Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If you go to all the trouble to scoop a poop

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SeaThreePeeO, Jul 15, 2009.

1. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

Why then hang it from the nearest tree, dump it on the pavement or chuck it in a bush?

This morning whilst doing our usual morning walk to the shops for the paper etc, I noticed some dog poop in a rather fetching blue nappy sack adoring a tree. I have also come across bagged up poop dropped on the pavements and thrown into hedges and bushes. I myself cannot understand the logic behind picking up your dog's mess if you're simply going to dump it.

Fair enough, along the route we take dog bins and few and far between, but then why not take it home with you? I have a 'special' carrier bag to place my bagged up poop in to take home with me if no bin is provided or available. I do this even when I have my toddler in her pushchair with me.

It makes me wonder if the people that do this would also dump a dirty nappy in the hedgerow rather then take it home with them.

Odd, but then, am I?

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i know what you mean. me being the responsible owner that i am i always carry the poop bag until i either find a bin or i take it home and dump it in ours.

Our park in th whole park has only like, one poop bin in the whole park which is so stupid. But anyway, upon walks i find the odd bags of poop just sitting there, as if someone can't be bothered to actually take the bag and dump it in their own bin. Like why? Why have a dog, if you're not going to be responsible - sure its inconvenient carrying a smelly bag with you till you find a bin, or until you get home.

3. 3 red dogs

3 red dogs PetForums VIP

Gvotta agree with this, its like the Hanging Gardens of Babylon round here!!
    Or maybe the boffins at Q Gardens have come up with 'Nappy Bag Tree' (Latin Name Poopus Eruptitcus Horizontalis)
    Some peoples brains work different i think!!

SeaThreePeeO likes this.
  4. SeaThreePeeO

LOL :smilewinkgrin: I like it

I am glad to know that I am not considered crazy in thinking it odd not to take your dog's poop home.

5. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I've heard some people say they're "too embarrassed" to be seen carrying a poop bag.
    If they're that worried couldn't they just put it in another bag?

6. SeaThreePeeO

I would be more embarrassed to be seen not picking up after my dog or flinging the bag in to someones hedge then to be seen carrying a bag of poop.

As you said they can always put it in another bag.

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

yep its very very annoying!

Ive only done it once :eek: i put it down to pick up on my way back from our ring around the woods and totally forgot to pick it up as we met a dog friend. I did go back later when i remember to see if it was there but it had gone.
    felt guilty for leaving it there!

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

it is embarrasing - but its part of being a responsible dog owner lol!

9. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

My brother reckons carrying a full poo bag helps to change people's perception of him and his dog- he's an irish staff x american bulldog and people's first thought is that he and my brother are thugs- when he's carrying a poo bag he's seen as a responsible owner! unfortunately his dog has got wise to this and now poos within a few feet of a bin so he doesn't have to carry it around :D

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I don't understand it either I always scoop it up and then throw it in a bin afterwards.

11. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I'm with you on this. Some inconsiderate "bleep" person keeps dumping their poo bags in the drain outside our house, and doesn't even bother to tie them up. They subsequently get driven over and squished in the holes (without going down). I then have to pick it up (YUK!) and put it in the bin.
    Incidentally there is a public bin about 20ft away!!! Grrrr!!! :cursing:
    If I ever catch whoever is doing it, I will give them SUCH a piece of my mind!!

12. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I don't get this either. It's totally disgusting. It's only something I've noticed relatively recently too, who on earth started this bizzaro craze and why?!

Speaking of poo bags and embarrassment, my old dog used to have some toileting troubles which meant diarrhea and also straining 'without success' as it were. On one occasion when she was doing this on the street a non dog friendly neighbours car went by- I knew that it wasn't likely I would get to stop to explain to them that she hadn't actually done anything, so I feigned that I was picking up poop with the bag. Then completely forgetting I was faking the whole thing proceeded to happily put the bag back in my pocket. They must have thought I was the biggest freak.

13. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I don't understand it either :confused: Although I must say don't see much of it in my neck of the woods.

Harvey always poops within a few metres of the doggie bin on his morning walk :D But I'm not embarrassed to carry a ppop bag about, it just shows I'm a responsible dog owner - one of my pet hates is dog mess on the pavement! :mad:

14. SeaThreePeeO

The one and only time I have not picked up after my dog is in our own back garden. When we moved into our old place we had trouble with local kids/little yobs coming into our back garden and playing on the girl's play equipment when we were out. They would scale the 6ft fence using our neighbours bin :eek:

So for a few weeks I didn't pick up a single poop hoping that they would tread in it and then walk it in their parent's carpets. They soon stopped coming in the garden. However I collected 2 carrier bags worth of poop afterwards.

15. Poopsta

Poopsta PetForums Newbie

First off. A big apology. I've registered on the forum with the genuine intention of participating with non-commercial posts. But have failed miserably with my first two posts!

Poop scooping has become a bit of an obsession so I can't resist homing in on any threads on the subject!

Alot of dog owners we speak to don't like carrying either. Especially when they have to deal with multiple poops in one walk. Or maybe they are walking more than one dog.

And when you get to an elusive bin it's already full.

That's why we're shipping the Poopsta (scoops multiple poops) with a free easy-clip shoulder strap - which I actually find more comfortable worn around the belt. It has a velcro feature that means you can attach it easily to a retractable lead. Although waist would be my choice.

Cheers,

Richard

16. My-Terriers

My-Terriers PetForums Member

This gets on my nerves something rotten, I've even seen them thrown right up into the trees, literally 20ft up! What is the point?? Fair enough some bags are biodegradable (I use these) but it still takes over 2 yrs to waste away, just throw them in the bin!!
    I often see people hangin them on fences in the park, but then picking them up on their way back past - why cant everyone do that?!

17. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

Ok - looking at the video, it looks OK..... quite handy for sqeamish ppl .... but it doesn't look very big! My dog does bigger poos than that. So here's some market research for you, for what it's worth ... make em in bigger sizes! ;)

Plus... Not sure about the "easy-clip shoulder strap"... it's a small box full of unholy dog-egg, not a blimmin fashion accessory... I think I'd be happier just carrying it than wearin the thing lol

#17 lady_r0gue, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  18. Poopsta

Poopsta PetForums Newbie

Hi lady r0gue,

Really appreciate the feedback.

Of course - you're right about the size. The majority of dog owners who have tested it so far tell us we have got it just right. But if one occasionally tells us it's too small, another dog owner will tell us it's too big! This launch version pitches in the middle and should be perfect for the large majority of dogs. We'll monitor demand and introduce other sizes as required.

You can actually use the sides of the Poopsta (whilst in the bag) to effectively slice through the bigger poops if you need to. And there's another simple technique where you can scoop a big poop with a Poopsta so it effectively stands on end before you push.

Dog owners have also consitently told us that they have enough things to carry - hence the shoulder strap. It's there to use (or not) at your discretion. Different strokes for different folks!

Thanks again,

Richard

19. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I occasionally leave my bagged poop at the side of the road, but only to collect it on the way back!
    Once you get halfway through the village there are no bins. If they go out of the village, all dogs will back right up into the hedge etc but if one did it on the road I would pick it up.

x

20. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

For some reason the poo bin on our local park disappeared one day. Dog owners carried on neatly piling up the poo bags on the exact spot where the poo bin had been situated, till there was a huge yucky mountain. It did the trick though, the poo bin returned! I do wish there were more poo bins, I take the stuff home with me and then sometimes forget it's there and find bags of mummified poo. Horrid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice