Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ideal breed?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Old Sport, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Old Sport

Old Sport PetForums Newbie

I'm thinking about getting a dog but I'm struggling to find the right breed - I like breeds like huskies and those with spitz characteristics but I know that I won't be able to provide multiple hours of exercise each day for such dogs.
    I cycle and have quite a few parks nearby, so I would be able to provide intense exercise daily, just not for long periods of time. Is more heavy exercise for shorter periods of time acceptable for such breeds as huskies/spitzes, and if not (I'm assuming not) what breeds match the exercise I can provide and appearance/personality of such breeds as dogs like Siberian huskies, finnish spitzes, and akitas (wolflike and relatively large, I suppose).
    I understand that most dogs of that description are working dogs and simply require lots of exercise, and that this is a long shot, but are there any recommendations which fit the aforementioned characteristics (or general advice on the topic)?
    I simply wish to enjoy the pleasures of having a dog while ensuring said dog is well exercised - various warnings of irresponsible people getting dogs they cannot treat correctly have made me cautious and obsessed with getting the right dog for me which I can handle.
    Thanks (in advance)

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Dogs need both mental and physical stimulation - walking a dog to tire them could mean you end up with a really physically fit dog who cannot settle... nightmare!

What are you looking for in a dog? What would your dream dog be, personality wise? Easy to train? Companionship? A social dog? A dog to let off lead?

How long would the dog be left alone?

How do you feel about grooming and shedding?

Do you have previous experience owning dogs?

MiffyMoo and Sairy like this.
  3. Old Sport

4. DT

DT Banned

As shiba says much thought needs to be given to all aspects mentioned above.

Just wanted to add a retired greyhound is often ovelooked,

5. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

Eurasiers, Norwegian Elkhounds, Finnish Lapphunds, Samoyeds, Norwegian Buhunds, Keeshonds.
    I'm not sure intense exercise would be particularly appropriate for any of them. They're all "easier" breeds than Sibes but are still proper Nordic breeds.

Pappychi and MiffyMoo like this.
  6. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Funny? Not sure if you are considering a pup but they aren't funny when biting your clothes, biting you - making you bleed and leaving you with bruises, chewing the skirting board, ripping wall paper or destroying the flooring. Sleeping downstairs or having the pup with you throughout the night until they settle. Oh and getting up throughout the night so they can go to the toilet. Gradually getting them used to being left - as they feel comfortable. Those behaviours can last for months.
    A lot of people get really stressed and teary after bringing home a pup - puppy's change everything and need a lot of supervision to keep them out of too much mischief.

Aloof isn't very humorous IMO - it needs to be managed carefully, which takes experience and skill so it doesn't become a problem... Many aloof breeds only seek affection on their terms.

Aggression is a behaviour - breeds like Akita's can be less dog tolerant once adult, which if not carefully managed can become a problem.

"It doesn't need to be easy to train or able to be social with other dogs and friendly with new people, though that may be helpful."
    How about vet visits? A dog having to be examined by a stranger - the vet, or sitting in the waiting room with other dogs. A dog that is reactive is really going to struggle and be under a lot of stress in a simple situation like that.

Your holidays - if the dog is left with a pet sitter or kennels being surrounded by other dogs and taken care of by strangers.​

Do you live in a town? Would the dog be walking past others often and there is always a chance to bump into other dogs.​

No dog can be left for 7 hours initially - a puppy certainly not. Ideally adult dogs would require a break midday, dog walker or such like, which again is a stranger.

I think you have gone primarily on looks - while they should factor in your decision, personality and fitting into your lifestyle are key.
    No point shoving a square block in a round hole - it's never going to fit.

I'm a first time dog owner myself - I looked into Shiba Inu's, wanted to meet some breeders and see what the dogs were like in person. It's ok thinking you can handle a breed - it's very different in person. It never materialised for me - I ended up with a rescue mutt pup, polar opposite of a Shiba and I'm very happy with her,

Might be worth visiting your local rescue - walk some of the dogs, you never know - you might fall in love with one.

If you are insistent then look at your chosen breed, breed club. Speak to breeders, go meet them and their dogs, attend club shows and you'll get an idea about what they are actually like. It is a great way to find good breeders who produce quality, healthy puppies with good temperaments.

Rudydog and Sarah H like this.
  7. Old Sport

Yes, I understand that I was/am going for a dog based only on appearance (and that doing so is foolish) - I made this post so I could be informed of the realities of owning a dog and given breed recommendations which make those realities more tolerable (for want of a better word) for me. I am home for at least a month right now when I can constantly be around a puppy, hence why I thought I had time for one. I won't be going on holiday for at least another year. I know that I cannot handle a breed like a husky (for example), I was asking about other more manageable breeds. I apologise for being a novice and looking foolish.

8. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

You didn't look foolish, just inexperienced.

Shiba is speaking from very recent experience so knows only too well how much work puppies are. They aren't just little dogs, they are a whole different thing. They take over your life for months and are dependent on you for food exercise and love for quite a while. They are a big commitment and it's best you go in with your eyes open.

There's a really good sticky thread on the Forum called 'Thinking of getting a puppy'. It's dog owners talking about the experience of having a puppy. It's a truthful account of all the things you don't expect and don't even know about before you get one! Have a read of that.

And don't worry, some people here will roll their eyes at you but what most of us want is for you to be happy with any dog you get because having a dog is one of the best things in life.

Old Sport, Sairy and MiffyMoo like this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What thought have you given to the cost? Dogs can be expensive, and depending on your insurance plan you might need to have a four figure sun readily available for a vet bill before any claim is reimbursed. Also if you are leaving this dog for 7 hours a day you will need to factor in the cost of dog walkers.

10. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

The recommendation of going to your local rescue is a great one. In good ones, the staff are great and know their dogs well enough that they are able to match you with a dog that will [hopefully] fit with your lifestyle and personality.

If you're looking for a puppy, why don't you pop along to Discover Dogs

http://www.discoverdogs.org.uk/

You'll be able to chat to experienced owners, and there are so many breeds there that you may discover and fall in love with a breed you've never thought of.

When it comes to getting a puppy, please ensure you choose a breeder who has done all the recommended health tests on the parents, and also breed for temperament. The breed clubs are always a good place to start your search, once you have decided on a breed.

11. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Have a nosy at some terrier breeds.

Not at all wolf like in looks but bundles of character (my girl makes me laugh with her antics everyday).

If you go to a rescue and meet some dogs you might end up falling for a dog there or the staff can help you find the dog for you that fits your criteria or at least meet some dogs and have a better idea of what to look for.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice