Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ignorant or plain stupid...or is she right

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Someone just told me I was mean.

Mean for having a puppy and leaving it for 4 hours a day, mean for crating it and clearly an irresponsible owner because he is not fully house trained at 12 weeks.

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or punch her in the face!?

:mad:

2. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

people have different opinions on different things ...

do not duel and take the good bits out of each experience

3. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

If the pup is healthy and happy then don't worry.

All you have to do is watch those RSPCA rescue programmes on TV to see how bad some owners are!

I felt a bit like you do earlier today, but I know we do our best for our pup and that's what matters :)

4. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Sorrry, just had to pick up myself from the floor - I fell of my chair laughing ...

firstly crating is a great way to train your pup ... it is a great way of keeping it safe when you are not there.

I have a 14 1/2 week old pup who is not house trained yet, and is a complete pain in that department....!! But when I am out, and there is no one in the house both my dogs are crated (the other day it was 5 hours) - it only happens once or twice a week, if that but I know they are safe and the mess, if any is confined to the crate - luckily we have had no mess in the crate.

Ozzy is crated over night too, and we have no accidents either.

Basically I would say Ignorant and Stupid.

housetraining takes a long time - some people are lucky - I haven't been, I am still struggling with the bowl and scrubbing brush ... but it will come.

4 hours is okay I think for the pup, as long as it is out and about when you are there.

Good luck with it x

5. Horse and Hound

Here's the thing...she owns cats, not dogs. Never had one.

Same idiot told me I was cruel for shoeing my horse! :rolleyes:

He's happy as larry, whoever Larry is! He plays with us, gets walked, fed, regular trips to the stables to play with the other dogs or roll in poo, whatever he wants, loves other dogs, loves other peoples. The vet commented on what a happy chap he was!

It tugs on my heart strings a bit I suppose, as I do feel bad for leaving him for 4 hours, but I do have to work. it would be a lot longer but we get our neighbour to come in after school and take him out for a play. Then he's on his own for about half an hour again before I come home, or sometimes not at all if I finish eary.

He has roam of the kitchen when I am out. His crate is in there, with the door open and some newspaper by the back door, which is where he tends to pee now anyway. Its a tile floor so anything he does is easily cleaned up. He's reasonably well behaved and was brilliant at night until we took him to a sitter (see my other thread). Now we've gone back to the start with that as well, which is a pain in the arse!

#5 Horse and Hound, Jun 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  6. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Oh my!:rolleyes:

'Someone' is woefully misinformed.

I'm going with laughing! :D

You are doing just fine. :thumbup:

7. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

:eek: a dog can take anything up to a year and sometimes longer to be fully toilet trained in some cases. i think leaving the puppy for a few hours at a time is a good thing as it gives the puppy independence otherwise you could end up with problems when the pup is older and you have to leave him/her.

honestly i don`t think you`re doing anything wrong, just brush it off and ignore them :)

8. Horse and Hound

I might send he a present in the internal post from Rupert...a special, brown present... :cool:

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Alot of people have odd idea's about puppies, I'm the first to say I hate crates never have and never will use them for my dogs but obviously they suit some people and their dogs so I'd never tell someone they were cruel to use them (unless as some they are used incorrectly). Leaving a puppy...well in the real world the majority of us poor saps have to actually work for a living so tough pup will cope and it certainly doesn't make anyone who does it (myself included) a bad owner...just unlucky cos we have to work!!

And toilet training...my 3 year old JRT still pee's in the house if it's raining, and my lurcher has accidents at 8 months old (I've only had him 5 weeks but still!!). So what it's my house and if I can cope with it then it's gone nothing to do with anyone else.!!:thumbup:

Tell her to go boil her head and talk to someone that cares. ;)

10. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

Horse and Hound

well there r everywhere this "I KNow ALL , I'll Do better , you crap , U deserve **** '
    I've got my own stake from somebody who I considerate once a friend ...

just don't let it get u to much .....

11. mum2three

mum2three PetForums Junior

I would be feeling just like you. I take things to heart and go over them for hours. I bet your doing a great job:thumbup:.

12. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Just let it go over your head and ignore it. I get told im cruel for keeping my cat inside the whole time, regularly by someone whose own cats all met an untimely death by getting mashed up in a car engine.

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

There is always somebody ready to pass judgement but what goes round comes round. As long as Rupert is happy their opinions are irrelevant :thumbup:

14. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

what a great name for a dog....Rupert!!! am loving it.
    am loving your organisation and dedication to your puppy already.
    some folk just dont know when to keep their noses out!
    keep up the good work and dont waste another minute worrying over this ill informed person.
    :thumbup:

15. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I'd say ignore them ;)

I didn't use a crate with my eldest - and was VERY lucky she never destroyed anything - but she was a nightmare to housetrain - she finally 'got it' around 6 months.

with 6, I've now got crates dotted around the house, and all my dogs go in them, with doors open out of choice - the four eldest are rarely ever in closed crates - but because three of them have been crate trained, they can be very useful for unexpected visitors and workmen etc and go in them without a snivel.

I've got also got two kennels & secure runs in the garden in case I need them during the daytime (seasons because I have entire dogs and bitches and for whelping times etc) - the other day, my boy had the run of the garden and the kennel was open - I thought he had somehow gone :scared: he was in the kennel run happily munching on a bone :lol: :lol:

Used correctly, crates almost provide a 'den' for the dog and are usually a godsend for housetraining :D

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Ignore her. At 12 weeks puppies have gotten control over their muscles to be able to hold it before that it's about getting them outside on time. Crating isn't crul my nearly 5 year old dog still sleeps in his happily and willingly. If yo abuse it then it is but most of the time it's a safe den for the dog

17. Horse and Hound

The OH actually chose it. We were toying with calling him Elvis then he saw some kid with a Rupert the Bear T-shirt on!

To be honest, I'm not sure we're doing a brilliant job, we seem to be going backwards! :( He was FINE at night and during the day in the kitchen on his own. We never heard a peep out of him, but since Sunday night he's been whining, scratching at the door and has broken his crate door so that he can get out of it now at night time.

Last night we had 10 minutes of howling before he settled down and then he woke me up howling at half 4. I went down the stairs, waited till he was quiet for a good 30 seconds then went in. He'd had 2 wees and a poop. Cleaned it up without a word, let him outside then I took him upstairs as I usually do once he's woken up. He is allowed upstairs but only when we take him.

Went back to sleep and got up at half 7 this morning, I'm nakered.

Also the bloke next door but 1 heard him barking yesterday whilst I was at work. He says he only heard him as he was out in the back garden but felt sorry for him. He has a key so I've said if he's ever being a pain he can pop in and let him out for a bit but I'm beginning to worry we're doing something MAJORLY wrong.

18. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

why don't u move the crape near by u at night times for couple days ? SA everyone?

19. Horse and Hound

But I don't understand how SA has suddenly evolved after he was fine?

Actually, yes I do, the dog sitter let him sleep in her room when we went away. What I worry about is if we let him back in our room it's going to make it harder when we try to make him sleep in the kitchen further down the line?

20. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Just because you leave your puppy for 4 hours a day does not make you mean, I know of someone who is at home all day and still do nothing at all with her dogs... now thats mean !

Crating a puppy at night is fine if he's happy about it, the person mentioned above keeps hers in a crate during the day so she can mess about on facebook in peace... now thats mean !

It can take upto 6 months to fully train a puppy, it's not irresponsible thats he's not fully trained at 12 weeks... if anything it's unreasonable to expect it :rolleyes: Again I refer to the person mentioned above, her last dog was still dirtying and weeing in the kids bedroom at 3 years of age but given that the poor thing had been kept in a crate all through the day and had received no training whatsoever, not even so much as a walk in the 3 years that she had her... now thats irresponsible !!

Whoever has said this to you should indeed get a good slap in the face ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice