Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ideal weight

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Milliepoochie, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

A while back I started a thread about Millies weight - After being spayed I let her get up to nearly 22Kg :eek: After hurting her paw I cut down her food slightly as I felt she would benefit from loosing a Kg. Its a slippery slope when Kg sneak on and Millie is only staffy sized.

She was weighed at 20.3Kg 4 weeks ago :thumbup:- Today I took some photos from above out of curiosity and to be honest was suprised at how skinny she looked from above :eek:

What do other people think? This is from above:

[​IMG]

Although I have to admit I really like how she looks from the side -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you had only seen the above shot and not the side shots would you think she was a healthy weight? Lol never realised how prominant her rib cage is :eek:

2. Nikkisun

Nikkisun PetForums Member

I'm no expert but she looks gorgeous to me - just right.

3. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

Personally i would not take anymore weight off, she looks right to me and how i would have mine.

4. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

I think she looks perfect, she's just the sort of weight I like to keep ours at. Great job! :thumbup1:

5. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

She looks perfect to me! Stunning from both above and the side :)

6. Personally I think she looks perfect, not a barrel on legs but not super skinny either :D :thumbup1:

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I think she looks fantastic; not skinny - lean and healthy :thumbup:.

8. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I have the boys a little leaner, but that's my preference, she looks gorgeous :)

9. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I think she looks perfect...think you can over analyse a bit, cause depending on how my monster is standing, breathing etc depends how skinny he looks :D

10. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I agree with Pogo - I personally keep my boys very lean - leaner than most would, but that's my personal preference. :)

Millie looks in fine shape - lovely waist and tuck up. Gorgeous girl.

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

She has a covering on her ribs with a nice tuck in waist , i would say she is spot on :thumbup:

12. Milliepoochie

Thanky you for taking the time to read and comment :eek: :thumbup:

Out of curiosity do you have any photos of your lads from the side / above? Would love to see some :eek:

Thank You :eek:

I think I am definately over thinking it :eek: I mean Millie was never to big as such - as in nothing which would effect her health but in my mind 2kg is 2kg and esp with agility I want her to carry as little extra as possible and sometimes its easy to think 'shes meant to be chunky' as she is and has quite abit of extra skin but at the same time theres no reason you cant be chunky yet lean if that makes sense :eek:

Thank You Sixstar - I think im really happy with her shape atm - On our walk today she kept doing big deer jumps all over the place :rolleyes: so she is def feeling bouncy :thumbup:

13. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

She looks great! In my eyes that looks to be her ideal weight - nice and lean but still carrying enough weight to lose some if she became ill.

Scooter is usually ~32kg and went down to 30kg after a nasty stomach upset, I was amazed at the difference losing a couple makes (could see ribs and spine). Now he's 32kg again and the last rib is the only one visible so think that's his ideal.

14. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

I shall have to take some photos for you if you'd like i don't have any recent ones :)

15. Milliepoochie

No hurry lol but would be fantastic to see how your lads look at some point :eek: :thumbup:

Hubby thinks im crazy :rolleyes: but I find it amazing the different shapes / sizes and builds of dog and would be very interested in seeing how a short haird dog who is keep lean looks :eek:

16. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

bit deceiving being white dogs but you get the idea. Most people don't like to see bones on a dog i aim to be able to just see most of their ribs, but again personal preference!

Harvey is the leaner of the two of them but i don't think it comes across in the photos, as his vibs are more 'prominent' then chances

harv
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

She looks great. :thumbup:

18. SixStar

SixStar Banned

:thumbup::thumbup: My kinda dogs! Spot on! :D

19. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

why thank you :eek:

20. Milliepoochie

Fantastic thank You :thumbup:

Their muscle definition is amazing.

They are def slimmer than Millie athough its so hard to compare because I imagine Millie has longer coarser hair coat than your lads.

When I wash her I can feel her ribs and her shoulder blades much more than previous so I think I am much happier with her now - :thumbup: I shall stop being obbsessed with my dogs weight lol :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice