Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ideal weight

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bullet, May 5, 2010.

1. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

Hi everyone. Just taken Bobbie to the vets for his booster jabs, mot, and got him weighed. He's fine, but the vet said although he's still got shape, she didn't really want to see him put on any more weight. He's gsd x wolfhound, gsd size and 2 years 4 months old approx. He weighs 36 kg, does that seem heavy to you.? We try to keep his meals the same, he has jwb dry food with 1/2 a small pouch, just to make it interesting, and we try to keep to their recomendations. He also gets a good walk with plenty of running off lead every day. What do you all think?:eek:

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I go by how they look and feel rather than how much they weight. If I can feel the ribs but not necessarily see them and on the whippets and greyhounds if I can see a couple of nobs of their spin then I think they are fine.

As far as a wolfhound x GSD i've no idea how much they would weigh but the greyhound that I lost 6 weeks ago William was 31" to his shoulder and weighed over 40kg when he looked as though his weight was right.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Sounds good to me, if you can feel ribs without having to search through any fat, you're on the right tracks. It must be more difficult with a hairy dog to see their actual condition, more about feeling I'd guess.

For comparison, my two bitches weigh 27kgs and 28kgs, both Labradors, the largest is just under 2' high at the shoulder, but obviously it's much easier for me to see their actual body condition.

4. rona

rona Guest

Doesn't sound excessive to me, but the vet may have concerns about joints if the weight goes up at all.

5. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

Cheers for that, he feels ok to me, you can see him in my album:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice