UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
is colin doing this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is colin doing this?
he does but hes a puppy so i put him on the floor and tell him no and when hes being calm i pick him up and reward him for being placid

its my big older dog- shes not listeing to me at all, she was just standing there and i tryed to pick her up and she went to bite my face
i know she can hear me because when you *whisper* sit or come or what ever when you havea treat in your hand she comes running in

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
not sure about the circumstances but if its a small dog I would stand up and put it on a leash, a big dog I'd say down and turn my head away to protect my face. If a strange dog was attacking me and went for my face I'm not sure as instinct of survival would be automatic and no one can really say for sure how they would react. I know my own dogs and have been bitten by one of them saying that it was my own fault for breaking up a dog fight funny thing is as soon as both my dogs realized I had been bite by one of them they quit they were more concerned for me than their fight. These two dogs are both gone now but at the time one had cushings and the cancer had progressed very fast and he became very unpredictable thus causing unusual behaviour it was this that made me realize that the time had come. So really it depends on the circumstances as to what one would do in the situation you are talking about....Jill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure about the circumstances but if its a small dog I would stand up and put it on a leash, a big dog I'd say down and turn my head away to protect my face.
i was on the floor bending down you see so couldnt push her down as i was down there with her and you have no idea how close i was to having my nose ripped off.
its upsetting because shes always been a star and i love her to bits. she can do all kinds of tricks and shes very clever but... sigh. lately shes gone mad:(
im not getting rid of her because i couldnt do that and she must only have a few years left in her anyway

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she maybe jealous of the pup? I would just talk to her more and not pick her up for a while
it was before we got the pup even- about the last year- 6 months, i talk to her loads and give her cuddles even though she stinks no matter how much i wash her haha
but shes just.. lost i think :frown:

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
are you sure she is healthy? I know my parents old dog was like that the las year of her life, she had always been great with kids and one day turned snappy it turned out she had cancer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
are you sure she is healthy? I know my parents old dog was like that the las year of her life, she had always been great with kids and one day turned snappy it turned out she had cancer.
iv taken her to the vet a few times of late because iv been worried about her
shes got fat lumps which occour in older neuters dogs according to my vets
but honestly
shes like a 5 year old shes got perfect teeth- very active, perfect hearing and eats like a trooper!

i was upset when i smacked her but i didnt want her biting my face and it was just a natural reaction- which i think people on this site should have recognised rather than having ago- i mean any one who has spoke to me on here before or read my other threads knows i love my pets dearly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old dogs can become very wary and nervous particularly as their eye sight and hearing gradually goes.
They can't understand it like humans.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
iv taken her to the vet a few times of late because iv been worried about her
shes got fat lumps which occour in older neuters dogs according to my vets
but honestly
shes like a 5 year old shes got perfect teeth- very active, perfect hearing and eats like a trooper!

i was upset when i smacked her but i didnt want her biting my face and it was just a natural reaction- which i think people on this site should have recognised rather than having ago- i mean any one who has spoke to me on here before or read my other threads knows i love my pets dearly
I can understand why you worry about her. Would she let you put a muzzle on her? if she would you could always put one on before picking her up, when she dosent go to bite your face praise her, if she does then say no loud that should distract her.

I can understand what you say about people on the site but i think they just read the post and saw red with the way the post was worded and the age of the dog.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
My old dogs turned a little snappy, growly grumpy the last year of their lives. So I changed things that I did to make their last year the best for them, that meant no rough housing, tussling, 1 dogs ears became very sensitive so no more rubbing her ears or she loved her tail to be grabbed and she'd turn around and know that meant play time but her tail got sensitive so we had to change things. As they get older just like us somethings just don't feel the same and are irritating. Puppies can be especially hard on an older dog they move quick and nip and pull so must be monitored when they are with an aging pet....Jill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can understand why you worry about her. Would she let you put a muzzle on her? if she would you could always put one on before picking her up, when she dosent go to bite your face praise her, if she does then say no loud that should distract her.

I can understand what you say about people on the site but i think they just read the post and saw red with the way the post was worded and the age of the dog.
id feel mean muzzling her :( i had to when i first got her and she HATED it.
its not just when i pick her up though its totally random sometimes
i really do think shes coming to the end of her life- ill be devisated when she dies- iv had her since i was 10/11

indeed but i didnt wnt to sugar coat what id done so i just put it plainly as there wa sno point in trying to make it sound not as bad as it was- i mean i hit her at the end of the day
but they should have understood why- it wasnt just because she wasnt listing- i mean when i got her she was a git and it took AGES to get her to listen and i dint hit her then!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Old dogs can become very wary and nervous particularly as their eye sight and hearing gradually goes.
They can't understand it like humans.
her hearing and eyesight is spot on she can hear the treat bag from the bottom of the yard- and if you whisper sit or another command when you have treat in hand she will do it
but you cant always have a treat to hand when you want her to just come in out the kitchen because theres a pan on.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
if its random id sugest write down on a note pad when she does it and what you did to see if you can understand why she does it, their maybe something that triggers it and you dont realise. I know you may feel mean muzzling her but its the safest thing you can do when your going to pick her up so she dosent bite you. i'd sugest another vet visit, it seems odd behaviour.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
her hearing and eyesight is spot on she can hear the treat bag from the bottom of the yard- and if you whisper sit or another command when you have treat in hand she will do it
but you cant always have a treat to hand when you want her to just come in out the kitchen because theres a pan on.
Well there has to be some reason for her change. Maybe it would be a good idea to study her for a few days and see if you can come up with the problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if its random id sugest write down on a note pad when she does it and what you did to see if you can understand why she does it, their maybe something that triggers it and you dont realise. I know you may feel mean muzzling her but its the safest thing you can do when your going to pick her up so she dosent bite you. i'd sugest another vet visit, it seems odd behaviour.
ugh- shes not even listening to me now when im telling her to sit.
it seems she will only do anything if i have a treat if not she will bite me or ignore me

i think because she was abused before i got her (even though shes been perfect since i took her in) shes getting her own back and loosing it in her old age
its pretty upsetting as i like to stroke her and stuff ya know

ill see if i can notice a pattern but i do think its just moodyness with old age

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
ugh- shes not even listening to me now when im telling her to sit.
it seems she will only do anything if i have a treat if not she will bite me or ignore me

i think because she was abused before i got her (even though shes been perfect since i took her in) shes getting her own back and loosing it in her old age
its pretty upsetting as i like to stroke her and stuff ya know

ill see if i can notice a pattern but i do think its just moodyness with old age
have you tried holding your hand pretending to have a treat? I do that with blaze as he is very food orientated too when learning etc. I trick him into thinking i have food then just praise him like mad when he listens

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well there has to be some reason for her change. Maybe it would be a good idea to study her for a few days and see if you can come up with the problem
shes like a young dog honestly. if you saw her out you wouldnt think she was that old
here she is:

i have a vid of her doing tricks the other week when she wasnt in a mood and shes perfect- very very fast reactions etc

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.