Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ideal adult weight for a staffy?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by stranger23, Sep 6, 2013.

1. stranger23

stranger23 PetForums Senior

So im looking to put my staffy puppy onto a raw diet like my other dogs, ive not had a staffy before so asked the vet today when i got her jabs done an ideal adult weight so i can know how much to feed and i got told............... There is no ideal weight for a staffy they vary to much for them to be able to tell me what she should weigh when older :eek::eek::eek:

So can anyone on here give me an idea of roughly what sort of weight she should be when she grows up?

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I agree with your vet, they are all so different. Little tiny ball like Staffies. huge powerhouse Staffies and even long legged agility competing Staffies.

You'll just have to go on condition, weigh and find your own perfect weight :D

3. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

They do vary a lot in size and build. I had a staffy x collie and the vet had a chart for different breeds and said Barney was a bit on the heavy side at 17.5 kilos but because he was a cross and had a waist and could feel back two ribs he was ok. It's better to go by the look rather than a specific weight.

4. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

i agree... depends on the size and build...
    i have 3 sizes of yorkie... a 3lb a 5.5lb and a 9lb. none of them are over or under their ideal weight...

5. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

Definitely too hard to give an ideal. It is far better going by eye and seeing how they look.
    The staffy I have is 20kg and she is a 'medium' sized i'd say. Also depends how much muscle they have as muscle weighs quite a lot.

6. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

thats a Very good point... mu poppet (the 9lb-er) is very muscular- if i didn't exercise her i could probably get her closer to 8lb, but she looks awesome when shes running about the fields, so no point denying her that just to get the weight closer to the 'upper breed standard'
    breed standards are a guide- not many dogs will be built to fit it 100%
    have him at what you feel looks right, then if you doubt yourself ask on here or at your vets, but go with your gut on the 'ideal'! ;)

7. stranger23

stranger23 PetForums Senior

Will aim for about 20kg then and just go by sight see if she needs more or less its so i could get an idea of what im meant to be feeding her :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice