Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If/when to change pup's diet.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Bex190, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Hi, I pick up my Vizsla pup Otto on July 18th and have a couple of quieries about his diet.
    Otto's breeder is bringing him up on Vitalin Puppy Plus. I had been planning to switch him onto either Burns or Arden Grange but wanted to check if you thought this was necessary as I haven't really heard much about Vitalin either good or bad.
    If I do switch his food, how long should I keep him on the Vitalin while he settles in before I start to change his food over?

Thank you for any help.

2. Opheliac

Opheliac PetForums Member

#2 Opheliac, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  3. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

If I were you, regardless of the quality of the food, I would keep him on the diet he is used to for a month before starting to gradually change him over to your chosen brand, give him time to settle in before doing anything as drastic as a food change or you will just upset his tummy & end up with a dog with a sensitive digestive system! Hope that helps x

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Now I have heard of Vitalin and I do know some of the rescues use this food so it can't be that bad. Keep your pup on it for the time being and see how it goes maybe change to something esle around the 6 month mark.

5. My other half used to feed a mixture of vitalin and tripe to his working dogs years ago! It always looked like rabbit food to me and not one that I would consider! HOWEVER, you really need to let your dog settle in before you start adjusting his diet!

Arden Grange dry and nature diet vet are both great foods!
    look forward to seeing pictures of your dog!!!
    regards
    DT

6. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Thank you for all the replies and advice. I will get plenty of Vitalin in for him for now and will reassess the situation when I've had him for about a month. The only photos I have of him so far are from his breeder so I will have to get his permission to post them. I can however promise that you will be sick of the sight of him when he arrives as I plan to get very snap happy!

7. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I bet you can't wait until you get your new pup. I am picking up my little pug girl on the 18th July too - she will be 8 weeks! I am going to stick to the food the breeder is giving and see how it goes. :) Keep us posted with how you get on.

8. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Hi Cuddypuppy!
    Don't you wish you had a time acceleration machine?! I think I've got everything I'll need for Otto now so I'm going to lock my credit card away. I've only ever had dogs from about 2 years of age before so the experience of having a puppy is going to be new for me and there is a very strong probability that he will be spoilt rotten as a result!:D

I look forward to swapping puppy pics and settling in stories with you.

9. Cuddypuppy

I can't believe how the time is going soooooooo slowly! Roll on the 18th!:)

10. Get yuorself a ticker installed Cuddlypuppy!!! That way there can be no confusion!:D:D what breed are yuo getting btw?
    DT

11. Cuddypuppy

I am getting a black pug girl - she will be called Nelly. I will look at adding a ticker later!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice