Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ignoring other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Olive24, May 22, 2020 at 8:19 PM.

1. Olive24

Olive24 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have a 5 month old Pomeranian male. I was out walking him in the park the other day, he behaves very well on leash (barely any pulling etc.) but as soon as another dog walks by, he starts pulling and squealing, trying to go and meet them. How should I go about making him ignore other dogs and behaving more calmly?

I would like to start training him off leash after we can solve our first problem.
    What would be the best way to train him to follow me consistently on walks off leash and not run off wherever he wants? How do I strengthen recall, especially in an exciting place such as a park full of exciting smells and other dogs?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Work out the distance at which he remains calm at the sight of other dogs and praise/reward that behaviour.

Use a harness and long line to retain control while allowing some freedom to work on recall.

Look at kikopup, positively.com and thecanineconsultants.co.uk for specific training methods.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice