Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If you saw animal cruelty .....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Would you report it?
    Intervene?
    Walk past?
    Not care?

2. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i would report it and have done:mad: make me mad when people dont look after there animals or are cruel:mad:

3. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

It all depends on the situation, say I saw an animal in the street being kicked and abused by a gang of yobs then I would intervene there and then, if it was say a neighbour mistreating an animal but wasnt in any immediate danger then I would report it and keep my eye on things...

4. Magik

Magik Banned

I would like to say interviene but I have been arrested for assault and abduction following intervening in two seperate incodents... so although I would like to intervene I would probaby inform the relevant authorities.

5. garryd

garryd Guest

As i wouldnt want to be known as a grass,i wouldnt go to anyone , So i would probably beat the fcuk out of them the same way they was beating on there dog !

6. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

some man hit his dog with his walking stick and i shouted at him.
    its blooming horrid!

7. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

It all depends on the severity I suppose. I think animal cruelty is leaving a dog outside in a kennel to sleep in rather than in a nice warm basket inside, but thats just my opinion.

Not a lot of pet owners like hearing they're doing something wrong with their pet and it can upset them. I've gotten involved with owners and their pets a few times and gotten shouted at and fallen out with these people because they just saw it as me being nosey and bossy. I think its best to keep an eye on the situation as best you can, and then if it doesn't seem to be calming down I'd definately call the RSPCA to check it out. If for instance it was a person hitting their dog in the street, you'd get a much warmer responce from someone than going in with all guns blazing.

8. georges mummy

georges mummy PetForums Member

yes i have reported it and yes i have intervened and been threatened.
    i have also been banned from my local corner shop about a month ago because i had an argument with the owners and reported them for selling 4 week old bull mastif cross pups. i was offered one and asked the usual questions and told that they were 4 weeks old but could take it now as i seemed to know what i was doing and they needed the room any way. when asked how many the mum had i was told 9.
    there was only 5 left. they had sold 4 already.

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

as others have said it depends on the situation what action I would take if I saw someone hitting their dog in the street I would say something there and then, however if it was a neighbour that I knew was going to be trouble I would report them.

In the past I saw someone miss treating a horse when out riding they were hitting it very hard and continuously with the riding crop, I approached them and said the were using the crop to hard and that they needed to stop, I was told to mind my own buisness, but I told them if they didnt stop I would report them they just laughed and rode away doing the same thing.:mad: I saw him on another day doing the same thing again:mad:

I knew where the horse was being kept and complained to the owner of the stables and they stopped that person from riding their horses, I also reported him to the RSPCA, dont know what came of it but hope something was done, I always wonder if these people ever stop or do they just move on to the next poor animal:(

10. garryd

garryd Guest

Your opinion don't count for FA ! Thats my opinion ! I do read lots of doggy poo on here some times, it makes me laugh :rolleyes:! You say its cruel for dogs to live out side but thats where we humans brought them in from ! we took dogs out of there natural habitat away from there dens ect ect! My dogs live in my back garden ,and i had them a home built! A better home than even what your living in! It cost me a fortune to have built and on top of that they have got £100 pounds worth of continental blankets to sleep on ,which i take to the laundrette once month! Of course i have them inside allot to play and say hello ect ect .....But i don't let them sleep or live in my house ! Because if i did that with 4 bull terriers living inside the house i don't have any mortgage on, wouldn't be worth much now would it:rolleyes:
    My back garden has been done in colored pa tend concrete,so my dogs don't have to hold there self off all day ,they can get up and go to wee/poo when they want!
    My Neighbor Got a collie that lives inside ,she always telling me how dogs should live inside ect ect .... shes full of sh*t though as she leaves that dog all day inside,shes a school teacher ,so the dogs inside all day weeing and pooing:eek:The house isnt very old and it now stnks!
    If you came to my house i could educate you that a dog dont need to live inside to be happy;)!

11. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Some dogs prefer being outside.
    I have one Bull terrier that chooses to live out, she has the option of coming in at night but she would rather sleep in the shed!
    I also have a Bullmastiff that become very destructive indoors and couldnt cope with being confined so she sleeps in the other shed and roams free!
    They are both very warm in their sheds.
    The others live in and are complete tarts that wont even go out for a wee if its raining!

1 person likes this.
  12. garryd

garryd Guest

Thanks bullbreeds/Darren as for minute there i was worried and thought i was a minority!:D

13. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Not at all and the only way I could see it as being cruel is if the dog/s were freezing their bits off with little or no shelter!
    :rolleyes: Some mothers do av'em!

14. cavy_gal

cavy_gal Banned

I can't believe this, one thing I never forgot when leaving the dog rescue I worked with, was to never let the dog sleep outside or live outside. It's heartbreaking to think my little dog was a stray on the street and had to sleep outside, and I read owners actually LET their dogs sleep outside in bloody sheds! I'm completely shocked by this! At least I know my dog and future dogs will be looked after properly and will NEVER sleep outside!

15. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Here we go!
    My dear, if it was cruel it would be against the law now wouldnt it! :rolleyes:
    Did you even read my reply?
    One of my dogs actually chooses to sleep outside!
    The other is more relaxed and doesnt chew herself into a frenzy.
    Where may I ask has your dog being a stray got anything to do with it?

16. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

P.S As you are only a 20 year old short statured lesbian and have alot to learn, you might want to get yourself a job as all animals (you will find) cost money to look after properly. ;)
    PLEASE NOTE: This is information filed under her profile and is not being used to offend :D:p

17. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

:D:D:D:D

Why do people think its evil to leave dogs outside?
    i think that if a dog live's or chooses to live outside then as long as it is sheltered and has blankets or some sort to keep warm i truly DONOT see a problem :)

18. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

:D
    Me neither! :confused:

19. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I'm afraid this is rescue centre mentality, dogs are perfectly happy to be kennelled outside, most if not all working dogs such as herding dogs, Gundogs etc are kennelled outside, and you are saying it is cruel that these dogs have a wonderful life working all day, doing the job for which they were bred, then sleep in a shelter outside. Take a look at these dogs see how happy they are, compare them to mrs. nicey's fat 4 young collie or lab who sleeps by the fire day and night, i know which dog is happiest.

20. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

She'll need mine to, and that of all the farms surrounding me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice