Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Idiot in the dogpark

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ducky, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

took skye and kody to the dogpark today, and when we got there, there was a lovely ex racing greyhound and a collie. the 4 of them were having a great time, although kody was initially petrified of the greyhound as he had a muzzle on and kept bopping him with it hehe. but they were fine after a few minutes.

but then an older lady appeared with a wee staffy, which was absolutely fine, she was a friendly wee dog. (though i should add the dog arrived at the gate about 5mins before the woman did)

me and my dad were in the middle of the field playing with the dogs, whilst the other 3 owners sat at the gate chatting. it was then that i noticed the staffy was hanging off the greyhounds muzzle. she kept biting onto it and chewing and was literally kinda hanging. so i said to my dad surely they shouldnt be doing that. not fair on the greyhound, could have hurt him.

so my dad says to the owner, she might want to stop her dog from hanging off the others muzzle. and the woman started pure shouting at my dad that she was just playing. by this point the dog had actually managed to pull the muzzle over the greyhounds face. the greyhound owner came over and managed to get the dog off and put his muzzle back on.
    the staffy owner didnt care in the least! cos her dog was "just playing". nobody said her dog was being aggressive, you just cant allow your dog to behave like that! the poor greyhound couldnt do anything!

on our way out the park later on, she started shouting at my dad again. he pushed me forward before i could start ranting at her myself!! :rolleyes:

aargh, idiots. i bet she would have been raging if after her dog got the greyhounds muzzle off that it bit her dog! but that wouldnt have been her fault clearly...

2. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

aww that poor greyhound and that mean owners! i hate people like that, thats why i try not to go to places where theres a lot of dogs as Roxi is scared of other dogs but also i dont know how they will react to her, and not all dog owners are responsible.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

The dog might have had no ill intention but it's not good manners. It's very irresponsible of her too. Should put a muzzle on her and let someone play with it, see how she likes it :D Talk about not respecting other peoples space...

4. Binkie

Binkie PetForums Newbie

I wonder where the owner of the greyhound and collie where??

5. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

What an odd lady :confused: I wonder why she reacted like that? Also- completely not fair on the grey- Nero wears a muzzle and he would have just stood there and taken the annoying dog in his stride- but if Amber had been bothered like that she would have growled, and had her muzzle come off, may have bitten- so this woman clearly can't be too bothered about her dogs welafe- what a silly bat!

6. bubbles88

bubbles88 PetForums Junior

Very irresponsible of that Lady. Had the tables turned i bet she would have been blaming the other person. No manners at all.

7. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

the greyhound lady did come over after a few minutes, i dont think she had noticed what the dog was actually doing until we pointed it out. by the time she got over though the muzzle was completely off.

luckily the greyhound was incredibly laid back, so didnt retaliate whne it had the chance.

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

poor Mr Greyhound :(

doesn't sound as though the SBT was being aggressive, just bad mannered! If it was Tiger doing that, I don't think I would be able to apologise enough, i'd be mortified!

Perhaps the woman was embarrassed, a lot of people get confrontational when they know they're in the wrong, especially in situations like that - perhaps she panicked and thought her dog was gonna land up in trouble.

9. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I can understand your concern, but it wasn't really your place to say anything, because the greyhound is not your dog. If it was your dog then she had no right to speak to you like that, but as it wasn't your dog perhaps it would have been better to leave it for the owner to resolve the situation. I always practice my 'Keeping my mouth shut' in cases like this. It's bad enough having disagreements in public about one's own dog without getting into them over someone else's :)

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

as much as do agree to an extent, i was worried the dog was going to get hurt. and id rather say something and not let the dog be injured. than say nothing and it get hurt. as i say the owner wasnt really paying attention at the time (not really an excuse but hey)

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I don't think I could let a potentially dangerous situation (for either dog) happen right in front of me without saying something just for the sake of not upsetting someone. If it had spiralled and turned into agression from ether of the dogs, I would be very angry with myself for not saying anything had it have been me.

And if you don't say anything, you're just as likely to get grief from at least one of the other owners for not saying or doing anything about it!

12. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I would have perhaps gone and had a quiet word with the greyhound owner to just say, have you seen what that dog is doing and just leave it at that.

In my experience when you get involved you only get aggro and no one ever thanks you for it :) If someone gives me grief about minding my own business then they're going to look pretty silly aren't they?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice