Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'm a bit emotional - sorry if I ramble. (few pics too)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Owned By A Yellow Lab, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

For the past two weeks, Dexter has been doing something a bit special... I thought I'd share it here because I think as fellow dog lovers you will really understand what it's meant to me to have my boy by my side at this time.

So.... Just under a fortnight ago, my Mum was moved into a hospice. Of course my brother and I want to be there all the time with her - but this presented a problem re Dex. No way was I going to leave him at home for hours on end, and he can't stay at my bro's because his Lab pup won't leave Dex alone.

Imagine my relief when I found out that the hospice welcomes pets!!! So for two weeks, Dex has been my constant companion while I've been with my Mum. I took him for the evening just to start with. He was a bit nervy but by the next day, was wandering around happily, on a loose lead.

He has brought a smile to so many people's faces. The nurses all really like him; today one of them asked if she could take his picture to show a friend!

Another nurse says Dex is like the hospice 'mascot'. One nurse recently lost her own dog and when she saw Dex she beamed and made such a fuss of him. He gets cuddles every day from most of the staff (he's thus far managed to stick his head up most of the women's skirts :rolleyes:)

On the second day, a nurse asked if I would bring Dex to meet a blind lady who was staying there. Dex lay down very calmly at her feet so she could scratch his head. I was so proud of my boy.

Other people who are there a lot, sitting with close family, are also asking to meet Dex. There are two guys who have come from abroad and have had to leave their own dogs back at home - they told me they were thrilled to suddenly see a big yellow Lab looking at them and frantically wagging his tail :D

I've stayed overnight three times - and Dex has stayed with me. He curls up on the window seat and is good as gold. He's even starting to conquer his fear of 'strange' floors, because some of the rooms have shiny laminate vinyl, and Dex will now wander in, albeit warily.

We go for lots of short walks, have explored a local park, and we're doing loads of training while there. Dex's 'leave' is now superb!

Here are a few pics of Dex at the hospice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANKS FOR READING :)

2. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

This is so lovely, what an amazing boy he is, to be able to give you support during such a hard time for you. He looks so chilled out, happy and relaxed in those pictures too! Thanks for sharing :) x

3. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Well done! :D

4. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

Such a lovely story to hear :) made me go gooey and warm inside :blush:

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your mum and what you are all going through :(

Dexter seems to have pulled out all the stops for you and is being a great help and comfort to you, your mum and the other people in the hospice. You must be really proud of him - he is a credit to you :)

Big hug from me and Jack x

6. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Thank you :)

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

They know, and sometimes when they know, they do what's right, Dexter sounds like one of those, and no wonder you're so proud :)

8. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

So lovely, it sounds like Dex is bringing a lot of joy to people who really need it :).

9. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Aaaaw! How fantastic!

These furballs on 4 legs seem to make us feel instantly better! He looks like hes really relaxed.

Sorry to hear about your Mum :( I bet shes glad to see Dex though xxx

10. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

What a special boy he is. ;). No wonder you're emotional. Must be a tough time.
    He looks very comfy on his window seat, and very handsome as always. :001_tt1:
    Thanks for sharing. :)

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, I know hospice staff are wonderful and she will get the best of care.

It's lovely that they welcome pets and you must be so proud of Dex, what a good boy you have to be so friendly and settle like that. All the work you've put in with him certainly shines through now doesn't it?

You didn't ramble at all and it's not surprising you're feeling emotional, hugs from here. xx

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

So very sorry to hear about your Mum and what you must be going through at the moment.

Glad to hear though, that Dex must be bringing you and so many people such comfort and happiness, what a star he is bless him.

13. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your mum. But so glad your clever boy is bringing comfort to so many.

14. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear about your mum.

What a star Dexter is and a massive comfort for you and so many others. He looks very chilled.

Take care lovely, hugs from me and Molls x

15. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Thank you :)

Yes - it's really quite strange, it's like all the work we've done has suddenly 'clicked'. We went to a park in the area where the hospice is. A brand new park. Full of new dogs. And Dex recalled PERFECTLY - each time!

I guess my boy has really grown up!

16. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum.

Dex looks like he's having a wonderful time though. I'm sure he's loving all the fuss. What an amazing boy!

Good luck with everything and keep smiling.

Dogs always surprise us during difficult times... I like that no one can explain it, but dogs just know :)

17. KellyNelly

KellyNelly PetForums Member

That is such a lovely post.

I am sorry to hear about your Mum.

It's great that Dex is bringing such joy to other people and making you so proud in the process.

18. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Really sorry about your mum, I know what you're going through and it must be so hard. Thank goodness you've got Dex to lean on and he's being such a superstar.

Pets as Therapy Dog in training?

19. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your mum and what you are going through
    Really heartwarming though to hear of the support and help that Dex is bringing to those there.
    He sounds like he knows just what he needs to do, good boy

20. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

ahh I am sorry to hear about your mum :(

How lovely though for you to be able to bring Dex along, I bet he has been a brilliant source of comfort for all of you - and everyone else in the hospice by the sounds of things!

If he's taking it all in his stride so well, would you consider maybe volunteering yourselves for Pets as Therapy? He looks like he really enjoys being around everyone :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice