Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ignoring an Interview - Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RachJeremy, Sep 21, 2013.

1. RachJeremy

RachJeremy PetForums Senior

This is not for me... I'm posting this as i want to prove a point to my boyfriend.

He recently started a job in a warehouse working for an agency. But got made redundant after about two weeks along with some others.

Now i work for McDonalds. And he said to me he'd apply there as he knows we're actually in need of over 18s.
    So i helped him apply since i knew some of the answers already.

Waiting for a reply, he tells me he didn't have one. For me to tell one of my managers that he'd got no reply, for her to ask his name and tell me they'd replied two days earlier and were waiting for him to accept or decline the interview...

Now i'm partly annoyed he lied in telling me he hadn't got a reply, as it's clear he has.
    Now he's saying he wants to keep his options open and look for a different job that isn't stressful... >.< I told him no job is stress free. And i keep telling him to just do the interview. To no avail and having him shout at me saying he wants to do things on his own and doesn't want to be pressured... But i'm trying to tell him there are no jobs going, none that he'd want and at the end of the day it's a paid job and he shouldn't be going back on job seekers when there is a job right in front of him...

So please... Can you post on this, as i want to show him you replies and opinions. As in this day and age, finding a job is hard and not many people get jobs they want now because hardly anything is going. I had to give up horses because it wasn't well paid and ended up with McDs. And i don't hate it there, i'm well looked after and paid well.

Me, my mum and several friends of mine think he's being a fool to let this go.... Do you think he is too?

2. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Sounds to me like he wants some time off work :p

It would be pretty cool to work together wouldn't it :)

If he isn't that keen, maybe he could do part time hours, a job is a job at the end of the day and your right its tough at the moment.

3. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I can only answer with what I would do in similar circumstances.

If I were unfortunate enough to be made redundant, I would take any job that I could in in the short term in order to pay my way. Whilst doing that job, which I probably would not like very much, I would be looking for a much better job, one that was more suited to what I wanted to do rather than what I needed to do.

It's a sad fact of life, but when every job advertised has many people applying, employers are much more likely to give interviews to people who are already in work than out of work.

btw - if he does come across a job that is stress-free, would he let me know what it is because I want to work there too - I'm 58 and I have never had a stress-free job in my life! :lol:

4. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

With the job climate been as it is at the minute,I think its disrespectful what your OH is doing.
    Fair enough if he doesn't want to work at McDonalds but to ignore them is rude.Not only is he wasting the managements time but also stopping people who DO actually want to work there from applying for that position.:(

5. RachJeremy

Exactly what i've been trying to tell him for over a day now!

My managers are likely to give him the job because we need over 18 year old staff.

It's why i've landed McDs, because i couldn't afford to leave or lose my last job and be on job seekers. I took the opportunity at McDs, and now i couldn't be happier. But he seems to think he can find a job thats better in a short space of time.

And he can look for his dream job whilst working with McDs, which i've tried to tell him...

Basically he's having none of it.

6. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

If I was made redundant then I would take any job, even if it were temporary while I looked for something more suitable.

No job is stress free, but you can make the best of it to get by.

I would have been fuming if I were you as I agree that jobs are difficult to find at the moment & bills still have to be paid.

7. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Don't you get free food if you work there? Take some home after your shift and eat it in front of him saying "ummm, ha, umm this is so nice and its free" but don't let him have any

8. RachJeremy

Yer we get a free meal each shift. Not the best thing to eat often, but it saves me buying food! Just skip dinner and lunch XD

9. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

I think you will have to leave him to it now, as he obviously thinks very differently from you. Just don't bail him out financially. That would make it too easy for him.

Could he be frightened of trying Maccy D's, if it is different from what he is used to? Or do you think he is happy to take JSA until "something comes along" (or not)?

Or has his confidence taken a knock, since being made redundant. That can happen.

I admire your philosophy. You got out there, and made it work for you.

Now he's got to pick himself up and want to do the same.

Let him make his own decision, but keep boosting him up in other ways.

10. RachJeremy

I want to leave him to it... But in the past i've had to be the one who pushes him to do things as he's never confident or motivated enough to do it. One or the other. He was on JSA for about a year before he got this warehouse job. He was going to apply to McDs before the warehouse job and it caused a bit of upset since i'd managed to get him a one off interview without him having to apply online with a manager, which now i can't get back. And he's going to have to apply online, which he did after he got made redundant. And he was dead set and keen on doing it. And i have to find out through a manager that he's not replied. That's what i think it hurting the most, is the fact i've gone to so much to help him get a job so he doesn't have to go back on JSA which his parents will force him to go onto if he doesn't get a job soon as he has to keep his car on the road.

It's just i don't understand where he gets the idea he can wait around... I would have thought he'd of learnt from what i went through that waiting is not an option... He even tried to say i don't know how it feels to be pressured or 'trapped'... But i do, as i felt pressured to find a new job asap with my old job as the head girl was threatening my job (all be it my job was never actually on the line - i found out after i handed my notice and my boss found out what she'd said!) and at that time, there was no jobs going and i did feel trapped. I couldn't leave the job as i couldn't afford it. And i couldn't find another job. And then the new McDs was opening in my hometown so i jumped at the chance, applied Saturday, got an interview the Monday and had the job by Monday evening and i started as soon as i could. And i haven't looked back. And it's bloody good pay!

I really hope he does realise what he's missing out on. As this time i won't be helping him money wise. He needs to do it on his own.... But what do i do when he won't? And his parents won't push him either.

11. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

He applied for the job, it's bad manners to ignore the interview so he needs to acknowledge that and accept or decline politely, like a grown up. If he is having to claim jobseekers is he allowed to refuse interviews?

Unless he has an alternative way of making money he is in to position to be turning down work - it strikes me, that he is being lazy or sees working in McDonalds as beneath him in some way.

12. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

He maybe feels being in a relationship AND working together could just be faaaaar too stifling. So he is hoping another job will present itself instead.

You may be miffed by my post, but actually NOT ending up working together is more likely to mean the relationship lasts the test of time ;)

Your boyfriend may also realise this! ((((Hugs))))

Money is common and found easily, true love is rare therefore should be cherished and regarded far more highly than money. ;)

#12 tillysdream, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  13. RachJeremy

To be honest, i would love for him to have a job away from me. As i know it can test our relationship. But when it's one of the only jobs going... You kinda only want what is best.

If it means he has to work around me for a months until he finds a new job, that's something we'll have to tackle. But refusing it completely isn't really fair or like others said is not right when he needs a job.

14. RachJeremy

I don't think he thinks it's beneath him. I just think he thinks it will be stressful, as at times i've complained to him about things. But that's usually because i'm left to do 4+ jobs on my own on top of customers. Like today, i was left serving on till, doing drinks, running orders for front and drive through and running window 2 completely on my own. I had chokka block orders going through, half the drinks made and i was making the rest of them, and a lad was moping the floor saying he just had to mop the floor then could go home early. I'd asked him twice to help but he refused as it was his last job then he was leaving early. So i literally shouted at him that he needs to help me by at least starting to hand out orders, since customers we're getting angry and he was just mopping and i was the only one doing everything. Saying it's not teamwork. He ended up being told off by a manager for being rude and unhelpful and complaining about me telling him off when i had every right, then being made to stay the rest of his shift!

So it's by no means easy. But we are understaffed. One more member of staff will actually make all the difference.

15. tillysdream

tillysdream Banned

I edited my post to add a further reason, take a look... :)

16. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

Perhaps your stories about Maccy D life have put him off? And the last thing you want is you two falling out at work, and it affecting your relationship.

Supermarkets like Tescos are now beginning to advertise for Christmas staff round here? Would he have a go at something like that, do you think? Sometimes it can lead to a permanent psition.

I'd suggest offering to help him job search for something different if he wants, then backing off for a few weeks. See what he does. Try and build up his confidence in other ways. It's got to come from him, but he's got to believe in himself.

17. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

I posted on this thread but it's nowhere to be seen :blink:

anyway - ofc he should of gone to the interview, he will soon get bored of being unemployed and skint, it's not all the media would have you believe.
    the idea about Christmas jobs is good, often they will keep someone on if they are very good, boots and argos always hire at Christmas time, usually in about October,

if he is this unreliable at interview stage, got to wonder how unreliable he would be in the actual job and if you were to recommend him it would look badly on you, so might be a blessing in disguise.

18. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

I think it is important that he at least contacts McD's, to tell them that he will not be interviewing. Otherwise, it may count against him in the future, when he needs it more.

Also if he knows he should reply, then he might just decide to give it a go anyway.

At the moment, for whatever reason, he is being a bit of an ostrich, hoping it will all just go away.

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

He should go for the interview and if he gets the job it doesn't stop him looking for something else.

For some reason it's much easier to get a job when your working than out of work.

20. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Your man sounds like a bludger, a jobs a job he could have taken that then moved on after he found a better one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice