Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If you have Covid-19 or think you might, please post here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lorilu, Mar 18, 2020.

1. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

In the long Covid-19 thread a few people have been reporting illness. I thought we should have a thread for people who are ill with the virus, or think they might be, for shared information, experiences and support.

Perhaps include a general location.

I (Northeast US) called our local hotline this morning to report my symptoms and am waiting for a call back from a nurse. I will not be going out. There is no testing available here yet. It's hard not to feel scared and alone, I have GAD anyway and hope that is all my symptoms are, but I am home for good.

My symptom is an odd tickle deep in my lungs on the right side. And a slight headache which only just started.

@ZoeM @PawsOnMe @DolomiTTe

#1 lorilu, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Lurcherlad and cheekyscrip like this.
  2. Billbailey

Billbailey Banned

I've woken up with a cough and a high temperature. So I'm on lockdown. It may be just a cold cos it is that time of year but we shall see. I phoned 111 and got the recorded message about treating the symptoms until it gets really bad. if/when it does.

lorilu likes this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

@lorilu has allergy season started up there yet?
    We've woken up to pollen dusting everything for about a week now, which I'm sure is going to complicate things as people try to figure out if they have seasonal allergies or a virus....

Calvine and lullabydream like this.
  4. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I'm thinking mine will be a combination of allergies (I get mild hayfever and have had a tickly nose and sinus pain for a few weeks now) and a cold.

But my symptoms are earache (weird watery feeling in my ears), dizziness/vertigo, swollen glands, sore swollen throat, fatigue in all my muscles and just feeling exhausted whenever I try talking or moving, headache, and feeling hot and then cold.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've spoken to the nurse. It is her opinion that I am likely still suffering from the cold that started last Friday (or a new one, I told about the disgusting bank teller in another thread), but she also assured me (when I apologized) that I am not wasting resources by calling, everyone should call if they have doubts. I am feeling sicker than I was earlier, but not with the Covid symptoms: no shortness of breath, cough or fever, so just staying in bed and drinking fluids.

I told her I keep going downstairs and coming back up again to see if it makes me short of breath. So far, no.

If I develop those symptoms I am to call the ER in advance and then go there.

I've been sick a lot this winter and I think much of it has to do with this awful mold and mildew in the apartment, and stress. I have had a lot of stress. I mean I do everything right, eat well, wash my hands, get plenty of fresh air and exercise, and I still seem to come down with every little thing going around.

I don't think I am at risk right now for Covid 19, I think I am just so vulnerable to every dam bug or cold that lazy people spread around I just can't get out from under.

I am actually starting to feel like I have the flu again. My head is buzzing and I still have the tickle in my chest and feel like clearing my throat a lot. But no cough, shortness of breath or fever. So back under the covers I go, and hope for the best.

I am used to being alone and solitary but it can get a bit scary when I'm ill, especially now that I am getting up onto that senior age bracket. (I'll be 60 soon)

MilleD and lullabydream like this.
  6. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Hope after a bit of rest you soon start feeling better. X

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Still winter here. We don't see pollen until May. :) But yes, it presents the same issues. Is it a cold? Flu? Allergies? Anxiety?

O2.0 likes this.
  8. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

That is a very good idea.

Get well soon folks!!!

Get immune!
    Our pf best vibes sent.,,

lorilu likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

And move to your new house soon Lorilu where you won’t have damp and mould hopefully :)

lorilu likes this.
  10. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Started being sick in the night and its still ongoing. Apparently that can be one of the early symptoms.

Typical of me to get that with my phobia of being sick :( I feel absolutely dreadful :(

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Hope it's just a sickness bug or something you ate.
    Look after yourself

12. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Bless you, are you OK?
    I have someone I know who seems to have symptoms. Have told her to self isolate, she's got learning difficulties so doesn't quite get things. She's been sick too. I thought it might be from coughing.. Although it's hard to really 'get' her symptoms as you have to be careful not to put words in her mouth so to speak but she has volunteered coughing, vomiting, temperature and sore throat.
    Spoke to her last night she's had symptoms for a week. Not well enough to go out and she sounds poorly. But at least she is being sensible for once.

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thank you everyone for posting here. I think some will find it very helpful. It illustrates how varied and sometimes subtle the symptoms can be, and hopefully maybe can reduce fear to be hearing from real people having the virus but managing it. With her permission I've brought over a post from the other thread by ZoeM because I think it adds to this thread.

Regarding the throat clearing I did have that in abundance for a few days. It's mostly gone now, I find I am only doing it if I actually think about it, but that tickle in my lungs is still there. I am not breathless but I am so tired feeding the cats is an effort.

I worry about my older sister. Alone like me, still working in retail (as of yesterday). She is 64, heavy smoker, alcoholic. I would call her highly vulnerable, if she should become infected. Our state has set up easy ways to apply for unemployment and healthcare if someone loses their job but I don't know if she will actually do it when, inevitably, the store owner decides to close the doors. I live far away from her but will try to guide her in those things when she needs them. She can be a bit ...'don't tell me what to do" herself. Not about government edicts, but when loved ones try to help her. She's one of those people who hates to ask for help. So I worry about her. I can't tell her that though or I'd never hear from her again.

#13 lorilu, Mar 19, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    ZoeM likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I know that the onset of symptoms after exposure can be 4-14 days. But I can't seem to find out how long a person is contagious. I am not very good at using the right search terms I guess. Anyone know?

Like has been said, only the severe cases are actually being tested, so many people will have it without realizing it, because their case will be mild. And those cases will never be counted. That's why it is so so important to isolate. Everyone. (with the exception of essential personnel of course, and thank heavens for them all)

ZoeM likes this.
  15. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

I'm on the last day of self isolation (with my husband). I think we've had Coronavis, but can't be 100% sure as we couldn't get tested. Started with hot/cold sweats at around 6pm, followed by more the next day. A dry cough started to develop during that day, along with a banging headache. Felt quite worried when I was short of breath with chest pains a few times, but this only lasted a couple of days. Feel absolutely fine now, although the cough is lingering, but I believe it can take a few weeks to go. I'm based in Darwen, Lancashire.

lorilu, rona, Cully and 1 other person like this.
  16. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm not sure it's actually known empirically is it?

I'm happy to be corrected.

lorilu likes this.
  17. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I feel awful but I'm okay and managing. Just so exhausted. Hope your friend will be okay and keeps self isolating. X

lorilu and lullabydream like this.
  18. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed you've really had it. It's so frustrating not knowing for sure, but so glad you're ok.

DolomiTTe likes this.
  19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

The past week I've had a very lightheaded 'fuzzy' kind of unfocused sensation in my head which has cleared the last two days. Tightness in my chest, feeling very hot/flushed throughout the day ( again cleared the last two days) aches and pains, and especially around my chest area. Today I had some diarrhea but that was the first occasion over the week. Phoned the doctor a few days ago fearing the symptoms were related to other conditions ( my health anxiety has me believe any chest pain is a heart attack ) and the doctor seemed convinced it wasn't CV. Saw her in person today and all my vitals are good do gas been written off as a prolonged anxiety attack :( so I've had full bloods taken anyway and left with a prescription for anti anxiety meds.

I've had no cough or sore throat.

20. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Those were my symptoms for last week except no diarrhoea, it always got worse at night and felt like I was constantly on the verge of coming down with a cold. If you're not already you should see about self isolating.

Hope your anti anxiety meds help you, must be so hard with health anxiety with all this going on!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice