Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If you could give some advice to your younger self / yourself

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Purplecatlover, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

What would it be?

I’m really struggling with my thoughts & having no one at all around/no one to talk to is really taking its toll. Trying to use my positive coping skills but I’ve slipped up a few times so I thought this would be nice

if you could give some advice to your younger self/ yourself, what would it be?

Whompingwillow and lorilu like this.
  2. Chaddycat

Chaddycat PetForums Senior

You are not fat!

3. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

Stay away from every boyfriend I ever had and just go straight to mad cat lady!!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Never to take my vigour, strength and good health for granted, [because none of it lasts forever) ;)

5. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Live your life as it happens, try to take the best of everything that occurs.

6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Every problem has a solution and everything works out in the end.

7. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Remind myself that it's OK not to be perfect !

Oh yes, and get a job working with animals - they don't let you down and just love you for who you are unreservedly :)

TriTri, chillminx, ebonycat and 4 others like this.
  8. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

stop worrying over things that are out of your control

cheekyscrip, TriTri, ebonycat and 4 others like this.
  9. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Also just remembered that when I was caring for my Mum (she had Alzheimer's and it was a very worrying and trying time and I often slept badly with everything going round in head) my mantra at bedtime became

"Give your worries to God he's going to be up all night anyway"

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

You are not fat
    Stop drinking so much
    Avoid 'bad boys'
    Make some plans for the future
    Take up running

Mistys Mum, TriTri, ebonycat and 4 others like this.
  11. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

[QUOTE="Bertie'sMum, post: 1065696559, member: 1453521"

"Give your worries to God he's going to be up all night anyway"[/QUOTE]

@bertiesmum that is brilliant

12. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

This is slightly off the topic you are asking about but just wondered if it might help you at all.
    Do you have a social prescriber in your area? We have one down here, she works alongside the doctor and signposts people to groups / help for social needs. I just wonder whether they could put you in touch with some groups or a befriending service so you could perhaps have video calls or phone calls to help you feel a bit less lonely.
    I am in touch with her through my work and would happily ask her if she could suggest anyone in your area if you would like me to.
    I hope you don’t mind me suggesting this but I know it has really helped a lot of people down here who are struggling with social isolation.

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You know I'd be tempted to say this too, except...with every relationship we have, we learn and grow. We might not always recognize the lesson, but it's there. xx

Mistys Mum, Xnonny, TriTri and 3 others like this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I would have told my younger self to get an education and a degree. Of course my mother told me that and I didn't listen. In lieu of higher education, I would have told myself to take that government job at 26, because then you could retire at 56 and do something fun. But at 26 I didn't want an "office job", I was still winging it and enjoying my "freedom" and now I'm 60, exhausted, and while I now have that government job, (7 1/2 years) even after I retire in 5 years I will still have to work, I will always have to work.

15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

16. Purplecatlover

hi I’m not sure. Just before lockdown my therapist got me “prescribed gym access but then lockdown hit. The only person at the moment I’m under is my care coordinator that rings me once a week. I am seeing her on Thursday instead as things haven’t been good. I can ask her on Thursday if there’s anything she can do via a social prescriber Thankyou!!! Means a lot for your help & advice :):):)

17. Purplecatlover

All this advice is great, I’m waiting on some photos to make a “lockdown scrapbook” and I’m gonna add them into that (if that’s ok of course) to always remind me

18. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Where I live, the Council has been running a volunteer group all through the crisis to do things like shopping, keeping in touch with folks who are on their own and lots of other things. There are so many people out there who want to help others, particularly at the moment.

I joined a Covid-19 Community Support Group for our area back in March and it has proved such a help for so many people. There is someone out there who can help with absolutely anything, whether its something as simple as having your windows cleaned or for people who just want to have a rant about something or add cheery messages just to help people who are lonely or suffering, its been so brilliant. You could see if there is something like that in your area and, you never know, you might be able to help someone else with a problem.

19. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Excellent, my last chemo left me housebound for a week and I know how my mental health has suffered for not going out or seeing people to chat to - and I live with my hubby and have had phone calls and chats with a few people, so I can imagine how tough it must be for you.
    I hope she can give you some advice and make some suggestions.
    Do you think it’s worth writing a few things down before Thursday in case you find your appointment overwhelming? I know my brain goes to cheese a bit and often wish I’d remembered to say things!

20. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

This was something else I was going to suggest. Through the last lockdown I was one of those on the end of the phone although I was passing details on to the volunteer coordinators rather than actually dealing with advice etc. However I know that for some people having their prescription or shopping dropped outside and a socially distanced chat with the volunteer was a real lifeline.
    It may be worth having a look on your local council’s website too, they may have a list of places to get help. I can pm you a link to the national help section I pulled together if you would like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice