Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm a really bad mum

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Pussy Cat Mummy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Pussy Cat Mummy

Pussy Cat Mummy PetForums Newbie

hello, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to being a cats mother (or skivvy as it generally is!).

I feel really bad tonight. My cat peed on my sons bed earlier and it went right through to the mattress. It was a biggy too so I'm not sure it will clean up. Anyway, I shouted at her and sent her to her own bed, when I had finished cleaning up the mess I went downstairs to see her and she was sat with her back to me in her basket which she had pood in.......now I know that cats like to let you know when you have done something to upset them (and she is a very moody lady) but I am concerned that I frightened her into doing that, as it is her own personal space that she loves. She was sat in it as well. So I had that to clean up as well and now my cat refuses to talk to me.

Feel totally bad as I love her to bits but I am not very happy about the bed wetting situation. I should also mention that she did it earlier on our bath mat too and has never done this before. I know there could be an infection and will book an appointment for the vet who she also hates, so she won't be speaking to me for some time yet but I'm really upset and concerned about the pooing thing.

Don't know if I want reassurance or a good telling off but my hubby is out and I feel terrible :(

2. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

I would get her checked over by your vet to be on the safe side.

Weeing and pooing outside the litter box could indicate that she is not feeling well or that she is stressed out for some reason. I know what she did has annoyed you but please dont scold her as it would only make her worse.

3. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Try to put yourself in your cat's position. She is an intelligent being living with some weird creatures who don't understand her needs or her language. How can she get your attention that something is wrong? By acting out of character, of course.:)

So she's trying to tell you something is wrong. Stop, for a moment, thinking about the extra work you have in cleaning up. Think only about her. And talk to her. Treat her as you would a human. Ask her for some help in understanding what she needs.

Check everything you have changed recently. Have you shampooed the carpet? Cats are very sensitive to chemicals. Is there a new person or animal in the house? Cats can take tim to come round to new additions.

If you exhaust all possibilities, blame the food. Commercial pet food can cause so many health problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice