Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

If You Have A Dog!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by may, Dec 7, 2007.


  1. may

    may PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1,413
    Likes Received:
    47
    If you don't have a dog, please pass along to friends who do.

    Written by:
    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic
    Danville , Ohio

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
    MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half
    a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He
    started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the
    owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
    but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject We had her bring the dog in
    immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
    doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we
    contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison ControlCenter and they said to give I V
    fluids at 1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next
    48-72 hours.

    The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
    than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
    monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and
    started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and
    creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the
    point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a
    urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight
    care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
    continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He
    was on 3 different anti-vomiting medicat ions a ND they still couldn't
    control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over
    120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood
    pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued
    to vomit and the owners elected to euthanize.

    This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
    could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
    serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
    toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats

    This has been posted from another forum.
     
  2. colliemerles

    colliemerles PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    39,167
    Likes Received:
    2,572
    we have talked about this on another dog site i go on, its shocking how many people didnt know how dangerous rasins and chocolate are to dogs, :(:(
     
  3. Vixie

    Vixie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Messages:
    18,554
    Likes Received:
    270
    I knew about chocolate but not raisins, my children love them and the dogs always try to get some, I'll make sure that never happens now, such a sad case
     
  4. carol

    carol PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    6,358
    Likes Received:
    105
    ay dogs like them but they are only have a few and yes i do know and chocolate too.they dont get that one tiny bit at xmas if lucky, but when sprinkle was younger he nicked the whole bowl full well he got cast iron gut had no afect on him .
    the autumn he loves all the fruit about goes off scumping.
    his ate things over the years you though he would of died the amount of fruit and that he'd have the runs but no nothing he even ate soap and nothing,
    the others are the same all got cast iron guts, i make them like it give them alsorts of things as treats to harden the guts up and its worked well over the years for me.

    mind you they are dallies if they can eat it they will lol
     
  5. Eolabeo

    Eolabeo Guest

    Same as me carol, i treat mine and give them allsorts of diffent bits to eat so it hardens their guts, i can truly say i have no probs with them having the runs, The farts is a diffent matter lol.

    One of my dogs stole some of my grapes a little wile back, i didnt know they was toxic, i mentioned it on this site wile talking about her, someone replyed about the grapes being poison which was a shock so i never leave em on my chair wile i pop into the kitchen ect now.

    As for raisins :eek: thats a new one, ill remember that one in future because my gambian pouch rat has them.
     
  6. Jenny Olley

    Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1,963
    Likes Received:
    448
    I read somewhere its 2 grapes per kilo of body weight, obviously dried fruit is a worry at christmas with mince pies and fruit cake.
     
  7. Eolabeo

    Eolabeo Guest

    I read u can treat your dog to the odd apple aslongas you take out the pips and middle which i heard can be poison.
     
  8. carol

    carol PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    6,358
    Likes Received:
    105
    i give them the lot loe core and all they seem not bothered
    they even like orange's and in the summer go mad for cold melon
     
  9. Vixie

    Vixie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2007
    Messages:
    18,554
    Likes Received:
    270
    mine are the same, no ill effects ither mine like all kinds of fruit
    they dont get it too often but as a treat they love it
     
  10. Jenny Olley

    Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1,963
    Likes Received:
    448
    I too have heard about apple cores, however I know of lots of dogs who eat all the apple, and dogs who eat massive amounts of windfalls when there is an apple tree in the garden, to my knowledge with no ill effects, but I too would be interested if anyone has any definate info.
     
  11. kimlovesbarney

    kimlovesbarney PetForums Newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2007
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    OMG i cant believe that my little dog loves grapes he plays with them for about 20mins n then eats them! Is it like chocolate were the toxins builds up? He wont be havin anymore grapes! Also my mum sed pork was bad for him, is this true and y?
    thanks and best wishes Kim
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice