Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If you have time

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ragdollady, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Ragdollady

Ragdollady PetForums Junior

As I’m home a lot because of the current situation, I remembered something so thought to ask here. Please reply if you guys are as free as me these days lol. So as some of you might know that I have a growling 10 weeks old ragdoll. She’s loving and a cutie but growls a lot. Her name is Luna. So now to the question, when my husband surprised me that he’d seen an add and we were going to see the kittens. I was very excited and when we went to see them I was ecstatic as you can imagine. So there were five of the tiny kittens and I was playing with them and trying to choose which one I was going to choose. There were 5 other cats, one mother ragdoll one father flampoint ragdoll one Bangal one maincoon and maincoon’s daughter whose daddy was also Luna’s daddy. They also had two dogs. Anyways extra information. So coming to the point, while I was sitting on the floor playing with the kittens, I heard really loud growling and felt sharp pain in my back. I thought one of the dogs attacked me but turns out it was Luna’s daddy. It was an unprovoked attack unless I’m missing something. I had blood coming out of the scratch marks and had to apply the disinfectant. So do you think that’s why Luna growls. Does it mean she’ll have behaviour problems

2. Ragdollady

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Ragdollady - my late sister used to have Ragdolls and I have friends who have them too. I have never heard of growling a lot being a particular feature of the breed's behaviour.

If there were 5 adult cats, 5 kittens and 2 dogs all in the same room at the breeders while you were playing with the kittens, it sounds like it could be quite stressful for the cats, with two complete strangers in the room too (you and your husband i.e. ). I should think Luna's dad may have attacked you because he was protecting the kittens.He may have thought you would take them away. Even male cats can be protective to kittens if they regard them as members of their family.

I doubt Luna's growling is anything to do with her dad's behaviour that day when you visited. . If Luna is not growling in pain and the growling is not connected with her eating her food, then I would accept the growling as a little quirk of hers. It is possible she will grow out of it as she becomes an adult. One of my girls used to growl a lot as a kitten, but rarely does it now (she is aged 7 now). My cat's growling was done mainly to warn the other cats or the humans to respect her personal space.

moomoowawa likes this.
  4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Entire males can be unpredictable and rough, most breeders don't have them roaming free around entire girls and kittens or visitors, which could easily overstimulate them.

Some lines of Raggies have dreadful temperaments, known for being stroppy. Going to a reputable breeder of any breed is always best instead of a byb.
    Hopefully she'll outgrow her behaviour.

Rufus15, chillminx and OrientalSlave like this.
  5. Ragdollady

Thnk you so much guys for your replies. My initial thoughts were the same that he might’ve thought I was a danger to the kittens. It was a stud cat so not docile like the neutered ones. Thank you for putting my mind at ease

6. tamm

tamm PetForums Newbie

No, shes very very young, should not have left mum until 12/13 weeks. Just love her loads, cuddles, gentle strokes, start now gently brushing her if you have not already done so ~ grooming creates bonding. Start off with a very light brush to get her used to the sensation, a baby brush would do. After grooming, cuddles and treats. Tiny pieces of chicken - so she associates you with bonding, loving and food. All very important as you have taken over from mum

Have you a photo of her? Our Ragdoll is a little girl too

Ragdolls are normally very placid easy going cats. However male cats of any breed kept intact for breeding do have a lot of hormones running around and can be sharper than say a neutered male

Once she reaches 16 weeks book her in spaying.

have you mentioned the growling to your vet? Some cats are just more vocal than others

This is Evie our little Ragdoll

Attached Files:

7. Ragdollady

awww Evie is gorgeous. Luna is my baby. She was so tiny when we got her and I know she wasn’t ready but the breeder was adamant on getting rid of her as they didn’t have much space and had a lot of cats and dogs. Luna’s all siblings were taken the same day as her.
    The moment she got home she just stayed with me, every night she sleeps on my pillow, waits for me outside the toilet, meows constantly when I’m in the kitchen cooking. Finds me in the house and jumps on me, she licks my hair and forehead BUT every time she’s doing all those adorable loving things she’s growling too. It’s so weird but like @chillminx said she’s a bit quirky and vocal may be. She never really bites me but does attack a lot. Sometimes she hides under my soft and tries to play with my foot. We do a lot of bonding stuff like playing games, petting, me feeding her an mashing up her food etc. It’s just that I have four other older cats and none of them ever growled unless they were angry so it’s a bit weird. Luna is now 12 weeks I think but I’m losing track of time these days lol attaching her pics

Child picture deleted.

Attached Files:

#7 Ragdollady, Apr 2, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2020 at 4:00 PM
  8. Ragdollady

Child picture?

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

There was a photo of a toddler amongst the very cute kitten pictures.

10. Ragdollady

Ohhhh so sorry ... didn’t realise

SusieRainbow likes this.
  11. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

We strongly advise against pictures of children as this is a public forum, and you just don't know who's lurking. It's a safe-guarding precaution really.

12. Ragdollady

I must’ve uploaded by mistake

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice