Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

ideas needed

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by nici, Dec 27, 2007.

1. nici

nici PetForums Senior

i got a new addition to my family just before xmas and she is extreamly shy, :eek: to the point that she constantly growls at my other 2 big dogs and she has even snaped but luckily my other 2 dont seem to be bothered and infact chaya is a little scared:(. has anyone any ideas on what i should do or should i just leave her to come round i no it is still early but i dont want her thinking she can bully them, as she could get hurt if chaya decided she wasnt going to put up with it, i have her on a weeks settle down time and can take her back but she is so sweet, i was wondering if she would settle or is she set in her ways now... she is 2 years 3 months....or would she be best with no other big dogs.

2. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

As heartbreaking as it is, if she was mine il'd personally take her back, because u cannot take that chance of her attacking and seriously hurting your other dogs or visa virsa, There is also the chance she may never settle down even with training, there4 making it more heartbreaking having to rehome her.

Was she previously living with other dogs? If the answer is yes don't it make you wonder why they wanted to rehome her in the first place?. maybe she was the same with their other dogs? there4 she should really of rehomed her to new owners with no other dogs.

I don't really know the situation but to tell the truth, As i said, If she was mine i really would'nt take the chance how ever sweet she seems.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

3. nici

nici PetForums Senior

thanks leo, she was with others, but they said she was ok with dogs just not used to big dogs and the reason for rehoming was because the woman had a very ill dad and was out all day looking after him, she was rehoming the others to.

4. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Awww so sad :(.

Maybe she will settle after a bit of tender loving care, It may be because of the sudden change of homes after 2 years who knows?. I mean, all these different people and dogs around her must be scary aswell bless her heart, But it will also be gutting if she does'nt settle :(
    what breed of dog is she nici ?

5. nici

nici PetForums Senior

she is a little chinese crested hairless, i no alot of it is because she is scared thats why i thought maybe she will be ok my other 3 are so good they dont seem to take much notice of her growls , chaya just cant understand why she wont play bless her:( she has got a bit better and she is eating fine we have only had her a few days but you can see that she isnt as nervous, its just the being scared bit, she is also scared when out on a little walk but that can be turned round.she doesnt bite the others she just sort of makes alot of noise as if to frighten them away but chaya just stands and looks at her as to say ...what you on..:D i dont want to give up after just a week but thats all the women would give.

6. robindog

robindog PetForums Newbie

Personally I think you need to give her time. Just imagine how you would feel if you were thrust into a new environment with people who had already built up a solid relationship. Your best bet would be to take all the dogs into a new environment to allow them to adjust then that evens out the score a bit. Take them walking somewhere new to them all for instance. If you give up on her now she is just going to become institutionalised as we humans know it and she will withdraw even more. PLEASE GIVE HER TIME. I have seen this type of problem before but give the pack time to adjust. :eek:

7. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

I imagined a big dog of some sort hehe, if she was a big dog then no doubt about it i would'nt of taken the chance because of the amount of damage she could well of inflicted, but after reading what breed she is and what she is doing i now say give her some time, i doubt she would do much damage bless her lil cotton, and as long as your 100% your other dogs will put up with her mood swings while she is trying to settle in i now think you should give her some time and im very sure in time she will get used to your routine and also realize the other dogs are her freinds :) .

love to see pictures of her if you have any done :D

8. nici

nici PetForums Senior

hehe ahh no she is only a tiddler bless:eek:, i have put a couple of pics on my other thread lifes hard in the pics section, i had just cleaned and clipped her up as she was a bit grubby, thanks for replys:D

9. nici

nici PetForums Senior

thanks for reply, i think i have decided to keep her as every day goes by a litte more of her comes out, i think she will be purfect once she settled.:)

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Awwww bless, no doubt she will get very well looked after by yaself, im sure she will get so much better in time, we cant expect a miricle and she be ok over night, there is so many different smells and things, she has got to get used to living with you and different routes to walk and different dogs and people to meet, its all new, once she does get into a routeen im so sure she will love every minute living with you and ur 3 other dogs :D.

Im gonna go look at her picture now on the other page lol :D:D:D:D

re: i looked :D ohhh yeah i remember that pic, shes so cute and dinky aww, a hairless with hair hehehe.

11. May be she nedeed a bot of time to adjast? With cats its best to keep them separate for a few days till they're got used to smells and noises of a new household and pets-residents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice