. My bunny Jojo I got from my friend who breeds rabbits.

She's just rang about any breeders but around here they are hard to come by so I'm just waiting to hear back from a few people on forums.

I'm just working on making a box area for the bunny to sleep in.

8. daisyloo

YEY!

I got two from Harrogate. £55 in total

Conti Yellow Doe for £30 and £25 in delivary

The little buck I bought is a Cross Yellow Conti and he was free :D So I'm well pleased. I'm not breeding though as I wanted a boy but I wanted a pure bred rabbit too.

9. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

ooo any piccies? :D

10. daisyloo

Not yet no. The guy is dropping them off tonight at 8 so I'm getting their living quarters set up.

Partner was abit upset when I said two bunnies were coming but he's fine with it now.

When they get here tonight, I need to set teh computer up again and I will be taking loads of photos :

EDIT: Ohhh Just noticed SRH your Avatar is the get along gang!!!! God I used to love watched that when I was a kid :D

#10 daisyloo, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  11. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Hi ya

What accommodation are you having for the contis?

You will have to keep them separate so that you dont have any accidents! :eek:

12. daisyloo

Bleh, I'm getting them on wednesday now instead, the guy is at work again so he will be dropping them off tomorrow at 6ish. I hope his work don't call him in again.

And I've built two indoor cages, high enough so they can't jump over and large enough to turn around and hop in.

Aye, I don't want any more babies! I bred my lionhead and got two cute babies from her. One went to a good home with a friend and the littl black one I kept.

He had eye problems and I had to take him to teh vet at three days old. Poor mite still has bad eyes and I have to wash them every day and give him eye drops. He's really loving due to him being handled all the time.

His dad got the snip because he gets a runny eye every now and again so I though having him as a stud wouldn't be good enough. His mom though will be going to a new him soon with my sister in-law.

#12 daisyloo, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  13. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

I dont mean to be funny but contis arent really supposed to be put in cages as they are just too big, they should really have a garage or large shed or run of the house.

My conti has free run of the house and the garden and is never ever locked up in a cage or anything. Just make sure you are going to have enough room etc before getitng them especially if you are planning on having two as they will need to be out at different times so that the doe doesnt get pregnant so that means that one of them is going to have to be locked up etc.

Im not having a go i just want you to make sure you have enough space for them x

14. daisyloo

Oh don't worry about it hun :) I have thick skin and it's all about learning.

No, it's not a proper hutch. It's more like a cage, no roof. Just a two large boxes on the floor or whats the word....Like a pen!. I will try get a picture when they arrive. Yeah, the female will have the run of the house for four hours, then I will swap and put the male out. Will rotate them all day :D

I've been told I'm allowed a shed, which makes me regret tearing my wardrobe down but never mind. So In a few months I will be making the shed into two parts with a run attached but again, in two parts :D

I didn't think I would be allowed a shed due to teh size of the garden but the in-law said it would be ok so I'm going ahead with it.

I wouldn't want to make the bunnies life boring and hurtful. I've been doing loads of research on them and wasn't going to get one due to some issues with money. But since then things are better and I can afford it now. So two bunnies should be here tomorrow and pictures will be overloaded in the rabbit section :D

#14 daisyloo, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  15. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Did you get the buns yet?

16. daisyloo

Yup, biggest bunnies I've ever saw!

I'm getting a cage next week one, it's a 6ft by 2ft by 2ft The guy who dropped them off said it's better to keep them outside. So the Doe is staying outside.

17. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Check this out... I dont know where you are but there is one needing a home

http://www.petforums.co.uk/rabbits/56633-p-h-godalming.html

18. zoeeoo

zoeeoo PetForums Member

i want to see pictures i got 2 french lops hey both outside :) my female is a x and the male is pure he is a big baby he is in a 5ft hutch atm and he is out everyday and will be havin a trip to vets so he can be done so him and my female are going to be housed in a bigger hutch and can go out same time.

19. Sawah

Sawah PetForums Newbie

I have a female continental x dutch that needs re-homing for a small fee. I live in bradford so the north west. I bought her from a pet shop she is around 6 months. Her eyes and teeth are fine. She needs her claws trimming and thats it. Shes friendly and tame. I can assure you she is tame but does not like being picked up. email me if you want more info or pics,

sawah17@hotmail.co.uk

:)

20. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Hi, i'm in Leeds, so not too far...
    Can you PM me a pic?
    Thanks

P.S.. Is she spayed? Vaccinated etc??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice