Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Identification tag

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by spamvicious, May 17, 2017.

1. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Should you put the dogs name on or not?. I've read that you shouldn't?. I'm guessing that it makes it easier for someone to steal them if they know the dogs name?.

2. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

When I got my dogs from Battersea, they put my surname on the tag, although I do wonder if that's because a lot of people change their dogs name after adoption

Calvine likes this.
  3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

If they are close enough to read the tag - they are probably close enough to steal your dog anyway...

Legal requirement is to have your name and address, including postcode - home and mobile numbers are also recommended since it is easier for someone to get in touch with you should they find your dog.

Lily has her name on... on the reverse is my full name, address, land line and mobile number.
    [​IMG]

magpie, BlueJay, MiffyMoo and 2 others like this.
  4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Mine currently don't but that's only because I couldn't fit it on the tags

5. spamvicious

Oh I like her tag, where did you get it?. We're gonna be moving soon so wasn't going to put my address on it till then so might have to buy two.

6. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

MiffyMoo likes this.
  7. spamvicious

8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

It is recommended not to have your dogs name on the tag.

I have:

Surname, First line of address and Postcode on one side and Telephone number and 'I am microchipped' on the other.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I always suggest having a spare id tag. Don't get me wrong, I have only ever had one dog, and it was the same dog that constantly lost her id tag...i have no idea how she did it...but she did. It does happen, rarely but it does.

You really do not want to be with an id tag, even though dogs are microchipped. Many a thread here, has been about people reuniting a dog with owner through its details on his/her collar...so am sure many Joe blogs types would do just the same...i always think there are more good than bad in the world.

10. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I have never understood this logic.

To begin with, I can probably tell you the name of most of the dogs I see when I am out walking as their owners are usually calling their names

Ergo no need to check the name tag

Secondly if you are close enough to a dog to read the ID tag you will probably already have it, so again knowing the name is irrelevant.

Thirdly many dogs will go off with anyone regardless of if they know their name

Other dogs will not go with anyone despte the thief knowing their name, address, blood group number and favourite food.

A legally compliant ID in the UK requires the surname of the owner, and address including postcode

Anything else is an optional extra.

The advantage to the DOG of having its name on the tag is it can reassure them in the event of a catastrophe.

I do not put the names of my dogs on any of their tags as I am too mean to buy new ones for each dog :)

Ownedbymany and magpie like this.
  11. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We have the on Dillons tags.:)

ForestWomble likes this.
  12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I have the dogs names on their tags. The ''knowing their name makes them easier to steal'' nonsense really makes me laugh.

One side is dogs name, ''I am mirochipped'' and my phone number, on the reserves is my name, first line of address and postcode.

Identitag deep engraved with black inlay - often outlast the dogs themselves, very cheap and very robust.

labradrk and magpie like this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I also have our vet's number on ours.

14. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

My dogs tags have their names on. I don't see any reason not to, and I think the dogs would perhaps be a little happier if they did get lost and the person that found them could say their names. Their tags also have the first line of my address, postcode, two phone numbers and "microchipped & neutered".

The idea that having the name on makes it easier to steal the dog is pretty ridiculous if you think about it :D

15. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yup, I have all the same info, from Identitag too. Highly recommended!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice