Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Idiotic neighbours

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Elmstar, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

So our idiotic neighbours weren't satisfied at reporting us to the council for the noise the cats sometimes make, now they've reported us to the RSPCA! :mad:

We had a visit today from a lovely lady who told us that they had had a report that our boys in the catteries were terrified and kept running up the fences. Of course they run up the fences they enjoy climbing!

Fortunately the builder was still there and showed her that the boys weren't even concerned when he used a power tool, they have also grown to love him and rub around his legs when he goes in to them.

Anyway she was completely satisfied that our cats are being well cared for which is good but what annoys me is that our jealous and very sad next door neighbour chose to waste their time like this because they can see us spending money and making the garden look nice for us and our cats. :cursing:

It makes me so mad! :cursing:

2. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

AAAwwww sorry to hear that :( They need to get a life !!!!! :cursing: x

3. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

That really sucks.. some people really need to get a life.:mad:
    At least the people who matter know you're taking good care of your cats :)

4. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

I'm sorry for what happpened but I would much rather have people like your neighbours around than those who turn a blind eye.

Your cats are obviously very well cared for but if there were more people like them. who are willing to speak up for the animals who can't. the world would be a much better place.

I don't know if there is a history of a poor relationship between you and your neighbours or if it was done out of spite but if they genuinely thought there was something wrong, well done for them to not be happy sitting back and thinking it wasn't for them to interfere.

5. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

No, it was definitely done out of spite and a total waste of the RSPCA's time, kind of like the idiots who make fake calls to the emergency services.

Anyone who knows us in any form knows that we dote on our pets.

6. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

Well in that case, what idiots. It's hard enough getting the RSPCA out to genuine cases without things like this wasting their time!

7. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

I am sorry for the upset it must have caused you but best not to take it too personally.
    I think it is a case of when anyone breeds cats their tolerance levels for stud cats meowing incessantly, or girls on heat, cat fighting noises, growling, the occasional scream, cats running about, climbing, smell etc. increases.

To a lay person this whole scenario in a back garden, can be bedlam and can be quite distressing if they do not understand or want to understand the psychology and dynamics of the "entire" female and male cat.

Many people just want peace in their back garden and I can understand how they can get very annoyed and they do resort to the council or the RSPCA. I do not think they really think there is cruelty going on but they feel that they need to do something.

That is why many breeders end up in a more country type situation with fewer neighbours as opposed to being in town. I know some have even been almost forced out by incessant neighbour complaints and ill feeling.

kittykat likes this.
  8. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Grrr to your neighbours, some people really are idiots.

9. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

I had a neighbour like that but she reported my mum for benefit fraud. She told them my mum was claiming child benfit when she had no children. I have 3 brothers and a sister. I think 5 kids works out as having children. (We were all living at home at the time).
    She was always trying to get my mum in trouble because my mum reported her to the RSPCA because she just let her dog wander the street and it would rip up our bin bags and attack mum's persian. She is a terrible woman. She actually is a babysitter! Its shocking, I've seen a million times babies left in their pram outside the front door for ages. I've also seen babies crying for at least an hour in her garden or conservatory. I told mum she should report that but she didn't want any more trouble from her.
    Although mum said since she got divorced she is a lot nicer and doesn't do it any more.

10. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Some people are just bullies. They probably have a motive - ie to get rid of you or your cats. Eventually it mayl get to the point of you moving out of frustration & sadly they will win.

There should be some sort of criminal charge for lying to the RSPCA. It happens so often.

11. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

I don't think it fair to call them idotic. We have dogs next door both sides to us, they drive me mad with the barking, it's so loud esp at 4am when they let them out sometimes. I friggin' hate the noise. I want a quieter back garden.

Saying that I wouldn't report them. Try not to be too angry and try to understand their point of view too. Prehaps try talking to them and explain to them about your cats.

It may just help.

12. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

What makes you think we haven't talked to them? We've often asked the woman if the cats are causing them any upset, we don't leave any of our girls out unless they've being mated because one of our girls sounds awful and we don't want to upset the neighbours. We lock the boys up in their houses at night so as not to cause any disturbance.

We're approachable and we're two women so it's not as it they need to be afraid of anything. They've never come and complained to us about anything although we have heard the man moaning in the garden when he was drunk and one of the girls was out....guess what, I brought her in!

I'll stand by my comment that they are idiots. Secretly reporting us to the council and the RSPCA achieves nothing as we're not doing anything wrong! To be honest it worries me that anyone thinks this cowardly behaviour is acceptable.

13. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Because you never mentioned that you have spoken to your Neighbours which is why I suggested it.

14. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Situations like this are hard for all involved.

I get reported to the RSPCA so much that I have now given up asking the neighbours about it.

I once got reported to the RSPCA (the same one that I volunteer for as well ) as I had too many cats in the house :eek:hmy:

In fact I only had 3 and 1 of them was an RSPCA foster cat.

I later got reported after fostering an elderly cat for the RSPCA that was in very poor condition and skin and bones when she arrived.

A neighbour saw her in the window and reported that I was starving my cats.
    I understand this complaint because she did look a MESS but all it took was someone to mention it and I could of explained that she was a foster cat who came to me in that state for us to build her back up.

The third time I was reported as a large feral cat attacked another cat in the area. The feral was actually nothing to do with me and I had no idea where it came from but by this point I was known as the RSPCA lady so they assumed I must of let it loose.

It does get hard but you can understand where it has come from.
    Some people are genuinly concerned some are just petty and that's when it drives me mad :mad:

I suppose it dosn't help that (ssshh whisper ) i'm in a same sex relationship with lots of old fashioned people living around me.

I don't let it get to me anymore I KNOW my cats are well cared for and spoilt rotten as do the RSPCA or I would not still be doing so much work for them.
    If other people want to question that then let them I have nothing to hide.

15. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

My ex neighbours used to be like this about our cat house, considering our boys only used to be out there in fine weather it used to really drive me nuts.

Why can't they just talk to you about it and even try and show an interest, it annoys me so much that people don't even try and understand where we are coming from, we all get tarred with the same brush "mad cat people"

I hope you don't get anymore hassle,at least the RSPCA have now seen your set up and are fine with it,sounds like your neighbours are just jealous really.Too bad they can't get themselves a hobby then maybe they wouldn't have too much time on their hands to make petty complaints about you!

Izzie

16. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

I really hope your situation resolves as quite often these situations have a nasty habit of escalating :mad: Our friend had the "concerned about cats call to RSPCA" then had to rescue her boys from a burning cat house on arrival home from work! Coincidence - me thinks not. Hopefully when your works complete the jealousy will subside. Had a look at your website (nosey) and your cat houses look great :) In my opinion best not to rise to the bait, you can't win against certain "types". If someone needs a drink to express themselves and can't come to your door in a civilised manner then it looks like any attempts at restoring harmony may be futile at this moment in time

17. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

That's awful :eek: I hope your friend's cats were OK? I must say that is our biggest concern!

18. tylow

tylow PetForums VIP

The cats were thankfully alright but our friend had to go in and get them out and it took her a while to get back on track and get the houses rebuilt :mad:

19. may

may PetForums VIP

The same thing happened to me with one of my neighbours :mad:
    when the inspector came to see me he was an X breeder of siamese:cool:
    he said he would be more than happy to move in my stud house :)he was very imprest with the way the cats were looked after and said not to worry about the stupid neighbours :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice