Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I'd like to share something......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by goodvic2, Jul 8, 2009.

1. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

As most of you know I took on two greek rescue dogs in Jan 08 and then a third english dog in Jan 09. As a first time dog owner the greek guys have been my biggest challenge to date. As they were previously street dogs, they had all sorts of problems. Until we took them on they had never been in a house before. They were scared of everything, we had seperation anxiety, dog aggression, human aggression (all through fear) etc etc. My third dog, Sammy came to us with hyper activitiy issues, which meant he is very over the top with other dogs and anxiety towards humans.

When I first brought Sammy home, max and Lilly tried to literally kill him. Perseverance and trips to the vets and hospital, and now they are firm friends. It did take several months!

Although max and Lilly will never be normal, due to their appauling start in life, they can now be off the lead (seperately) and people stop and comment on my well behaved dogs. They can still react to other dogs, but this is through fear and habit, something I work hard to control. Sammy is also better, again he needs to be managed off the lead, but because of his strong recall, all 3 dogs are managable.

Three days ago, I took on a rottweiler, on a temporary basis to help out a friend. It took 2 days until Max and Lilly accepted him and we had no fights. It has the potential to go wrong, but we managed it and now I would feel happy to leave all 4 dogs on their own.

I tell this story to give encouragement. I have suffered the worst lows, but the best high's. Sometimes, there never seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel, but I can see it.

I long for the day that I can have all my dogs off the lead, together, in a park. I'm not sure if I will ever achieve this, but maybe.....

So for those of you who get days when you wonder "is this ever going to work?", keep this story in mind.........

My dogs bring me the biggest pleasure and I'm so glad I didn't give up x

Luvdogs likes this.
  2. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

what a lovely story, sounds like you have done a wonderfull job, wish there were more people like you, :D

3. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Wow It's all down to your commitment and hard work ;) well done, would love to see some pics :D
    I recently fostered a street dog from Romania, though he was very young and didn't have too many issues, but understandably VERY nervous. (i could have kept him :p)

What a lovely positive post, dog ownership isn't easiest at the best of times, but what they give back makes it all worth it :)

4. justenuf

justenuf PetForums Member

Well done you and here's hoping you get your wish................walking the dogs together is something a lot of us take for granted..............thank you for sharing your story with us.....I shall appreciate our next walk a lot more x

5. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

All 5 of mine are Turkish street dogs - well done you will achieve your goal and they will always surprise you with what they can achieve albeit hard work at times. Love to hear stories like yours.

6. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

7. clueless

clueless Banned

Lovely story and well done for getting them as far as you have. I know you will one day be able to let them all run together down the park. You sound so dedicated to your Pets

8. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

Good job, and who really need to spend 1-3000euro for a dog wen so many is needing. :) Your my idol. lol
    Actually guys like me who loves breeds like ebt/pitbul and american bulldogs can really profit, the dog most likely to be abandoned is these kind. Stupid steroid skinheads anyone? :) (at least here).

edit: I don't mean to bash anyone, each their own. :) Just remember a old abandoned dog is just as likely to give one the love of anything, as a new purchased 1500pound puppy.

#9 Varkhond, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

How very true x

Thank you everybody for your very kind words :)

10. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

Amazing and really inspirational. :)

You've done a fantastic job there and you should be really proud! :):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice