Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Im a bit put out by this!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kinjilabs, May 7, 2010.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ok so Ted goes to hydro twice a week and obviously I have become quite friendly with the lady that does his sessions, we talk sometimes on facebook, lady concerned has sent me this message....

"Julie (my boss) has told me that the pool clients and my personnal life have to remain separate so she told me to delete you from my friends list."

I feel quite put out about this, facebook is a social place and I cant see that anyone can tell you not to be friends with anyone on there:frown:

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i cant see what it has to do with her boss really, i know there are certain situations that people have to be careful with who they are friends with but dont get this one :confused::

3. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have to say that has happened at my work aswell, i work in a primary school and we have been asked not to accept 'parents' and to delete any that we already have! I guess it is to protect the workers privacy and professionally too i guess?!

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

to be honest i dont think she has any right to say who she can or cannot be friends with outside of work. im guessing this lady is an adult, therefore she should do as she pleases.

but thats my opinion!! lol:D

5. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

although its got nothing to do with them who you make friends with on facebook but where i work we have had to sign a form to say we wont discuss work on there as its basically s**ging off the company and we can get done for it if we post anything that will offend

6. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

I fully support seperating business from pleasure, after all the business owner is looking after her own interests, if the employee leaves on bad terms then it is more than likely she will put status updates on facebook, giving bad PR to the company.

Some people status updates can get rather personal too and with the world as judgemental as it is today then its hardly surprising that you will get clients asking for another therapist etc to complete treatment If they do not agree with something they have commented on.

Im guessing the owner has worked hard for the business she has, why ruin it with a few flippant remarks that could be said in a light hearted manner but taken seriously!

7. jen24

jen24 Banned

In that case she shouldnt have a facebook account at all. Im sure you know as well as i do that everyone on facebook is connected in someway, friends are friends with friends and so on, whatever she said and whoever she said it to, it could still get back to her boss, or cause rumours to fly about the business.

so im guessing the boss doesnt have an account then?!

8. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I dunno, i agree with don't mix business and pleasure. I got invited out for drinks by a customer last year but felt i had to decline. I don't have anyone from my work on facebook either.

9. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

We never discuss her work on there! to me its a social place not work, and she has a group on facebook advertising her hydro with loads of members so they are bound to discuss the hydro:confused:
    To me its insulting:frown:

10. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hmmm that's a tricky one! I guess I would use my discretion/judgement there. I guess if you are a professional and can keep 'company secrets' from clients who happen to stop by your Facebook page, then I guess it's your perogative. I'm of the feeling that outside of office hours, your private life is yours and that should not be dictated to you by company bosses. I understand he/she has built up a business, but surely they should respect you as an adult human being and give you a bit of trust? Facebook is a PUBLIC domain - so isn't it the case that they can search for you anyway? It would be different if you were in breach of contract - if you're not, then I don't see the problem. Just m.o. Go on as you mean to and good luck! :thumbup:

Dobermum

11. jen24

jen24 Banned

id find it insulting too.

if this boss has a group on facebook for her hydro then it doesnt make sense why she wouldnt want you talking to this woman. your grown adults, you can be friends with who you want. your not children for goodness sake.

im sure the boss has friends on facebook and if she does, she has no right to tell your lady friend that she cant be friends with you. either that or none of them should have accounts in the first place.

what does your friend say about it? is she planning on deleting you? has she already?

12. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'd find it very insulting. I have a few teachers from my 6th form (I left last June) on my FB, and one of my maths teachers was told to delete me as a friend, even though we meet up for coffee with her son, and go out shopping and such.

I think that as long as you don't discuss your work or whatever needs to stay confidential, then I don't get the big problem to be honest.

13. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yes she has deleted me, what makes me mad is that boss wants a group on there for ad reasons then we arent able to talk to anyone about it!!!! believe me if I wasnt happy with the hydro (which I am)I could spread the word wherever I wanted, I just dont get it:rolleyes:

14. jen24

jen24 Banned

ah right, i understand your annoyance, i would be annoyed too. its a shame she did delete you but i guess she was just doing as she was told, try not to take it personally though, im sure she didnt want to.

i was going to say the only other thing you could do would be to block her boss on facebook so she cant see you. then she wouldnt know! that may be a bit extreme but at least you could be freinds with whoever you want!

just seems a little sad.

15. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I dont even know if her boss is on there!
    Its not a matter of deleting me we dont talk that much, its just annoying that someone can tell me who I can or cant be friends with, its my life!!!!!

16. jen24

jen24 Banned

thats understandable. it all seems a little silly to me. :)

17. Merlin Birmingham

But this situation has proved my point.

Word has got out and now there is bad feeling towards to company or owner of the said company.

Now imagine if it was something more serious that got out?

I do not think the Boss has a problem with the employee having a facebook profile she is just requesting not to have clients as friends, Most places stipulate this now and in my opinion its for good reason!

18. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yes but I have no problems with the "company" didnt even think of it being anything to do with the company, like I said before if! I had any issues with the company I wouldnt have to go on facebook. I could post complaints anywhere on the internet, we were just "friends" on facebook:rolleyes:

19. Merlin Birmingham

I completely understand your feeling and that shows your capability of being pro active.

Unfortunately though, there are people who are not so understanding so as far as the business owner is concerned its damage limitation!

20. jen24

jen24 Banned

ok i wrote a really long reply but managed to erase it!!! but basically i was going to say it hasnt proved your point at all. no one is saying anything about her business or her personally!

unfortunatly if you own a business you have to expect that you may get some bad press once in a while. just cos they were friends doesnt mean they were going to talk about work, im sure she has better things to do and if the boss was that bothered couldnt she have had a contract drawn up stating no work related talk was allowed. would have made more sense to me, and been a little less silly!

but thats just my opinion!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice