UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They tell you a long explanation/story about what's bothering them, and you actually find you disagree with their slant on the issue.
Do you water down your answer, tell them what they want to hear, make excuses not to answer or give your truthful opinion?

Me, I tell them what I think no matter what. I may try to fit in a bit of humour to soften the blow a bit, but quite brutal really :eek:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
They tell you a long explanation/story about what's bothering them, and you actually find you disagree with their slant on the issue.
Do you water down your answer, tell them what they want to hear, make excuses not to answer or give your truthful opinion?

Me, I tell them what I think no matter what. I may try to fit in a bit of humour to soften the blow a bit, but quite brutal really :eek:
Yep, Me too :blink:

·
Registered
195 Posts
It does annoy me when someone asks for your opinion/advice then gets all huffy and hurt because its not what they wanted to hear! Had this today on a FB group, someone saying they were thinking of getting a bitch so they could mate their male and asked what we thought - we all said don't do it and she got all stroppy and woe is me!

·
Still missing my boys
42,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does annoy me when someone asks for your opinion/advice then gets all huffy and hurt because its not what they wanted to hear! Had this today on a FB group, someone saying they were thinking of getting a bitch so they could mate their male and asked what we thought - we all said don't do it and she got all stroppy and woe is me!
I was thinking more of the real world when you are actually face to face with a person.
Easy to give an opinion when you are faceless :)

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I think I tone it down, I give my opinion but try really hard to do it in a way that it doesn't hurt them...Well most of the time anyways

G

·
I am honest, and often brutal. I see red when people come on and they are clearly neglecting/ignoring major problems and they seem a bit proud/amused/uncaring of what they are doing. People complaining because their puppy is behaving like a puppy. There is an easy answer. Get a well chosen rescue dog, but no... They HAD to have a puppy. Whatever the advice given, that is ignored, then the complaints, and sometimes, dumped in rescue. Puts me in meltdown.

There are times, when people are doing things many deplore, seem to be under the impression that it is a matter of opinion, right or wrong, that there is no right/wrong answer.

·
Banned
3,086 Posts
If someone asks my opinion (in person) and I disagree with their take on a situation etc, I ask 'do you really want my opinion?' before I offer it.

If they say yes then I'm honest. Totally honest. I can't lie. Never have been able to.

On a forum, people posting is an invitation for opinions. So IMHO there's no need to ask if they want opinions; they obviously do, otherwise they wouldn't post ;)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
depends on the circumstances to be honest, if its someones own stupid fault and fall out only effects them then I would probably be blunter, but if there is other people involved or animals that could innocently come to grief or get caught in the fall out by what the person does then I will try to soften and guide more.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Depends.

If it's a friend or face to face then I'd challenge what they are saying but I wouldn't be brutal about it. You don't need a sledgehammer to crack nuts!!

Hubby, or family, then yes I'm probably quite direct.

On here? Well, 1. You rarely get the full story, so it's not easy to have a black and white difference of opinion, 2. Theres usually 10 other people being 'brutal', adding to it just turns into a mob if not careful. There are obviously exceptions where people or animals are at risk (or I'm in a bad mood!! :eek:).

Generally I find 1. I don't know everything and my opinion is just that, 2. Someone s less likely to listen if they're preached at.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I just asked hubby his opinion of what I am like and he told me I'm brutal :eek: :glare:

I don't think sugar coating things does people any good but I didnt think I was quite as brutal as he implied :eek:

Although saying that he went to the shop with my brother a few weeks ago leaving me with his 'woe is me' wife (That woe is me [email protected] doesn't wash with me ;)) and when they came back she stood up silently, grabbed her bag and walked off and sat in her car and the first thing hubby said was "I can't leave you alone for 5 minutes can I" :blink: I thought what we had was a healthy debate regarding her two faced spitefulness :p

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I think I tone it down, I give my opinion but try really hard to do it in a way that it doesn't hurt them...Well most of the time anyways
That's exactly like me! Sometimes I think 'straight talking' and 'blunt and honest' are euphemisms for rude. People tend to think they are right in what they are thinking and are really looking for reassurance. If you think they are wrong and you are too blunt you will just get their backs up and they will go on the defensive!

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I face this everyday in my job, patients with no insight believing that they are being held in hospital illegally as 'there is nothing wrong with them' Its my job to gently explain 'actually you are quite unwell and you need help' - not easy!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.