Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If Kittens are suckling at 13 weeks

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Milly22, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Misty is in heat again. I have heard that milk can go sour when she is in season but none of my books tell me this...(surprise surprise)!

I am gradually changing kittens from Whiskas to Hilife before they go home, it seemed to be going fine but one kitten had very explosive poos last night and his tummy is still a bit dodgy today.

I have been keeping them from suckling today as much as possible.

Can them feeding from her cause a bowel infection ? I read that somewhere but I am unsure where now. Perhaps I mis-read. It would be horrid if the week they all due to leave they have the squits!!!

#1 Milly22, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

If the kittens are 13 weeks old, Mum won't have much milk anyway, they just comfort suck. I've had queens call feeding young kittens and never had their milk go sour, so I am not sure I hold with that. If you have just changed their food, I would say any botty problems are more due to that than Mums milk.

3. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Fantastic! That's just wanted I wanted to hear. I don't like pulling themoff all the time to be honest. I will perhaps put more Whiskas into the Hi-life mixture.

Why on earth did I change their food this late ? Nevermind.

Thanks again Saikou, you have so much information I am beginning to think you were a feline of sort sort in a previous life!;)

4. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

it could be her milk has gone sour because she is in season and also if i am correct cats are actualy lactose intolorant (spelling is horrid) so that could be another reason.
    Or it could simply be the food change :)

good luck and hope you have the problem resolved soon :)

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

if possible put as little wiskas in as you can as some of the ingredients are a little nasty its possible that they have delicate tummies because you have gone from something that has very little actual meat in it (and if its the wet food has ash and other fillers in it) to something with a lot more meat adn good things

6. sarahberra

sarahberra PetForums Member

I don't think it will cause any harm to allow the kittens to continue nursing. If the milk goes sour that will encourage them to stop feeding and they will wean naturally on thier own.

7. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

lol, I wish I was slim as my siamese and orientals :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice