Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If Not a Ruptured Cruciate Ligament Then What?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cleo38, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Toby is very lame at the moment, it came on suddenly when we were out for our walk the other day. He had a cruciate op (TPLO) on his left leg in March but this time it is his right leg that has gone.

When he was initially x-rayed at the time of his cruciate op it was found that he did have hip dysplasia in his right hip but not severe. The surgeon at the time said that this could just be managed & would not in his opinion require surgery.

When I took Toby in to the vets for the problem with his right leg they seemed to think it was related to his hip dysplasia & have ruled out a ruptured cruciate ligament in the affected leg but on reflection I am not convinced.

The onset of the injury was instant, not something that became worse over several days. If there is no indication it is a ruptured cruciate (I know they can check the way the leg moves to confirm this) then what else could it be? I am convinced he has ruptured something due to the severity & the fact that even several days later there has been no improvement.

I am taking him back on Monday as I want a re-examination & to discuss my concerns but just wondered if there was any suggestions as to what else this could be. Reading up on ruptures it does sound like meniscal tear (there is a slight poppiong noise when he walks) but I am no experience of these sort iof injuries so may be talking rubbish.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

The popping is almost certainly a very bad cruciate rupture :(

3. rona

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I shouldn't keep looking at what it 'might' be as I suppose there are so many things. I'm going to speak to the vet again first thing on Monday.

After checking him further it definitely feels like his hip is clicking (& making the nosie) when he walks. His leg is hanging completely differently from when he ruptured his cruciate although having limited experience of this I'm not sure if this injury could present itself in various ways.

I just wish I could do something more to help him :(

5. rona

I've no experience of Hip problems, so no idea about clicking with that.

My vet just told me if Alfie was clicking it was definitely Cruciate, so just assumed that was the only click you get in a back leg :confused:

6. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Luxating Patella? the outward symptoms are very similar - they can test through manipulation whether it is a cruciate.

I'm no vet obviously, but that's what my money would be on.

7. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I have no idea, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry that he is unwell again, poor chap :(

8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's what I thought & have been told. I remember when he did rupture his cruciate & the movement of diagnosis was described on a clip on Youtube - it fitted perfectly & so I knew almost immediately what the problem was although obviously I had this confirmed.

I did consider a luxating patella so will be questioning the vet further on Monday. I'm starting to panic now & just want him to be ok :(

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

There are both surgical and conservative options available to treat the condition - so don't be too downhearted (I've only just come across this, but it does soun like he's been in the wars :(

You might want to think about adding salmon oil to his diet which helps lubricate the joints - I use Devils claw as a natural painkiller (but always given with food as it can be as harsh on the tummy as NSAIDS).

Boots Jointlieve Devils Claw root extract 600mg - 40 Capsules - Boots

Maybe also consider a bio-flow collar? I was so impressed with the effect on my girl I bought myself a bracelet.

Bioflow-Magnetic dog collar-Only £24.95-Magnetic pet products-Bioflow

10. rona

No good second guessing. Best wait for your results, hard as it is :(

There's not a lot you can do until you know, except make him as comfortable as possible

Listen to me here :rolleyes:
    I'd be the same as you in the same position :eek:

Doesn't help anything though does it? :(

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I've ordered him a collar so am waiting for that, he already has salmon oil capsules but I have also ordered Yumove to go with this & will get some Devils Claw - tbh I will try everything to help him improve

I know, I need to be patient & pull myself together. I just keep thinking the worse & he is in so much pain he will need to be pts. I have been in tears all weekend which isn't helping anyone, drinking a few glasses of wine didn't help last night either. My poor OH has been working away all week & when he finally gets home I'm blubbing :eek:

I have to go back to work tomorrow (I've been off for 2wks) & I will be worrying about him all day. I just don't want him mucking about with Roxy in the garden like he tried to do this morning :rolleyes:

I got a canine massage dvd delivered yesterday so I started doing that ion the afternoon (being careful around his hip/leg area) - he loved it, he was so relaxed .... made me start welling up again though :eek:

12. Netpon

Netpon PetForums Member

Luxating patella tends to pop in and out so the dog is intermittently lame whereas cruciate tears make the dog constantly lame. They can have a partial tear and not be completely lame (not putting any weight on the leg at all) You cannot rule out a cruciate tear without anaesthetising the dog and checking for movement whilst asleep. The vet looks for laxity in the joint which can be masked by the dog tensing up during examination, hence the need for anaesthetic.
    It is quite common for the other cruciate to go once one has gone so there is a chance it could be this. I hope its not though x

13. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

He is constantly lame so this would (probably) rule out luxating patella. He was sedated for his x-rays on Wednesday when they checked the movement in his knee & ruled out a rupture of the cruciate.

It definitely feels like popping & movement in his hip area when he walks. In March the surgeon showed us the x-rays taken then & really wasn't overly concerned & suggested that the HD was mild but arthritis could be an issue in the future but could it really have advanced so quickly & so dramatically?

I supposed I won't know until I can speak to the surgeon again, I just hate waiting& want answers now

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I can understand why you want answers now. It's awful watching our dogs struggle.

Sending you and Toby a big hug.

15. rona

Arthritis is a funny old thing. One dog/person can live with it for years without too much trouble and they slowly get worse, and another gets hit hard in a matter of months :(

16. stevenruizok

stevenruizok PetForums Newbie

My dog clicks but no sign of pain

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Not a comment really relevant or worthy of reviving a thread that's 4 years old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice