Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

If anyone knows..

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by HelloKittyHannah, Jan 10, 2012.

1. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

Anyone in the Dorset area looking to rehome a pair of 3 month old sows could you let me know please? :)

The person I got my guinea pigs from initially only had one baby I wanted for sale, and I also had another baby booked from a later litter. For convenience for her and for me, I took on 2 other babies with the first one I bought to keep mine company until the second litter was born and to free up space for her.
    So now fast forward to today and I have both my girls and also the 2 that were never meant to be staying. I toyed with the idea of keeping all 4 because I love all of them to bits, but sadly as they grow it's becoming apparent that my guinea pig domain really is only big enough for the 2. They already take up a large chunk of my living room.

If it comes to it they'll stay here with me (they're at no risk of ending up in rescue or anything like that) and I'll have to split them into 2 separate pairs again and find somewhere for another cage, it just really wouldn't be ideal. So anyway, just thought I'd put the feelers out on here and see if anyone happens to be looking :) Have hunnndreds of pictures that I can send on request :)

2. kat04kt

kat04kt PetForums Member

Hello,

Just wanted to point that, that rehoming them through a rescue is a far better idea then rehoming them yourself.

Reputable rescues go to extraordinary measures to ensure that their guinea pigs are rehomed to suitable owners. They ensure thorough homechecks are carried out to make sure the new owner has the right equipement, food, hay etc and understands the responsibility of taking on two guinea pigs. They also offer them a home for life - which means if the new owners needs to give up the piggies in the future for any reason, the rescue takes them back.

Please go to theguineapigforum.com site. The rescue and rehoming section there is full of contacts and advice on rehoming.

I'd advise strongly against rehoming your guinea pigs yourself, unless you are absolutely certain the person taking them is going to be responsible.

Guinea pigs in rescue's are given the very best of everything and they will be very happy there, getting the right care with lots of other piggies to play with.

Of course there are some 'rogue' rescues (centres that claim to be rescue's when actually they are breeders) however, theguineapigforum can advise on the most reputable rescue's and you can also seek advice from the RSPCA.

HTH
    xx

3. HelloKittyHannah

Thankyou, I know rescues do a fab job, I wasn't looking down on rescues at all :) Just looking down on the type of person I'd look like if I just threw them into rescue now they've served the purpose they were here for! I don't want to burden a rescue at the time of year they'll already be flooded with unwanted "gifts" and personally I'd rather meet the new owners for myself. I've had them advertised on certain sites for a while and have turned a few people down because they haven't wanted indoor pigs or only wanted one of the girls and some because they didn't sound older than 12 the way the emails were worded.

They aren't going to just any old home, I'll keep them as long as I need to :)

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

How old are they?

My sister may take them she's moving middle of jan to her own place and been looking at G.pigs, Can I have some more details and would you keep them till I can get a c&c cage at all?

5. HelloKittyHannah

They are 3 months old :) One is a pink eyed white, short haired and smooth coated with a small crest on her head, the other is black with a tan stripe, also short haired and smooth coated and has got to have the shiniest fur I've ever seen on a guinea pig! Both have been handled daily and rush to get out of the hutch in the morning and climb all over you to get their hay. They then run around the living room for a bit before taking themselves off to bed, funny little things :)

I'm more than happy to keep them as long as you need me to. I'm really in love with them but space just isn't on my side in this house :( If you pm me an email address I can email you lots of pictures :)

6. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

I would also advise taking them to rescue centre to be honest, as they should know what to look for in a new owner, but also fit piggy personality to person.

If it's shiny like you say then they have the satin gene. Not only is this increasing in demand and could attract potential breeders, but it's not the healthiest gene. Satins are quite prone to a variety illnesses and in my experience are typically smaller and weaker. I know there are breeders around trying to breed out this issue but it's not always the case.

7. HelloKittyHannah

She's certainly not a small guinea pig, she's the biggest of the 4!! The pairing she came from was a merino x sheltie, I'm not a breeder so don't know if that would create a satin piggy, but she's very robust.

Again, thanks for the help, but I'm not giving them to a rescue for the reasons stated above.

8. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

It's a shame you are so far away, I'm looking for some girls after my Biscuit died leaving Crumbs on his own :(

9. HelloKittyHannah

Where abouts are you B3rnie? I don't drive but I know people that might be willing to travel to you or maybe half way, depending how far you actually are. It's not a definite but worth asking them. I'll try anything to get these girlies into the perfect home :)

10. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

bernie is in cambridge hun

as for everyone saying she should take the pigs to a rescue, i think you should re read the thread again! she is doing her absolute best to find a good home for these pigs and if no home is found they will remain with her, she is thoroughly vetting any one who shows any interest, and im sure she will take them back if the new owners can no longer keep them

rescues are already over flowing with animals, and if she handed over these 2 perfectly happy, healthy, in no way in any danger or under any risk at all, then that will take up space in a rescue for some poor pig who desperatly needs it, some pig whos life could depend on getting into rescue that very day.

if i ever had to rehome any of my animals (god forbid) i would not hand any over to a rescue, i would home them myself with a VERY strict contract

to the OP though an other option which may help you find them a good home could be to ask a rescue to assist in finding them a home, while they remain with your self and under your care

HelloKittyHannah likes this.
  11. HelloKittyHannah

Thank you! Good to know someone can see my point of view :) I know the people suggesting rescues mean well, but it's not something I'm comfortable doing. I'm not afraid to bombard people with a million questions and I'm not afraid to turn people down if I don't think they'll be the right home for my girls. Putting them in rescue really wouldn't benefit them at all.

Cambridge could possibly be doable. At the moment I'm waiting to hear from LostGirl as to whether her Sister might want them. If she does then assuming when I talk to her everything seems ok and I'm happy with her, then they'll go to her. If LostGirl's Sister doesn't want them or I don't think it'll be in the piggies best interests to go there then I'll PM you B3rnie. I have a family member that travels to Oxford fairly regularly, so I can ask if they'd travel that bit further for me :)

And if neither of those options work out then I'll go the route you've suggested Lil Miss and ask if rescues could keep an ear out for good homes for them :)

12. swatton42

I suggested rescue because they have the experience of re-homing so know what to look for. As far as I'm concered you shouldn't be worried about the stigma attached to asking a taking your animals to rescue as you are doing what is best by that animal. The OP was concerned about space issues so may not be able to have the best sized cage, and going to rescue should remove this issue.

However OP has made it clear the way she wants to go and we were just warning about certain people not being right for adopting their animals. As they have said they have already turned people away that as far as I am concerned is a good sign. Not all people will be honest when it comes to adopting animals and may appear a certain way when actually they are not. If they are asking to bond with another piggy please ask to bring said piggy with them so you can sex and health check first.

I know it's going to sound really b*tchy but if you have any doubts about somebody you can always try and get their name and do a little research. I've done it before about somebody who was showing interest in some animals and it came up that they were actually a BYB.

All we're saying is be careful if you're going to try and re-home yourself, you have to be sure they're going to a good home for your own piece of mind if nothing else.

13. HelloKittyHannah

The first thing I do when people email me is google the email address lol, I like to see what they've been doing, where, why and when! So guess I'm bitchy too :lol:

I appreciate your concern and know you only have the girls welfare at heart. I can assure you they'll only be going to the absolute best home I can find. Of course you can never be 100% certain that the person won't breed them or mistreat them and that is a worry. BUT a homecheck from a rescue wont guarantee that they haven't got guinea pigs stashed at a family members home for the amount of time a homecheck takes. I'd rather talk to the person myself and get my own gut reaction. I'm usually pretty good at picking out people that are hiding something so I always trust my instincts :)

14. swatton42

OK just for the record this was cross-posted, I was typing this before you put your reply up I was just half doing something else at the same time. Don't want it to seem like I'm nagging.

To be fair I didn't mention anything about home checking, all I said was that they've done it plenty of times before so should have a bit of a feel for it, but if you're happy doing it then that's your decision.

I just get a little peeved when some people see going to rescue as a bad thing, having just been reading a thread about it on the dog chat I guess it might have come across that way in what I wrote. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Good to know I'm not the only 'googler'.

15. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

Just to say I have pm'd HelloKittyHannah back, if we can get them here I will be giving them a forever home and I'm pretty certain that anyone that has been here will know I'm a safe bet ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice