Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Identification help

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Jonescat, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Does anyone recognise this leaf? It was sold to me in a village hall fund raiser as a Pheasant's Eye and is supposed to have red tassels. I was also told it would need controlling later on. I am struggling with identifying it so all help appreciated.

P1330854.JPG

Many thanks

2. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I think it is Leycesteria Formosa or Pheasant Berry. It grows into a thicket but is easy to control. Make sure you remove any seedlings you don't want before they get bg. The bracts are the decorative part of the plant but the leaves are usually slightly red tinged as well. Some people cut it to the ground every year but I don't because it helps obscure the view of my neighbour's oil tank. I will try to get a pic of the bracts later as yours is not yet flowering.

Jonescat likes this.
  3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

The bracts darken with time and the white flowers become less obvious.
    L formosa (640x571).jpg

Jonescat likes this.
  4. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Thankyou @QOTN
    That is really useful information. It looks good in flower :)

5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I love this plant. The pic I posted may have been a bit confusing because some of the visible leaves are my Philadelphus Belle Etoile which is also in that area.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice