Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ideas Anyone??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sootisox, May 4, 2010.

1. sootisox

sootisox PetForums Senior

A kitten i bred last year has been rushed into hospital :(

His owner contacted me over the weekend and said she's had to rush him into the emergency vets on Sunday evening as one eye had started changing colour and he'd suddenly become very unsteady on his feet. He's a Ragdoll and has the usual ragdoll blue eyes ...his right eye had started to turn green. He had a temp of 105 and was sent home after a hefty dose of antibiotics and painkillers, with strict instructions to get him to her usual vet first thing on Monday morning (no inpatient care at the emergency vets)

He was admitted into hospital on Monday morning, popped straight onto a drip and had a fairly comfortable night.

He's been treated previously (within the past 6 weeks) with antibiotics and steroids for mucus (sp) stools and diareah and seemed to get a little better, he's also lost quite a bit of weight. He's been raised on a high quality wet meat diet, with access to dry food and also uses a water fountain. He's still on kitten food as he's only just celebrated his first birthday (last week). He was fully vaccinated at 9 and 12 weeks with Novibac Tricat (Flu/enteritis/leukemia). His booster isn't due until July. He's followed a strict worming programme (milbemax).

His blood tests today showed that he's anaemic, has raised bilubrium (sp?), is jaundiced and has a low white blood cell count. Normal electrolites. He's tested negative for FIV and FeLV.

He's due to have an ultrasound this afternoon and xrayed tomorrow (he's still too weak for xrays today).

The vet felt that his intestines felt "spongey" in his initial examination and will be looking for the possibility of some kind of tumour in his ultrasound. His owner is naturally worried sick about her baby.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this / these types of results? Any ideas of what else we could test for? I'm thinking, with the jaundice problem, it's possibly liver/kidney related.

I'm very close to his owner, in fact, she's on her way over to spend a few days here with me whilst her boy is in hospital - she doesn't drive and the hospital is nearer to me than to her. I'll be providing a taxi and moral support role over the next wee while.

PLease keep everything crossed for the poor boy. :(

2. sootisox

Forgot to mention - both of his parents were tested before mating and are clear of the known HCM gene.

3. Tje

Tje Banned

Hey, I’m sorry I can’t offer practical help or suggestions to what it could be… I just couldn’t read this though and not comment on how great a breeder you are (I wish more were like you!). All the best to you, the owner and the little sick cat, my thoughts are with you all.

4. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

So sorry to read your post :( has the vet done a test for FCoV

5. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

So sorry to hear this, I hope the little mite is ok.

Picking out parts of what you said, raised bilirubin levels are what cause jaundice but can be a sign of liver disease or other liver problems, if this is the case then his intestines will be affected and the liver plays a huge role in breaking down foods in the stomach and small intestine.

Bilirubin might be high due to red blood cell death or due to the liver not being able to process it properly (ie liver disease).

Reduced white blood cells are also indicative of liver function problems, do you know if the vet looked at ALT (alanine aminotransferase) levels? This is the most common blood marker for liver disease if it is increased.

An alternative to liver disease could be a blood disorder, given that high bilirubin can be cause by red blood cell death and the fact his white blood cells are low.

Whatever the case I have everything crossed for him if it were me I'd be pushing for a closer examination of the liver.

Good luck x

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Jo I have just sent you something via your email which might be helpful.

7. sootisox

Thanks for your replies, I'll have the vet look into doing the ALT tests. I'll hopefully have some more news after he's had his ultrasound.

I don't think they've tested for FCoV but i'll suggest this also. I'm pretty sure he's never had any other tummy upset which could point to the coronavirus. He's in a single cat household, an indoor only cat and the only other cats he's ever been around are a) his mum and littermates when younger, and b) trips to the vets for neutering and check-ups etc. Every single one of his littermates have been 100% healthy (I keep in touch with them all). FIP would be my biggest concern. I'm praying it doesn't turn out to be this :(

I've also been reading a few bits and pieces about t-feotus - i'll be mentioning this to the vets too. I have a feeing they'll hate me after all of my "suggestions" lol. Thank-god his mummy had enough common sense to carry on his insurance!

Thanks Mellowma, i've just received your email.

Jo

8. Dally Banjo

I was a worried about FIP especially when you said about the eye colour change I do hope it isnt let us know how he gets on will keep everything crossed for him xxx

9. sootisox

QUICK UPDATE:

They tried to ultrasound him yesterday afternoon but he became a little distressed and they stopped. They saw "something" but couldn't say for sure what it is. Rather than sedating him for xrays this afternoon, they've decided to give him a GA and do exploritory surgery. His op is around 1.30pm.

We'll be waiting with baited breath and praying we don't get a phonecall "mid op" ... That usually only means one thing. The vets told us to expect the worst and hope for the best. Poor little man :(

10. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Ive only just seen this.

I echo tje about what a good breeder you sound! Not many would be as caring.

I hope that what was spotted on the u/s is nothing really, and his surgery goes well today with a good positive outcome and a treatable diagnosis xxxx

11. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

poor little kitten. Hope he'll be ok. What a worry for you and his owner x

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh Jo, i hope he's okay, keep in touch.

13. Dally Banjo

Poor paws :( will keep everything crossed it is something they can fix xxx

14. Daisyandchlo

Daisyandchlo PetForums Member

Oh poor boy. Fingers crossed for him :)

15. Lulusmum

Lulusmum PetForums Junior

Fingers crossed.

16. sootisox

Thanks for all your good thoughts. Unfortunately, when the vet opened him up, she discovered a large tumour and several smaller tumours. His liver had started to fail and his owner and the vet decided that the kindest thing to do would be to let him go. We're as sure as we can be that it wasn't due to FIP, but after discussing with his owner, decided to ask for biopsies to be sent away to rule it out. He'll also be having a PM this afternoon to try to find out exactly what these tumours were and what had caused them.

We're absolutely devastated. RIP baby boy xxx

17. Tje

Tje Banned

my thoughts are with you and the owner sootisox.

18. Dally Banjo

Im so very, very sorry :( hope the PM dose'nt come back FIP. Huge hugs to you & his mum xxx

19. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

oh hun i'm so sorry.

Run free little kitty.

Hugs to you and his owner.... such sad sad news xxxx

20. Haley

Haley PetForums Member

Ah hun. I am so sorry for your and your friend's loss.

It's nice that you have each other for comfort and support. You are a very good friend.

Sending my condolences x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice