Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If you were a landlord....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Nov 19, 2012.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just after some ideas really. I have a new job for 2013 after spending this year studying and living with my parents, and am now looking to find a place to rent by myself. It's not particularly easy to find somewhere that will accept pets here, especially as there tends to be more people looking for rentals than rentals available.

I'm thinking of doing a little 'CV' for Kenzie and Tala, to increase my chances of finding a place.

So far, for Kenzie I've thought of saying:
    - She's very small (with a photo)
    - She is two years old
    - She doesn't moult
    - She has been to obedience classes (can give the names)
    - She is trained in and competes in agility
    - She attends doggy daycare/I will get a dog walker in during the day
    - She doesn't dig or bark and is fully toilet trained
    - She is crate trained
    - She has lived in rental accommodation before with no problems
    - They are welcome to meet her

For Tala I will say:
    - She spends most of her time outside except when sleeping
    - She is 7 years old
    - She is a very calm cat
    - She has lived in 3 different rental places before with no problems

And I'll offer extra bond and to have the carpets cleaned when I leave.

Is there anything else you can think of that I could say that would work in my favour?

2. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

If I were a landlord I think main concern would be whether likely to chew/destroy anything and housetrained plus any barking noise issues to neighbours. So maybe a mention on those and if rented before say references available?

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Add that they are fully up to date with flea treatments, worming and vaccinations, and never toilet indoors. Includes references from vets, trainers, current landlord (parents!) and present neighbours too, if possible.

I have properties that I rent, and whilst I always state no pets (bad experiences in past!) I will always carefully consider them if asked, and I'd be exceptionally impressed with something like that :)

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Sounds good, lets be honest if you have no luck you can add in extra stuff or try to bargain a bit! Give it a go as it stands I reckon :)

5. CaliDog

CaliDog Greedy Mummy Bear!

That is a brill idea! :p defiantly add about regular flea treatment :)

6. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

I used to be so annoyed when all the rental ads said no pets, but since my mums tenants moved out i can really see why people say that.
    My mum had tenants who had 3 little dogs and 2 cats, they seemed well behaved so my mum being a animal lover said they could have the pets there.
    Well after they moved out the carpets were so wet with urine you could have rang them out. They changed 2 of the carpets but afterwards we could still not get rid of the smell of cat spray. We had to buy a paint to paint on the floor as the urine and spray had soaked into the concrete
    . Still no luck so we had to lift the brand new laminate flooring as underneath was drenched.
    It still had a very very bad smell so we washed all the walls and painted them, still no luck.
    Weeks later we noticed the smell was coming from the window, the widow ledge was drenched in cat wee and we had to rip it out. We then ended up ripping up all the floor boards and it cost thousands and thousands of pounds. The smell is still there. We cant get rid of it, and cant sell the house as people comment on the smell when they view it.
    I would try and prove to your landlord they are clean pets and you will make sure their house stays the way it is.
    Good luck trying to find a house.

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Good idea, thanks :)

Oh didn't think about flea/worm/vaccs, thanks :)

I'll definitely get some references from all those people you suggest too.

I know from past experience with just my cat that lots of places say no pets as a sort of blanket thing, but if you enquire further they are flexible :)

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh that's horrible!!! What terrible tenants!!! :mad: I'll definitely reinforce the point that they are completely and 100% clean in the house. Imagine living with pets that did that too!!! :yikes:

9. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Oh and I split up 15 years ago. We couldn't live apart so got back together pretty quick, but kept the house he'd bought in case we ever needed to part again. We didn't! He'd learned the error of his ways (though perhaps he'd have it the other way around). :D

Anyway, we are landlords, but we say no pets. The house is our investment. If the carpets are worn/stained we have to replace them. I can't tell you how demoralising it is to have to buy new carpets or a new washing machine for a house you don't live in when your own home could do with some tlc. And as for rush landlords - we have to pay the mortgage which cancels out the rent.

Just showing it from the landlords point of view.

So, our managing agents would tell you - no pets! But if you pushed them to approach us with your dog CVs I reckon we'd be impressed, and would consider it. Maybe add in a clause that said any carpets ruined would be at your expense!

Landlords are nice people really, just don't want their houses ruined.

10. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks - I totally understand why landlords say no pets and don't blame them at all! Unfortunately it's just not great for me!

I would quite happily sign a contract that stated any damage (although unlikely!) would be paid for by me. To be honest I'd feel TERRIBLE about leaving a rental property in a worse state than it started in!

11. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

I thought i would ring my mum and read her your post. She said that you sounded responsible and even after everything she has been thru with her last tenants she would probably let someone like you rent.
    The most important thing would be references from previous landlords, saying you left the house clean and tidy with no damage or smell.
    And also a larger deposit for damages. She would also want to know where the pets would be left while your at work or out. If after all of that you had arranged things properly she would seriously consider letting someone with pets rent again.
    What she did point out was what people must bear in mind is that someone elses pet will give her no joy what so ever. Yes she loves animals but when your house is destroyed by a pet you will never see its very disheartening.

12. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Looks fab :) esp with the additions mentioned by others
    My brother done a similar thing (although not as detailed) and he rents a house that was advertised as no pets :)

Best of Luck

13. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

A lot of rentals want a bigger deposit if you have pets, which is understandable incase of damage.

My rental agreement includes the conditions that i am responsible for any damage they may cause and that i will get all carpets professionally steam cleaned if i leave.

I think most people would be more than happy to rent to you with your well behaved pets. References of this would definately help, and good luck finding somewhere.

14. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I rented my house out for a few years, I did state no pets. However one tenant did get a dog, without asking, but as it happens it was no trouble and left less mess than its owner :rolleyes: The next tenant was a sort of friend/acquaintance, I knew she had a CKC but she was a local business owner, good friend of my cousin so assumed she was responsible. What I didn't take into account was that she needed to rent because she had just split up from her hubby, I let her rent as a favour really. However I think she comforted herself with accumulating more pets, I popped round a couple of months later to collect the rent and she had the original spaniel, an African grey parrot, a rescue collie, and 3 cats one of which had just had 6 kittens :eek: all in a two up two down. I still gave her the benefit of the doubt, it was kept as clean as I would expect and as a friend I trusted she would leave it in a similar state, but when she finally left the place was in right mess. Bizarrely the parrot was the worst culprit, the walls where its cage had sat were covered in sh!t and grime as was the carpet underneath :nonod:

Having said that although I would be more wary and probably do more home checks initially if I was presented with something along those lines I would consider renting to pets if I was in that situation again.

15. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

SO glad my landlord and landlady are his parents! Can only echo what others have said. I'd definitely go for recommendations from previous landlords though, a lot of people do lie.

16. lottieloo

lottieloo PetForums Member

We rent out our house and stated no pets but the estate agent looking after the property did their 3 monthy check and noted that they had two cats. We had to ask them to get 'rid' of them as I an allergic to cats so couldnt go into the the house without taking piriton etc. They did re home them but they gave notice this September and as part of the agreement they said they would pay to have the house carpets cleaned but we are in a battle with them at the minute because they have decided they have changed their mind about the cost!!!!!!!!!
    We have had to pay for the carpets to be cleaned and now in the process of claiming it back :mad:
    But saying that our new tennant have got 2 bassett hounds and they ASKED us if they can live there and we said yes.

17. DogLover1981

DogLover1981 PetForums VIP

I don't understand why some landlords don't allow pets. I met someone who was landlord that saw more damage caused by children than pets. He would prefer people with dogs over children, I guess.

18. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I can see both sides. It infuriates me how difficult it is to rent if you have pets and I dread having to try to in the future. However, as someone that owns property and is about to rent it out, I am probably going to say no pets :eek: It's just I've spent the past 9 months renovating the property and have spent a fortune on it! I'm only going to rent it for 6 months - a year and then I want to sell it. So, the idea of having just put in new EVERYTHING, including light carpets, having spent all this time, and care, and money (not to mention the stress) and then risking pets ruining it fills me with dread. I do feel guilty about it though. If I'd bought some flat and not done anything to make it all pretty, I would allow pets, but given the effort it's taken to get it looking so good... I feel a bit precious about it I suppose.

Then again though, I doubt many people would go to as much effort as you McKenzie to demonstrate what a responsible owner you are. Personally, seeing references from previous landlords stating that you'd left it in a good condition would definitely go far to reassuring me.

19. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

It was certainly the human tenants that did more damage in my house ;) but the last tenant didn't clean up after her pets, it wasn't that they damaged the property as such it just needed a complete deep clean and redecoration. Had I known what I was getting into and had she asked about all the additional animals I would have wanted a larger deposit, but she wouldn't have been able to raise that so........

20. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If you were a landlord/lady, and had properties ruined by pets, I'm sure you'd understand!

Myself and my husband have worked very hard to buy our properties - they are our investments and one day, our childrens inheritance.

In the past I have had a dog rip every single skirting board from one of the flats I rent, and had to replace every door and window frame in the other, after a cat used them all as giant scratching posts - there were even claw marks gouged in the walls! In the house, I once had to pull up every single carpet as they stank to high heaven of urine, even after professional cleaning, and had to have the place fumigated three times to get rid of all the fleas! The patio in the garden had to be relaid, and the wooden fences replaced - as they too, were soaked through with dog urine, and nothing would shift the stench. The lawn had to be returfed too, as it was all dead with urine burn. The tenant didn't get their deposit back - but that certainly didn't come any where near to covering our bill to get the place sorted again!

On the other hand, I have never had to fork out to repair or replace any damage done by children. Their teeth don't tend to be quite as sharp, and they're usually flea free and fairly well toilet trained! ;)

Hence, I always state 'no pets' as a blanket rule - but will consider them on an individual basis. I currently have a family with two large dogs in the house, and a bloke with a Scottie and two cats in one of the flats. They're both long term tenants, and whilst I initially had the agency carry out an inspection every six months, I know no longer bother as I know there are no problems.

#20 SixStar, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice